This Page

has been moved to new address

Happy Valentine's Day!
Between Naps on the Porch: Happy Valentine's Day!

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Feb 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

I've received several comments/e-mails asking about the cake recipe I used to make the little heart shaped cakes featured in last week's Tablescape Thursday. I used a recipe given to me by my MIL many years ago. It's a basic cake recipe called a 1234 Cake, and it's the same cake recipe I use when I make a coconut cake each year at Christmastime. You'll find the recipe in this previous post, HERE.



I found my heart pan at the Base Exchange on a local Air Force base, but I've also seen them in Michaels. They are made by Wilton and HERE is a link to the Wilton site where you can order one.


If you have a Michaels near your home, it would be less expensive to buy it there using one of their 40% off coupons that are sometimes available in the local paper. I'm not sure if they have the coupons on their website or not...would be worth checking, though. If you have seen the pan in other stores while out shopping, please feel free to leave a comment saying where you've seen them available.

I always grease my pans with shortening...I used Crisco. It was really tricky getting it down into all the grooves...but the cakes came out very easily so it was worth the effort. A cooking spray would probably work...but I just prefer to use the regular stuff from the can.


Next, I sprinkled them with sifted, powdered sugar and added Raspberry Preserves to the center where the little cakes are hollowed out. They were yummy! :-)

See you tonight for Met Monday!

26 Comments:

At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Susan!

Oh how delicious! They are so adorable and I've got to find one of those pans - I'll be checking at Michaels. It makes a very special dessert. As the Barefoot Contessa says "your guests will never what you served for dinner but they'll always remember the dessert"!

Love your Mary Frances purse on your previous post - scrumptious!

Happy Valentines Day! hugs, Sherry

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Love Being A Nonny said...

I LOVE these!! I might buy the pan and give them a try!

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Suzanne said...

Oh, wow. Those are gorgeous cakes. Wonder if they'd be easier than the heart-shaped linzer cookies i was just googling recipes for? Hmmm....

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Chubby Chieque said...

TY a mill...

Hope you enjoy celebrating Heart's Day.

Greetings from snowy Stockholm.
xoxo

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Ginger said...

Oh how beautiful, thank you so much for the recipe and hint where to get the pan. I want to try these. Love your blog.

Ginger
glitter and roses

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Martha said...

I'm not big on novelty pans but those cakes are wonderful . . . I may just have to add that to Linderhof's pan collection!

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Babs said...

Susan,
Thanks for sharing the cake recipe and tips for the darling heart shaped cakes. Yum! Gonna try these.
Have a Happy Valentine's Day.

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Bunny said...

Happy Valentine, your little cakes look so beautiful and yummy. Have a wonderful day. I must checkout that recipe. Thanks

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

Uhhh…yum, these looks delish and so fancy!
Happy Valentine’s Day to ya. Hope it’s filled with lots of love and warm fuzzies.

Kendra
http://domesticprincessintraining.blogspot.com

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Unknown said...

Those are so pretty... almost too pretty to eat.

Happy Valentine's Day!!

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Lori E said...

They look so special. I have some mini bundt pans and the cakes come out fine but the clean up takes forever, getting in all the grooves.
Happy Valentine's Day! Hope it is a good one.

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Linda @ A La Carte said...

I might just have to look for one of those pans also. We have several novelty bundt pans for pound cake but none that makes the little individual cakes. I will have to try the recipe also. Happy Valentine's Day Susan.

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Susan said...

Oh, Susan, your heart cakes look so festive and beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photos of them, plus, thanks for the 1234 Cake recipe. You are the best! Happy Sweetheart's Day! Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Tara G. said...

Wilton also makes a pan greaser (I can't remember the name) which you can brush on with a pastry brush- it works quite well.

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Sonia said...

Susan,

I have always admired these cakes on your header..so pretty and looks so delicious..I'm going to have to get one of those pans! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas! Happy Valentine's Day!

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Rustique Gal said...

Susan, these cakes look fabulous. Thanks for including the recipe! Have a LOVEly Day! Sherry

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger ShirleyC said...

Oh Wow! I thought I was going to take a bite out of the computer screen! After being on WW for 5 weeks, those sort of make me weak. LOL
They do look very scrumptious!

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, sweet girl! Thank you so much for generously sharing your family recipe with us. You are so generous to so this! And to that end, I wish one of the sweetest bloggers out there a Very Happy Valentine's Day!

XO,

Sheila :-)

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger The Muse said...

for giving so much to so many...may this day of love find you doubly blessed!

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful and i'll bet they ARE delicious.....Anniepoo

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Carey said...

Hi Susan,

Happy Valentin's Day. Thanks for all your help and friendship.
Carey from Chicory Nits

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Atticmag said...

Susan those cakes look professional. I'm definitely purchasing a pan myself. How precious for a "ladies" lunch. Thanks!

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2010 , Blogger Sandy said...

I'll be looking for that pan also.. the presentation makes you want to eat them... thank you

http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

 
At Monday, February 15, 2010 , Blogger laura may said...

They look so gorgeous. Nice job!

lm. x

 
At Wednesday, February 17, 2010 , Blogger Tardevil said...

Only commenting to say that you can sign up for (I think they call it The Knack...Michael's monthly e-newsletter), and they will send coupons by e-mail every.single.week!

 
At Saturday, November 12, 2011 , Anonymous dea said...

looks so yummie

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home