This Page

has been moved to new address

Baking with Mark Ballard
Between Naps on the Porch: Baking with Mark Ballard

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Feb 28, 2010

Baking with Mark Ballard


Something tasty for your Sunday...Mark Ballard has a fun video posted at Macon.com. He's making a yummy Strawberry Cake. (Sorry about this teeny pic...it really distorted badly when I tried to enlarge it.)



Did you know about Swans Down Cake Flour? I do now...and I will definitely be using it for my next cake! Thanks, Mark!

Mark shares a lot of great tips about which hand mixer he prefers to use, how to flour your cake pans for the best results...he even shows us how to pipe icing for a pretty cake. I always love Mark's cooking videos at Macon.com because not only do you learn a few new tricks to use the next time you're baking, but you come away feeling like you just had a nice visit with a good friend. :-) Oh, and you're gonna love the Lazy Susan idea!

Mark, if you see this...how much confectioner's sugar do we use in the icing? I don't remember seeing that part in the video. If anyone else catches it, please let me know...I'd love to try this recipe sometime.

Click HERE to watch Mark make a delicious Strawberry Cake, Southern style...no cheating with a box mix allowed. ;-)

If you'd like to keep up with Mark, you can follow him on Facebook, HERE.

I've previously posted links to Mark's website and some of his other videos...you will find those, HERE, as well as pics of Mark's beautifully decorated home.

BTW, I loved reading the results of your "Color Career" tests from yesterday. It seems most of us felt the test was pretty accurate. :-)

See you tonight for Met Monday!

14 Comments:

At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger Jojo said...

I love Mark Ballard!! Thanks for featuring him. He is one of Georgia's best kept secrets as far as I'm concerned.

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger Susan Freeman said...

Since I don't live in Georgia, I am not familiar with Mark. I watched his video and copied down the recipe. Sounds delicious and I will give it a try. Cupcakes might be nice for this recipe too. Thanks for sharing it with us! Strawberries are perfect for a spring dessert.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger The Muse said...

you always lead us to the colorful design light :)

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger Sue said...

Strawberry cake...mmm, sounds like spring to me!

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger Decor To Adore said...

I used to live right outside of Macon and wrote a design column for the local paper. I went to quite a few "Mark" events. I have a few of his cookbooks and an apron.
Alas, after checking I did find your strawberry cake but once again it did not say how much sugar for the icing. Baker's secret? :)

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I watched the video and Mark is a crack up! I love his southern accent and the way he expresses himself! Thanks for sharing.

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger Eileen said...

Well, I can't taste it, but your cake sure looks pretty!
Thanks for sharing all this info!
All the best,
Eileen

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger Love Being A Nonny said...

I want to try this! Thanks for sharing!

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger flower said...

Susan,
Thanks for sharing Mark Ballard with everyone. He is indeed a gifted artist. I just love all the things that He does. Makes me smile !!!

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger Its So Very Cheri said...

I came over to let you know that my blog has moved and I would be ever so grateful if you would come to the new site and RE-sign up to follow me there.

www.itssoverycheri.com
Cheri

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger Low Tide High Style said...

What a beautiful and whimsical home he has, thanks so much for sharing the link to it!

I can't wait to watch his video about making a yummy strawberry cake!

Kat :)

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness Susan - you have beautiful table scapes, a beautiful home, and you cook too - gal you are one in a million - I'm not telling my hubby about what all you do - lol - he might trade me in.
Hope you had a great weekend. I'm going to check out the website.
Sandie

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger Kathleen said...

We used to have that a long time ago, but not anymore!

 
At Sunday, February 28, 2010 , Blogger The Little Red Shop said...

Your new house looks like a lovely endeavor, indeed! I've joined your party, (thank you) with a little itty bitty repurposing project of my own.

Happy Monday!

: )

Julie M.

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home