This Page

has been moved to new address

Dish Storage Welcome to the 54th Metamorphosis Monday!
Between Naps on the Porch: Dish Storage Welcome to the 54th Metamorphosis Monday!

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Jan 24, 2010

Dish Storage Welcome to the 54th Metamorphosis Monday!

For this week's Met Monday, I'm sharing a small but fun little metamorphosis in my china closet. You may remember when I posted a while back about the little redo of this space...it was really being poorly utilized. It was being used to store deck cushions that were rarely used.




After a little renovation, (you may read about HERE) it looked like this...cushions stored in the top, birdseed and birding items in large containers on the floor, and china on the shelves in between.




Later, I decided to move the birdseed and birding containers back to the laundry room and I ended up storing my tall candlesticks on the floor, instead.




This closet has now gone through yet, another little change. The deck cushions were moved to an upstairs linen closet, since they are so rarely used. Most of my outdoor time is spent on the screened-in porch (not the decks) due to the mean ole mosquitoes we have here in the south.




Do you see the "After" there on the top shelf? I totally stole Bonnie's idea from her amazing dish room...remember that post HERE? I was shopping in The Home Depot and they had plastic "shoebox size" containers for only .99 cents each. I remembered Bonnie's dish room and bought 20 of them.




Next, I took pics of the items I planned to store in the boxes. I found the photos turned out better if the items were photographed on a white surface or white piece of paper, as opposed to a dark table. I took black and white photos, sized them down to what Microsoft Picture Manager calls "E-mail Large," and printed them out. It took a little experimenting around to find the best size pic for the box. I could have taken them in color...and printed them in color, but I just decided to go with black and white.

I used double-sided tape to stick them onto the containers. I saved the pics on my computer just in case one gets ripped off or damaged. Of course, you could take wide clear tape and place it across the top of each photo/label to ensure they stay secure and undamaged...I may eventually do that. The boxes are large enough to store 2-3 sets of napkin rings in one box, depending, of course, on the size of the napkin ring.


Much better use of this space now, I think. There's not much I love more than organizing. Okay, blogging...I love blogging more than organizing...but organizing may be a close second. :-)

Update: Bonnie just e-mailed and gave me some additional information that you may find helpful: "Another way to do the pictures on the bins is to use a label printing software, add the picture to the design and print on large labels. Or, you can also use a "Xyron" to add adhesive to the back of your printed pictures." Thanks, Bonnie, for those suggestions!

Looking forward to seeing all your "Before and Afters."



If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday, please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. If you aren't sure how to obtain your permalink or have any questions about using Mr. Linky for this post, just click HERE for detailed instructions.

Don't forget to copy and paste the Met Monday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Met Monday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Metamorphosis Monday.

Please be sure to link back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch, so your fellow bloggers who are participating today, will get lots of visits, as well.

Please do not add your link below until your Met Monday post is actually published to your blog.

Fabulous "Before and Afters" await your visit:

Labels: , ,

79 Comments:

At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Anonymous Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Fabulous organization idea with those bins. One of these days . . . Your outdoor cushions are wonderful even if you don't get to use them due to the skeeters! They are awful, aren't they?

Christi @ A Southern Life

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger anythinggoeshere said...

How organized it looks! I am so envious. What a great job you did.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Sharlotte said...

Susan,
I've been following your closet metamorphosis and each time I think, "it's perfect!". But this time I truly think it is {until you think of something else really nifty!!!} I love the storage boxes, they are perfect for your things...hm...now that I think about it, I think I can do this in my closet as well! YIPPEE! I also like the labeling...it's just so darn smart! As always, thanks for hosting this party and being a true inspiration!
Sharlotte

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger amariaf2000 said...

Oh, am I too late to add a gardening book to the widget? It's my personalized signed copy of "Private Gardens of Georgia" by Polly M Mattox and Helen M Bost - a book written by a coworker's mother and sister. It's so beautiful!

~angela @ peonypatch

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger {oc cottage} said...

OH! The pictures on the boxes is a genius idea! I can put things away...but remembering what I put where is a whole other story! ;}

m ^..^

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I love it! It looks like a gorgeous organized wonderland :). Thanks for hosting!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Susan! I love your closet redo! Great idea about the shoe size boxes and the photos of the contents! Congrats to your tassel winner! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Paula@SweetPea said...

Your storage closet looks terrific and is oh so functional. I'd love to have space to do something similar.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susan! Oh, you're just the smartest one! First of all, I love your dish storage closet and it looks so good in there. Those little plastic boxes are a wonderful solution for little things. I may have to try this one. Now if I just had a dish closet like yours! :) Thanks again for being our wonderful hostess!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

That's a great way to organize all of the little bits and pieces of your tablescapes! Nice job. Have a great day!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Paula Grace Designs said...

OMG! What a great idea. Labeling them the way you did makes it so easy. Congratulations to Donna on her win :)
Paula Grace ~

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so very organized....I must try to learn from your example. Most of my pretty things are stored in an old server with solid doors. It is hard to be inspired to use them if I can't see them.

I joined your link up for Met Monday. We are hard at work at our beach house. Not beautiful yet but you have to build the walls before you can hang the art.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Nancy said...

That was an excellent idea. I have many of those boxes from my old computer business, cables were in them. Someday...now I using glass jars for smaller items.

Very nice closet!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I can always breath easier when things are organized. Your closet looks so good and is so efficient too!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger susan said...

Susan-I love your boxes and labels! The pictures are a stroke of genius! OOPS! I'm sorry I'm entered twice on Mr. Linky. I am not sure how I managed that. I couldn't delete it. Thanks for another great MM!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Anonymous Janis@White Alder[Home] said...

WOW that is soooooooo organized........I'd love to spend an afternoon checking out all your wonderful treasures.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger The Charm of Home said...

I love your organized closet. The pictures are a great idea on boxes, especially for those of us who are visual learners!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Becca Bertotti said...

Wow! I'm so impressed with your closet !! So organized ... love the picture-labeled boxes !! It must make you feel so good to be sooooooo organized !! Thanks for the inspiration (and for letting me share my guest bath). Take care, Becca (Adventures in Decorating)

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the bins with the pictures on the outside, very smart! Thank you for always doing such a neat job with your posts!

Mary
from Virginia

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger My Shabby Rose Cottage said...

Great idea!! I love those clear shoe boxes! Your closet is looking good!!

Have a Creative Day!
Linda

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Allison Shops said...

Wow! And I thought I was organized. Looks great and easy to do.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Sandra said...

Wow! I love the difference! I love the idea of adding the little pictures to each box. You are such an inspiration to us all. I too am starting to organize and rearrange my house. Thank you for hosting Met Monday. I truly enjoy visiting everyone's posts.
Sandra

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Anonymous Beverly @ My Sew Sweet Studio said...

You are certainly getting the best use out of that closet. The storage boxes are a great idea and love the way you labeled them. I love organizing too....I just need to get inspired to do some of my own.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am soooo envious of your closet! It's wonderful to have all your wares organized.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Jeanette P. said...

Well I guess I got my answer to where you store all your china!! It looks so amazing and you know just where everything is. If my dish collection keeps growing I think I am going to need one of those closets my self. You did a wonderful job, thanks for posting my "ideal" dream closet :)

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I like how your closet is metamorphosizing {is that a word?} to suit your needs, Susan! I find I do that, too. I have to tell you I mentioned you in a post this weekend that has to do with your post on all those decorating books!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Allie and Pattie said...

Those plastic boxes are one of the greatest inventions EVER. We've used this idea for years and couldn't be without it. And yes, since we've moved South, we cannot BELIEVE the mosquitos!!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What a wonderful way to organize! The photos on the boxes is such a great idea!

I'm having a Blogaversary giveaway! Come on over!

Katherine

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Jojo said...

Hi Susan, Obviously the compilation of our favorite books took a while but what a gift for your readers. I have already ordered one book and will continue to use this as a guide for additional purchases. Thank you.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Love how you organized your closet! What a clever idea to put the photos on the front of the boxes like that. I've seen people do that with shoes, but never with other items like that.

Thanks for hosting another fun Met Monday!! :-)

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

That is just unreal. I would love to not only be that organized, but to have that many fabulous items to put on the table.
I'm swooning!
Thanks for hosting Met Monday! I love all the projects every week!
~Amy

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Great makover!! I love how organized as well as beautiful it looks!

Congrats to the winner of the tassel.
Penny

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

What a great transformation! It looked great the first time around but just got better and better.

Kendra

http://domesticprincessintraining.blogspot.com

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger xinex said...

Good idea, Susan. I have been doing something similar except I am using bigger plastic bins to fit sets of dinnerware but I have been taking pictures and taping thme outside the bin. I have extended my china storage in the garage walk in closet....Christine

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger dee dee said...

Susan,
Your closet keeps getting better and better! I love this idea! I am currently organizing my art studio and could use this idea to organize my various art supplies! Thanks for sharing... Dee Dee

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Glenda/MidSouth said...

Would love to have a storage closet like that. Nothing to contribute this week, but did a shopping trip post and linked to your "Classy Flea" trip.
Have a great week.
Glenda

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Sarah said...

Susan, how great to have these organized into shoe size boxes with those photo labels. My holiday decorations are organized like this, but I need more space to organize my table things. Oh how I wish for a another huge closet off my dining room or better yet, that Butler's Pantry I've always dreamed of. Sigh!
Thanks for the inspiration. Always enjoy my visits to the porch!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Caroline said...

I wish I had a spare closet that I could do this to! What a great idea and I love the wreath that is hanging on the door.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That transformation is dreamy! I never knew a storage closet could look so good.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Deb said...

Susan,

Thank you for hosting Metamorphosis Monday -- the ideas are wonderful. Your closet is great, and I'm thinking the bins could work for my office supplies when I (hopefully) build those bookshelves for my office. Also loved your photos from your trip to the flea market. So fun.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Mad in Crafts said...

Thanks for the awesome organizing tips!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Heidi said...

wow, you are so organized!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 , Blogger Dixie said...

Susan.. it's been so long since I've "morphed" anything or did a tablescape... I feel out of the loop... but moving my booth and painting certainly called for a Met Monday post...

I love your china closet organization... the shoe boxes are the perfect thing... I think I may steal that one myself!

Your blog is as lovely as always! Wonderful ideas and much beauty.

blessings. Dixie

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Anonymous Joselyn said...

Love your closet and the shoe box organization is awesome. Thanks for the great ideas.

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Anonymous Leanne said...

The transformation of your closet is amazing! I love a beautifully organized closet and yours gives me goose bumps. Thanks for hosting.

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger agreenearth said...

Great cupboards. Love the photo idea, looks good and a great time saver when searching for items.

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Chandy said...

As always, lovely ideas and tips!

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Shoe boxes, what an excellent idea!

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Gloria said...

Susan, you and Bonnie are the BEST organizers! PLUS, you both have such gorgeous things for your china/glassware/silverware closets! I love all of your stuff! You are two lucky ladies! Thanks for sharing.
Best regards,
Gloria

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Candy said...

What a great idea for quickly spotting that perfect thang!
Happy Met Blessings ;-)

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Just a dreamer said...

Great idea, Susan. I loved it when Bonnie did it. Now, if I only had a closet!!! What else is that clever, creative lady up to these days?

Looking forward to when you put together the "blooper" post. That should be hysterical. As always, Jackie A HUGE Fan

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic, I hope to get organized some day and also hope to have lots of dishes for TT! fun,fun.

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger One Cheap B*tch said...

I wish I was that organized! It's one of my new year's resolutions! Can't wait to check out everyone's links!

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger black eyed susans kitchen said...

So inspiring. Maybe it's my age, but I am finding that I feel more comfortable when everything is organized.
♥, Susan

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Anonymous Kristin@Bouelvard Interior Design said...

Love it! I'm addicted to organization. When you look in that space it must give you such a sense of calm.

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

Great organization tips. The plastic shoebox idea is great and I love the pictures on the front so you can see the items stored inside. I did a post on dish storage this week and I have a giveaway....be sure and come by for a visit when you have a chance and thanks for hosting this fun party each week.

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger lifeshighway said...

Congratualations Donna, I so wanted the gnome tassle.

The closet organization is inspiring.

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Unknown said...

I love it so much that I am almost speechless!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Susan said...

I love the entire organization of your closet! the pictures and ideas for labeling are great and I like the idea of clear shoeboxes. Your closet is fabulous! keep those organizational ideas coming.

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Smocking with Gwen said...

This came at the perfect moment for me!!!!! I have been hinting to my husband that I needed a "dish closet" to which I think he thought I was kidding! HA! When we lived in Germany, we lived about an hour from Mettlach, Germany...home of the Villeroy & Boch factory.... To think, I only came home with 3 sets of china!

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Richella Parham said...

I love your closet! And those clear storage boxes with the photos. . . what a great tip! This would be a great thing to do with little ones--instead of labeling a box with words they can't read, you could label it with photos of their things. Matter of fact, that might be a good idea for kids of all ages. Maybe this would help me put things back where they belong!

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't these bins great! I have been using them in the top shelf our coat closet for years. I found these at a dollar store. We added a shelf above the one the builder installed in the foyer and in most of our closets. A little later I added the bins to this one. I labeled them with a label maker and use them for storing for our light bulbs, winter hats, gloves, scarves,etc. The accessories for the winter coats are stored next to the coats and umbrellas for easy access.

Charlotte from Charlotte

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Great storage ideas for the closet. I sold our teak dining room suite as I am buying a friend's dark cherry set. It isn't as big as mine was and I have been wondering where I'll put all my china, napkins etc. but now I know!

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Fifi Flowers said...

Oops LATE to the party... but staying LONG to listen to your FAB music selection!
ENJOY your day!
Fifi

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Melissa Miller said...

~WOW! Susan the storage bins are truly amazing! Love this idea! :)

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Becca Bertotti said...

LOVE how your closet turned out !! The bins are fab, and I love how you have pics of the stemware pattern on the outside ... genious !! Thanks for hosting such a fun get together ... I love seeing everyone's inspirational projects. Becca (Adventures in Decorating)

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

Hi Susan, I haven't been over for awhile and seem to have some bloggers block going on right now!! Your closet is very inspiring, love how the tub organizers have the stemware photo on the outside so you don't have to sort them all! I'm sorry to have missed the tassel give-a-way too, how pretty they are! Have a great week! Thank you for hosting! Luanne

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger mgster said...

that looks wonderful! Doesn't it make you feel so organized when you do something like this.

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Michelle said...

love those tubs! fantastic idea putting the pics right on them. thanks for hosting!

blessings!
michelle

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Kendall@ Finesse Your Nest said...

Love your plastic shoeboxes with the pictures. Wow! That is SUCH a great idea!

 
At Monday, January 25, 2010 , Blogger Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Susan, how organized you are! That is so great to be able to look at the picture and know what is inside the box, and it looks so nice too. Great idea. laurie

 
At Tuesday, January 26, 2010 , Blogger Paula Grace Designs said...

Hi Susan,

I wanted to invite you and your readers to a party!

I'm hosting a weekly party on Tuesdays starting Feb 2nd (next week) on timeless classics ~ check this post out for the details. http://paulagracedesigns.blogspot.com/2010/01/timeless-tuesday.html

I'm looking forward to having you there!

Paula Grace ~

 
At Tuesday, January 26, 2010 , Blogger Pam said...

Susan, I love your organized closet! We recently moved into a bigger house and let me tell you, I am in organizational nirvana! :) I now have room in closets to be as organized as possible. I love it! Thanks for the continued inspiration!

 
At Wednesday, January 27, 2010 , Blogger Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Susan,
I love the little bins with the black and white photo labels! How cute all of your lovely things look in their little pics! Just opening the closet must make you so happy!
~Nancy

 
At Tuesday, September 28, 2010 , Anonymous Betty1819 said...

What a neat idea to store sets of silverware and napkins rings,etc. in those clear storage boxes. Wished I had a closet like that to put my stuff in. One of these days, I'm going to get organized! How many sets of silveware do you own? I've noticed that you really know how to coordinate them so well with your china and crystal that you are using. You are so creative! I tend to not be able to estimate how many boxes I would need, and only buy the minimum I think I will use, then when I got back to get more, they're no longer available or out of stock. Since I don't get an opportunity to shop alone without somebody who will remain nameless saying "you don't need that!" Dropped out of the dinner party group so there's not that much of a need for any new sets.

 
At Thursday, April 07, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to my party, Susan. I love your closet and especially the little napkin rings boxes.
You are a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

 
At Thursday, April 07, 2011 , Blogger sandy said...

Wow, this is my organization dream. Now I have something to aspire to!

 
At Saturday, April 09, 2011 , Blogger Sara said...

Somebody come wave the smelling salts under my nose.

What a DREAM! I may redirect some items in my craft/homeschool closet for DISHES... (I've a bit of a fetish, it seems...)

Thanks for the inspiration!

Sara
www.TheOtherEndOfTheCandle.blogspot.com

 
At Sunday, June 05, 2011 , Blogger Cindy D said...

Isn't it great to finally get it done with those great ideas? Love your blog so much! I am a new follower

iadapt-daily.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home