This Page

has been moved to new address

Accent Marks, Currency & Math Symbols, Unique Punctuation: Part 1 of Fun Things You Never Knew You Could Do With Your Computer
Between Naps on the Porch: Accent Marks, Currency & Math Symbols, Unique Punctuation: Part 1 of Fun Things You Never Knew You Could Do With Your Computer

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Mar 13, 2012

Accent Marks, Currency & Math Symbols, Unique Punctuation: Part 1 of Fun Things You Never Knew You Could Do With Your Computer

Today I'll be sharing 3 different posts, each highlighting a "Fun Thing You Can Do With Your Computer" that you may not already know about.  Instead of putting them all together in one post, I'll be posting each one separately so if you wish to refer back to any of these, you won't have to scroll through lots of info to get to what you need.

I'm adding each of these posts to a category called Blogging Tips and Tutorials.  You'll find links to all the Blogging posts (as well as past tutorials) at the bottom of the BNOTP home page.  You'll also find them under the category heading "Renovations/Tuts" at the top of this blog.  

Hope you enjoy!  

How to Type Accent Marks, Currency Symbols and other Fun Stuff:

Do you sometimes find you need to type a word with an accent mark?  What about the occasional currency mark or degree symbol?  I discovered a while back that the "alt" key has a lot of hidden capabilities, so I thought I'd share this info with you today in case you weren't aware.  The way I discovered it was Googling "how to type an accent mark on a keyboard."  I was amazed at all the things you can type/create with the "alt" key.

Here's a brief list of some of the accent marks you can type.  To type any of these shown below, you simply hold down the "alt" key, type the numbers you see beneath the letter, then release the alt key.

For example, if you wish to type the word "macramé" in the correct form with the accent showing over the e, you would type the letters macram, and when you get to the é, hold the alt key on your keyboard, and with the alt key depressed, type the number 0233 on the numeric keypad.  Then release the alt key and the e with an accent mark above it should miraculously appear.   It's like magic!

Don't try to use the numeric keys at the top of your keyboard—that won't work.  You will need to type the numbers on the numeric keypad that's built into your keyboard.   

Update:  If you have a laptop that doesn't have a separate numeric keypad, try pressing the "Num Lock" down and then try typing these symbols (following the directions above) using the numbers across the top.  You'll find more info for typing symbols on laptops HERE.

Have fun holding down the alt key and pressing numbers to see what you can get.  (Don't forget to release the alt key after you type the number to see what appears.)  Numbers 3, 4, 5 and 6 will give you each of the 4 suits you find in a deck of cards: 3 = ♥, 4 = ♦, 5 = ♣, and 6 = ♠.    Numbers 13 and 14 will give you musical notes: 13 = ♪ and 14 = ♫.  Cute!

Below you'll find some charts showing some of the symbols/accents you can type using the alt key.   These work for computers with the Windows operating system.   Have a Mac or Apple computer?
  I found THIS article and THIS article showing how to make symbols on a Mac.

Be sure to click on "click to continue reading" to see all the charts.


Alt Code for Currency Symbols:






Alt Code for Math Symbols:





Alt Code for Fractions:




Alt Code for Punctuation and Other Symbols:


(Above charts were found HERE.)  


Labels: ,

25 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Carol said...

Thank you! That has always baffled me!

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Art From The heart said...

Thanks, I'll look forward to the next posts. Always fun to learn new things.
Hugs

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Pamela Gordon said...

Susan, that is great information. Thanks for sharing it with us. I've always wondered how to make the acute and grave symbols. Olé! Hugs, Pamela

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Carol at Serendipity said...

Susan,
Can this be done on a Mac? I don't have a numeric key pad.....
Carol

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Carol, I'm not sure about Mac or Apple computers. I just googled and found this:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Symbols-on-a-Mac

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

I have a laptop with no other numbers but the ones at top , will it not work ?

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Sharon, you can try it, but I believe it only works with a numeric keypad. Try it and let me know if it works. If the numbers across the top of your keyboard are dedicated keys, meaning they don't function to make anything else other than numbers, maybe it will work. Let me know!

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger kenju said...

I had the same comment as Sharon. I'll try it later, as I'm off to the doc now.

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Sharon, I just Googled and read something that said it may work if you press the "num lock" key down first. So press down the number lock key to lock that in, then follow the directions above and let me know if it works.

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Judy, I just Googled and read something that said it may work if you press the "num lock" key down first. So press down the number lock key to lock that in, then follow the directions above and let me know if it works.

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Herballistic Garden said...

Oh my gosh....I have always wondered how to do the little extra language accents! Thankyou very much. xo wendy

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Deserae said...

Oh this is so fun....I will have to try it out later :o)
~Des

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Patricia @ ButterYum said...

What? No way! This is so great!!! (you post the most useful information, always!!!)

Thanks,
Patricia
ButterYum

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Gina said...

Dear Susan, You are amazing. Always coming up with the most helpful hints. What I appreciate the most is that you take the time to explain in simple terms and make the instructions easy to follow. You are a Jewel!

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Kathy Walker said...

Great post! Thank you so much.

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Shannon said...

Thanks for sharing this~I just pinned it because I've always wondered how in the world to get those little hearts on my page:)

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Mellodee said...

I actually knew about this (I was an office worker for YEARS...you learn a lot.) The only drawback is there is no easy way to keep track of the codes (that I know of) and that a lot of numbers to try to remember!! LOL!

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Mellodee, I just printed out a list of the ones I most often use/need, which are the accents, the punctuation (like the dash) and occasionally the musical notes or hearts. Really the ones I've shown/mentioned here are the ones I primarily use.

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Awesome post, who knew? I always thought it was special html knowledge, well I guess it is technically but easier than I realized...............but I cannot seem to get it quite right yet. DH will know, I will ask him when he gets home from work - thanks Susan!!!!

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2012 , Blogger Jen C. said...

Neato! I immediately created a handy list in Word of the ones that I know I'll use. It's so much easier than plugging in symbols from the format bar. Thanks for sharing!

 
At Saturday, March 17, 2012 , Anonymous Lindy said...

The codes are available on your PC using the "Character Map."
To open Character Map: Click the Start button. In the Search box, type Character Map, and then, in the list of results, double-click Character Map. Once in the Character Map, click on the symbol you want and on the bottom right side, you will see the "ALT + Number" for that symbol. I prefer to drag the character to the "Characters to copy" space, click on the "copy" button, and then paste it to the document.

 
At Saturday, March 17, 2012 , Blogger Barbara said...

Hi Susan, It has been a while and there are so many changes in everything....hope I can catch up. Glad to see you are still here and doing your wonderful post, I don't have time this morn to read the above, but I will be back.

 
At Saturday, March 17, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just love the extra lil tidbits you share with us!

Lolly (CaMinx)

 
At Saturday, March 17, 2012 , Blogger My Cozy Corner said...

Hi Susan,
I just printed all the helpful hint posts. I need to get busy and update my blog. The blogging process is changing so fast and I would love to have more activity. Your blog is awesome. It's so much fun to work from home. I worked from home for 10 years and then went out to work. Now I'm home again. Hopefully my blog will grow and I can see some monetary value some day. Thanks for your fabulous posts.
xo
Betty

 
At Monday, April 09, 2012 , Blogger ❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

I'm way behind on reading your posts and am having to backtrack. Good thing I am as this info is so helpful and will be fun to incorporate alot of the tips. In fact, I copied and pasted them into a Word document! :)

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home