This Page

has been moved to new address

Pretty in Vintage Pink
Between Naps on the Porch: Pretty in Vintage Pink

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Jan 8, 2010

Pretty in Vintage Pink

The last two days have been so much fun for me. I've been having the best time reading all about you! And YOU, the readers/visitors of BNOTP are very much a diverse group. You range in ages from 24 to 71 and you live all over the United States...from the east coast to the west coast, from the north to south, and everywhere in between. You live in Canada, Australia, Sweden and England. Some of you are retired, (I'm jealous) but those of you who are still working are Teachers, Ministers of Music, Missionaries, Interior Designers, Florists, Decorators, Doctors, Curators, Jewelery Designers, Internet Marketers, Police Officers, Social Workers, Writers, Bankers, CPA's, Artists, Hospital Administrators, Nurses, Genetic Researchers, Directors of Oncology and even work in Water Management in our Wetlands.

With all these diverse interests, backgrounds and geographic differences, you all share a common goal...to create a warm, inviting, and beautiful environment in your home. Many of you recognize that your careers are sometimes stressful or demanding...so having a calm, cozy place to come home to at the end of each day is very important. It's where you recharge and get ready for whatever the next day may have in store. I very much relate to that because of the field I'm in. Yvonne asks what field I work in. Mary, I think you and I may do similar work. I spend my days investigating reported cases of abuse, neglect and exploitation of the elderly and disabled. Isn't it wonderful that with our many different interests, locales, lifestyles and careers, we all come together each week and share what we know and love. Is this a great world or what?!

If you didn't get a chance to read the comments left on Thursday's post, you may want to take a minute to do that. Several of you were excited to find other bloggers/readers living near by. I've met some of the most wonderful friends via blogging...amazes me every time I think about it. We go antiquing together, to lunch, to the theater, on home tours and even attend dinner parties at each other's homes. That was an unexpected and delightful benefit I never dreamed of when I started blogging.

Thank you again for taking time to tell me a little about you. I've jotted down some of the suggestions you had for future posts. They were great suggestions and hopefully I can work on those. :-) Someone asked about a post detailing how one might spot a good antique when out antiquing. I'm not sure I'm qualified to cover that...I tend to buy what I love and just go a lot on instinct. Maybe Maureen (see Maureen's comment) could e-mail me some information on that subject, since she used to work in that field...then I could post it for everyone. How about it Maureen?

Vintage Dress for Pink Saturday:
A few months ago, I was bumping around inside a local antique/thrift shoppe called, A Classy Flea, and I came across something really neat. I'll let you read their description before I show you the pics of it in the store.  (Click on the pics to enlarge them for easier reading.)





Isn't it beautiful...a wonderful find! I didn't purchase it...but just wanted to share it with you since it's so beautiful! (Click on pic to enlarge.)



A close-up of the top...click on any pic to enlarge for a better view of this gorgeous dress.


"She moves slowly across the path...her heart picks up its pace...she sees a far away silhouette...is it?...could it be? oh, she believes it is...
She moves quicker, then, forgetting how "proper ladies" behave...she raises her pink taffeta and runs towards him...her love."
by The Muse




Be sure to visit Beverly's beautiful blog to see a complete list of all the participants in today's Pink Saturday.

Labels:

59 Comments:

At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

I love vintage clothing, Susan, and believe it or not, I have my grandmother's wedding dress from about 1904. And I have my husband's great aunt's flapper dress, and her father's tails! I need to figure out how to display them. I have one of those dummy figures for clothes, but it's too large!

XO,

Sheila :-)

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger The Muse said...

she moves slowly across the path...her heart picks up its pace...she see a far away silhouette...is it?...could it be? oh, she believes it is...

she moves quicker, then, forgetting how "proper ladies" behave...she raises her pink taffeta and runs towards him...her love.

isn't pink sat. wonderful?

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger Cottage Rose said...

Hello Susan; Happy Pink Saturday;
What a gorgeous Pink Dress and those pink shoes are so cute... How beautiful it would look on a dress makers form.... Have a wonderful weekend..

Hugs;
Alaura

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger Debby said...

Oh my gosh, I love this vintage dress! BEAUTIFUL!
Debby

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger JoAnn in NJ said...

Hi Susan,
I was drawn to BNOTP because I love porches. I love the way you decorate and have really developed an interest in tablescaping as well. I always find myself very drawn to your bonus room featuring the beautiful swedish pine furniture.

I'm JoAnn, in my 40's married to a great, younger guy for a dozen years and the Mom to the most beautiful 4 year old from China. I work in non profit and after a long period of unemployment, I've just been hired at a fabulous non profit org.

I am drawn to older homes, and porches are a passion. I have two - one screen porch and one small back porch. I love making our home a comfy, appealing, retreat for us and our family and friends.

thanks for asking, I appreciate the opportunity to share!

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh it is so pretty and the history is wonderful. Thanks for sharing this.

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger Donna said...

Hi, Susan,
What a great post, and what a wonderful find for her! I've always wanted to find an old trunk full of vintage clothes. :)

I forgot to tell you about me. I live in Mississippi, and I get to stay at home now. My husband was Chief of Police before he retired. I'm now a widow. I have two granddaughters, and next time I get to the Atlanta area, I'm planning on visiting the Classy Flea.
D

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger xinex said...

Ww! What a pretty vintage pink clothing! And with a pretty matching shoes too!...Christine

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger Annesphamily said...

What a beautiful antique dress and shoes!Exquisite! You should display that! It is so gorgeous. Thank you for sharing Pink Saturday with me!
I live in Colorado and work full time for an ENT doctor. I have a wonderful husband and five children, three still at home. Three in college, one in high school and one married with her own phamily. My blog is new and not as wonderful as many I hop over to daily but I am having a giveaway Sunday because I hit 10 plus followers. I am excited and this week is my second week of Pink Saturday's and I still am mulling over ideas! LOL! Thank you for sharing.

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger arkie said...

I love the lace on this dress! What a wonderful find and great story!

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful dress and the story that goes along with it is equally beautiful! Thank you for sharing, and I'm honored to be your youngest (24 year old) reader!

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger Bill said...

What a fascinating post, Susan! Thank you for sharing the story of the beautiful articles of clothing and of the ladies who once owned them. Sometimes antique shops/malls and museums have a great deal in common!

Hope you have a relaxing (and warm!) weekend!

Bill

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger Martha said...

What a treasure and thanks for sharing. A perfect pink Saturday post!

 
At Friday, January 08, 2010 , Blogger Sarah said...

Susan, this is such a sweet post! Love the dress and shoes and the story that goes with them. Vintage clothing is often fabulous! Hope you'll stop by for a visit. I'm sharing chocolates today. ~ Sarah

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Sue said...

What a wonderful post. I tend to obsess over certain "finds" and love to track down the history if I can. I loved reading the details of the this glorious dress.

Sue

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Jemsmom said...

That is beyond stunning!!! I love old dresses and clothing. What a find and what a story to go with it. I grew up in the Nashville area so that was neat to see a bit of Tennessee history there!

My name is Kathryn and I am a stay at home mom to the best 4 year old girl in the world. I married my husband 15 years ago where we first lived in the Nashville area. I taught T-1 and first grade for 5 years and then we moved to Germany for almost three years. After Germany we lived in Michigan for 6 1/2 years where I was blessed after fertility issues with my daughter. I taught 4th and 2nd grade there. This summer we moved to Charleston and it is lovely. I have to say I miss seeing a little bit of snow!

I enjoy your blog so much and all the inspiration you provide. I am going to do a tablescape one day!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Susan, Thanks for your thursday post. I too, had a wonderful time getting to know blogging friends better. God bless you for your work! Your job must be very stressful and rewarding.
This pink post is so touching! I think that dress is a visual of it's time. Pink, modest, ladylike!
Wouldn't you love to be able to wear it for just one day? Or don't you want to know all the stories it could tell? Makes me imagine...
Happy Pink Saturday!
Yvonne

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Claudia said...

This is such fun! Thanks for sharing... I always think about what story lies behind any vintage clothing or object. Even a simple trunk --- but I came across a trunk the other day that had a hidden drawer that apparently no one knew about -- it was full of the coolest photos...

Had i had $500 on me that day I wouldve snapped that up in a minute... but the store owner loved me for finding the pictures.

:) dont you love it when a total stranger falls in love with you on the spot? (ookokkok... so it wasnt my beauty... sigh)

You are always inspiring...
Claudia

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Poppy Cottage said...

Happy Pink Saturday!!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Anonymous Anne said...

Hi Susan, I wasn't able to comment on your previous post so am doing so here. I hope it transmits OK. I'm Anne, 48 year old full time hospital infection doctor, wife, mother of 9 year old Alex and 13 year old Vikki aka Miss Moody, daughter and friend. I live in England, about 30 miles northeast of London in the county of Buckinghamshire. I was interested to read that you investigate suspected cases of abuse in the elderly. God bless you. My mother, who is now 85 has advanced Alzheimer's Disease and is cared for at home by my 88 year old father who is devoted to her. This has heightened my own awareness of problems of elderly care and the huge potential for exploitation. My own parents are, at the moment, managing OK but I think this year will be a difficult one for us all. I have been lurking in blogdom for about 9 months and am loving it. I don't get much time to myself but try to have half an hour or so in the evenings to surf the net. I stumbled across your blog and bookmarked it immediately. I love your home, decor and fab decorating ideas. Thankyou so much for sharing it with me. I'm trying to get my husband to make me a conical form so that I can make an apple and pineapple Williamsburg-style centrepiece for my dining room table next Christmas. What with work, kids and parents not to mention husband and friends, I don't have much time to spend on my home, but you, Mary at Little Red House, Cindy at My Romantic Home and Carolyn at Aiken House and Gardens are all making me look at my untidy cluttered 1960s cluttered 4 bedroom box-like house with fresh eyes. I hope that 2010 will see me actually making my home prettier and displaying my pretty ornaments much better. Thankyou from the bottom of my heart for your blog, you are totally inspirational.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What a beautiful dress! I too would love to hear some of the stories that it could tell. I applaud you for the work that you do. I know your job is very stressful. Love & blessings from NC!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Light and Voices said...

They don't make dresses like that anymore. Stunning.
Joyce M

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Becs said...

Happy Pink Satuday! Loved your research info. And those shoes are so cool! I love vintage!!! Becs

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Maria said...

Hi Susan!
What a great story of the dress~ and Mrs. Albert Worth Hobby~
The fabric and lace are so beautiful~
The ensemble is very 'Jane Austen.'

Thank you for the wonderful blog you have created. It's a great place to visit knowing that so many others are here too ~
Another thank you for sharing about your work. Our elders truly do need advocates ~ May God give you Grace each day*

I went back to read Thursday's comments... I'm glad you reminded us to do that!

I teach sixth grade reading in upstate, NY.
Although I love my work, I'm 5 minutes late every day because I wake up next to my best friend (31 yrs. married) and love to be home too! We have three grown children and two elderly dogs ...
The news 'out there' can get overwhelming ...
but I'm so glad that I started blogging. Here I have found such uplifting people...Thank you for being one of them! ~Blessings & Grace,
Maria

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Kathysue said...

Susan what a wonderful posting of pink loveliness and charm, thank you for sharing,Kathysue

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Beansieleigh said...

Love this dress, and love your post today! Happy Pink Saturday to you, and have a wonderful weekend! ~tina

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Peg said...

What an interesting post! I wish all antiques came with their history intact. It is so neat that the buyer was able to trace the owner. Don't you wish that dress could talk?

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful dress!!!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an interesting story and beautiful find.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Donna said...

Susan, Such a treasure and so beautiful! The dress is amazing. The shoes are just so tiny! My foot has never been that small. I hope to go back to the Classy Flea this spring...loved it!
Blessings,
Donna

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Helen said...

Dear Susan,

This is pure fantasy, make-believe, dress-up time. I love every tiny detail!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Char said...

Wow, not only is the fabric gorgeous, but all the details are just amazing. Perfect in every way except comfort. I don't think ladies back in the day knew what comforatable shoes or clothes were, but they were dressed to the nines anyway in all the latest finery. That is a treasure for sure. Happy Pink Saturday, Char

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Anonymous caren said...

I especially love the shoes. Bless your heart for the job you do for the elderly. I just don't understand why in a country such as ours, the elderly are not respected as in other countries. It is horrible to know that there is so much abuse and neglect with those who have made us what we are today. I applaud you for what I am sure is a hard and heartbreaking job.

Happy PS!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger SmilingSally said...

What an interesting post, Susan. Thanks. Stay warm!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Foley said...

What a fantastic post - The vintage clothing find plus the story behind it! Estate sales are so much fun and usually such a boundless amount of history.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Glennis said...

What a stunning find!! The luck of finding all those accessories, too. You are so right about the thrill of the hunt!

Happy Pink Saturday!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Gypsy Heart said...

Just beautiful! I love seeing beautiful parts of history like this ~ thanks for sharing.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Lady Katherine said...

Oh, Susan this has touched my heart in so many ways. Such a lovely story and to know whom it belonged to. I love the Muse's added verse. So fitting for such a lovely dress and the Lady that cherished it. I have found letters of the owner of my house, I have her chairs, and lots of finds in my attic. I have old hats, found only one shoe so far. lol Which all were not wanted by the family, so they all came with the house. We still have yet to clean out the whole attic of years of the original owner. I have one picture that had the maids in my kitchen. Now, I wish they were still here. lol Thanks for sharing such a lovely story of a Lady's Wedding Dress and accessories.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Claudia said...

Oh that is simply stunning! What an incredible find! Happy Pink Saturday!

xo
Claudia

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Glenda/MidSouth said...

I really enjoyed reading this post - thanks for sharing this story with us. The dress is beautiful.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful dress! Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Carolyn said...

Hi Susan,
A beautiful dress and lovely post as always!

Have a good weekend,
Carolyn

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a clever Pink Saturday post! I love the dress, shoes and the history.

Yes, Susan, we do the same kind of work! Small world!! How long have you been a social worker? I am going on my 24th year. I'm aging myself, HA!

Thank you for taking all the time you do to carefully post your lovely home and ingenious displays.

I also wanted to thank you for the tutorial you did a while back on how to set up a blog. I've been giving blogging some thought.

Mary
from Virginia

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Mary,
Wow, 24 years...that's a bunch! I've only been working as a SW for 8 years, now. E-mail me at betweennapsontheporch@gmail.com when you have a chance.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Kathy Walker said...

Oh wow...gorgeous! What an adventure..what a great find. It is so much fun...it is in the quest and then the success. Love the story.

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger LADY JANE said...

Love it...I have my Moms wedding dress and my Godmothers dress shoes hat and purse from my parents wedding...I love family treasures! And I love your share today! Happy pink Saturday!

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 , Blogger Kathy said...

Oh my goodness, Susan, what a fabulous dress and wonderful history. Marvelous post!

Happy Pink Saturday...have a beautiful weekend...Kathy

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Anonymous Kate @ Sensational Color said...

Great antique dress and in the perfect color for today. Happy Pink Saturday.

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Blogger ♥Mimi♥ said...

I'm a day late and a dollar short☺ Was able to leave some messages for Pink Saturday yesterday and finishing up today. Over the holidays I was MIA from PS and really missed it but knew that I wouldn't be able to visit many blogs. I'm back today and must say that it feels so good to visit familiar places - like coming home again.

Today you made my little, pinkie ♥ smile. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely blog. Hoping this next week is filled with sunshine and the laughter of friends and family☺

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Blogger Paula Grace Designs said...

Hi Susan,
How wonderful to ask about your readers. I may have to do that too! I love the fact that you work with elder and disabled abuse cases. I was previously a social worker in the mental health field before changing careers to interior design. I think I am attracted to your site because it is always heart felt and you share the warmth by inviting others to participate ~ you're very inclusive ~ a lovely trait! Thanks for your wonderful blog. I am hoping to participate again in Met Monday! I love that party!
Paula Grace

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Blogger Rosemary said...

What an enjoyable read. Love Pink!

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Blogger Stella said...

What a beautiful dress. Can't you just picture the young lad who felt so beutiful when she wore it. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Blogger Dreamgoddess said...

What a wonderful find! Thank you for sharing this lovely dress with us.

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Anonymous Amisha said...

Wow! This is like time travel! What a treasure.

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Blogger susan said...

Susan-I have such a weakness for anything old, and, like you, I always have a story in my mind. If only these vintage pieces could talk! I bet the shoes are very small. Feet seem to be getting bigger. My theory is that it is something in Happy Meals :) Loved this post!

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Blogger Andi's English Attic said...

Wow! The dress is fabulous and the written piece just brings it to life. How on earth would you clean such a thing? Or would you dare?
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I was very excited to see you there. xx

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Blogger Rattlebridge Farm said...

This post beautifully captured the essence of who we are and why we blog. I know my world is better because of friends like you.
((Big Hug))

PS The pink dress is gorgeous!

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,
The pink dress is so pretty and I bet the waist is so tiny...kinda like Scarlett's. I could just see one of those young ladies from Gone With the Wind wearing this elegant outfit with matching shoes. I really enjoyed reading the history regarding the dress.

I am a 63 year old retired RN. I have 3 grown children and only one grandchild. I also live in Georgia and enjoy any kind of decorating for the home. I do not have a blog, but I really enjoy yours and so many others. I am amazed at the talent that you ladies have and share with others. Susan, you have been an inspiration to me and I feel so very lucky to have found your blog. I also want to mention how much I adore your writing style coupled with all of your gorgeous pictures on your blog. I appreciate all the hours you devote to making your readers happy.

P.S. Thanks to you... I purchased a beautiful entertainment center at the Classy Flea. I love that place!!!

Hugs,
Katherine S.

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can imagine what it would feel like to wear that dress and those shoes (back when they were new). Wouldn't it be fun?!

Happy Pinks~

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home