This Page

has been moved to new address

Tablescaping in Blue and White: Welcome to the 7th Tablescape Tuesday!
Between Naps on the Porch: Tablescaping in Blue and White: Welcome to the 7th Tablescape Tuesday!

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Oct 7, 2008

Tablescaping in Blue and White: Welcome to the 7th Tablescape Tuesday!

I've always loved, loved, loved blue and white together. I put this tablescape together out on the porch several months back, then posted it on Rate My Space. I thought I'd share it here on this Tablescape Tuesday. :-)

I don't know what it is about a crisp, white linen tablecloth and napkins...but I love 'em, especially with a blue and white tablescape.




China is Blue Willow; Chargers are from Neiman Marcus, online. Crystal is Waterford, Agraglin.


A couple of years ago, I begin to collect salt cellars to use in my table settings. It just seems like such a simple, yet wonderful way to spoil your dinner guest. It eliminates having to pass around a salt shaker and your guest will be able to salt their food to their individual taste. Here I'm using zipper cut, crystal salt cellars paired with salt spoons in the same pattern as the sterling.


In this close-up, you can see the flakes of a special salt I purchased that melts easily when sprinkled over foods...
This particular brand is highly rated and reasonably priced.

Click on this article to see the names and ratings for many gourmet salts.

This french salt, Fleur de Sel, is another great salt to use, although, I had trouble locating it locally. It is available online from many stores.


Oh, wait a minute...this is a tablescape posting! :-) I'll have to do a posting one day on salt and salt cellars...but for now, back to our tablescape. I liked pairing crystal goblets with the crystal salt cellars in this tablescape.




Cloches are so versatile...so many fun ways to use them in tablescapes and vignettes...


I bought these cute, ceramic blue and white balls a couple of years ago to use as a decorative item in my upstairs family room. (That room is posted here on my blog.) Lynne (decorator 101) taught me that these little decorative ceramic balls are actually called carpet balls. I found out online that they were often used in parlor games back in Victorian Days.




Years ago I purchased a coffee type drink that came in these cobalt blue bottles. I thought the bottles were too pretty to throw away. So, I just kept saving them...having no idea how I might use them one day. I love how they look mixed in with this blue and white table setting.




I love using a sugar scuttle instead of a regular sugar bowl. You can find them for very reasonable prices on eBay. When you have a large party, they are great to put out where you have your coffee available for your guest.




This week's tablescape book is The Art of the Table by Suzanne Von Drachenfels. Nancy Dunnan, coauthor of The Amy Vanderbilt Complete Book of Etiquette, reviewed this book and said, "Suzanne von Drachenfels's charming book, The Art of the Table, combines the history of what we eat with how we eat in a way that will appeal to those who entertain, those who are interested in the history of civilization, and those who simply want to know what the rules are."
Information about items used in the tablescape above: China is Churchill, Blue Willow, Crystal is Waterford, pattern Araglin, Sterling is Towle, King Richard. Chargers came from Neiman Marcus, online about a year ago...Horchow had them, too. I've had the napkin rings for years but apparently they still make them because I saw them in a Macy's about two weeks ago. Found the crystal salt cellars on eBay.


Thanks for stopping by!

The following blogs have beautiful tablescapes awaiting your visit:

The following blogs have stunning tablescapes awaiting your visit:

A Beach Cottage
Above the Clouds
Angelic Accents
Between Naps on the Porch
Blinks ‘N Winks from Brown-eyes
Happy to Design
Jannet’s Country Cottage
Kristen’s Creations
More Than Heirlooms
Ribbonwood Cottage
Salmagundi
Sweet Nothings
The Gypsy's Corner
The Happy Wonderer

Labels: ,

39 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, I think this was the first of your tablescapes that I saw on RMS, and I was so blown away by it. As a fellow lover of blue and white, it just felt so "right" to me and was immediately saved to my favs! Although I often use salt cellars too, I have never used anything but regular old salt in mine. Can't wait to experiment with some of the different kinds you have suggested. Thanks for all of the inspiration and the education in salts. Laurie (bargainhunr)

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Myrna said...

I bet you got 5 starts on Rate My Space on this tablescape! It is gorgeous! I love all the little details you put into it! Great ideas!
Thanks for hosting this, Susan! A fun way to look forward to Tuesdays! ;-)
Blessings!
Myrna

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Four Paws and Co said...

Hi Susan, I LOVE your tablescapes and this is one of my favorites. You're a very talented lady! :0} Diane

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Glenda said...

No more or less than I would expect from the Master of Tablescapes. Great presentation. You must have virtually unlimited space to store all the paraphernalia that your tablescapes entail.
I'm beginning to believe however, it's not quantity, but how you put everything together. I am starting to understand the concept of mix and match. Take what you have and make it work. Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susan

wow this one is amazing you really do have a wonderful talent for this, i particularly like the centrepiece and the tie-in of the blue

love the Churchill china and the crystal is to die for

I'm learning so much here, mentally noting it and starting to look out for things to add to my small collection

I just posted a tablescape tuesday entry, I really enjoyed doing this one, a bit out there for me! I hope I'm not too late for a link?

thanks so much for hosting, oh and for this great post

Sarah
A Beach Cottage

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Bo said...

Hi Susan...I don't think I ever saw this beauty on RMS so I'm so happy to get the chance to see it now. Wow, it is so detailed and I love the way you inform us with your explanations...maybe I'm not too old to learn something yet!
;-) Bo

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Suzann said...

Such a beautiful tablescape Susan! I adore cobalt blue and white together. You always manage to do just the right amount without overdoing.

I've learned so much here today. I love that sugar scuttle and the salt cellar is rather cute too. Carpet balls? I just thought they were neat little knick-knacks.

I love how I can come to a blog, see amazing photos, be inspired, and learn something new. Thank you so much for today's amazing post!

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Susan,
You have created another beautiful tablescape! It is really lovely and is perfect for your porch!Thanks for sharing,

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Susan I so remember this from RMS...I think this was the time I fell in love with you and your home..of course you know girl I love blue and white..those salt cellars are too cute..but like Laurie I did't know you used differ salt for them,,now I'll be looking for salt...does it ever stop?? this is truly beautiful Susan but the only thing I see missing here is ME!! what time is dinner girl?? Love your Tuesday tablescapes..again another great post..I so loved the post you did on Carol Yesterday..Hugs and smiles...Gloria

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your tablescape is just lovely. You made me smile with your sugar scuttle. I use a pretty bowl and sugar tongs, and my guests always love it. It is so fun to make them feel special.

Your family and guests must adore you.

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger bj said...

JUST BEAUTIFUL...
Please add my name to the list, Susan...I guess we missed each other somewhere as I THOUGHT I had told you on a posting that I would join. Maybe not, tho...?? I will also want to be added NEXT Tuesday as we will be gone but I have a pre-scheduled posting ready.
Many thanks....

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger bj said...

Yep...there's my request to be on your list on your Welcome Back, Sheila posting...I was afraid I was going crazy....
have a great day...
bj

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You attention to detail is always just perfection, Susan! And, you know what? I always learn something from each of your posts? Were you a teacher in anothr life?
Carol

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger bj said...

Well, SHOOT, Sweetheart...I see SWEET NOTHINGS on your list now..guess it's too early in the mornin' and I was lookin for "bj"...pls. forgive this OLD lady....and many thanks...
bj

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger santamaker said...

Blue Willow...oh, you know that is one of my favorite all time patterns. Amazing what you can do with it...all of the details that you put into your tablesettings are amazing....just gorgeous, Susan

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Naz said...

You have the most gorgeous tablescapes I've ever seen!

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Susan, how many place settings do you own and where do you keep them all? I wish I could have plates for every season,theme but just don't have the room to store them.

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger bj said...

Oh, such a lovely table....as you might know, the blue and white is a favorite of mine, too.
I think you were so smart to save the little blue bottles..they look fabulous on your stunning table.
Any time I get a BLUE bottle, I will start saving, too.
Thanks for having this lovely Tablescape Tuesday...it is so much fun...
love, bj

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger cindy said...

Beautiful!!! It makes me want to come over and sit on your porch just to gaze at the table setting. I promise I won't touch anything...(except for maybe that sugar scuttle..that is so cool!)...I like it when you recommend books too!, I think I might have to get that one. Take care, ~Cindy~

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should hve been a teacher dear.You sure teach us all so many things.And you make everything so interesting.Great job as usual....Ann

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I have collected clear salts for years. I just bought a new one yesterday that you would squeal over. I have never seen one like it. Hope to post it soon!

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Susan, your tablescape is just stunning...and so positively Southern. Love it! What great details you put together, I'm sure your guests must love dining at your table. Love the salt cellars, those are so cute.

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Wow! So much to learn in setting a fabulous table. I love your blue and white with all the accessories and how they are put together. So pleasing to the eye. I have always been drawn to white and blue. I love the salt cellars. I have some sterling salt spoons we bought in England in the 70's. I need to get some cellars to go with them!!
Have a great Tuesday Susan and thanks for sharing your creative talent with us :0)

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger squawmama said...

What an eleagant setting... It looks so southern too... I agree about the individual salt and I have used the personal salt shakers.. I only have a couple of the salt cellars (antiques) but will be looking for more along with the special salt. I had never heard of that before. Thanks for the wonderful posts..

Donna

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Susan!

Girl, you never seize to amaze me!!! I do declare that you are "Queen of the Tablescapes"!!! This blue and white table with all of those gorgeous magnolias is FABULOUS!!! I think one of my favorite things about this tablescape is the little cloche that you used for the centerpiece...what a grand idea!!! You and all of your beautiful tablescapes are such an inspiration to me...thank you, my friend!

Warmest wishes...Chari (Happytodesign)

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I so agree - the blue and white is just gorgeous - pristine, captivating and fabulous!

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Neabear said...

I am like Darlene, wondering how many place settings you have and how to store. I love the blue and white theme is this place setting and the things I learn from you, like the salt cellars and the sugar scuttle. I had no idea. Never too late to learn though.

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Christie said...

Oh, Your tablescape is beautiful! I love the blue and white too! Hope you have a great day!
xoxo,
Queenie

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Glenda said...

I have recently found some different salts in several of the grocery stores I frequent. One I am anxious to try is the one Michael Chiarello uses on the Food Network, called grey salt. I purchased it a week or so ago and haven't opened it yet.
It is one of several varieties McCormick is offering in the spice section of the grocery store. Another I bought to try, offered by McCormick, is called Sicilian sea salt. They come packaged in little tins with semitransparent lids with a weight of 3+ ounces.
I have another one I use from time to time that is labeled all natural Mediterranean salt. It is in a bottle that is a grinder also. Functions the way the McCormick grinders do. I like McCormick's pepper that you grind fresh. DH likes their pizza seasoning that you grind yourself.
McCormick also has a steak seasoning in a grinder. Latest find was one for cinnamon sugar, DH used that one this past weekend on his and GD buttered toast. He said it was very good. That is also made by McCormick, and when you grind it, it smells so good. All of the above were found in grocery stores where I shop, not gourmet stores. I don't even know if there are any gourmet stores in my area.
I just love it when gourmet type items filter down and become available in the average grocery store.

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Susan, I tell you what girlfriend...you have the most beautiful table settings, and tablescapes. What you do with everyday items...you just make it look spectacular!!! I wish you would come over and visit me and take my stuff...and make it look like that! wow. I always enjoy your posts, you really inspire me. Have a blessed day, and thank you this has been so fun and wonderful meeting you and the other wonderful ladies!
Debbie

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Hi Susan! Well, you just can't beat blue & white! My entire dining room is done in Italian Blue Room Spode. I've sold lots of Churchill Blue Willow & love it, too! Your use of the flaky salt crystals & the tassels are new to me. I have the same blue/white carpet balls as you!

Have a great day!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Mary said...

Simply beautiful! Blue and white is such a classic, and this is just perfect. :)
xoxo,
Mary

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Susan you table is gorgeous as always!!! absolutely love the blue and I love all the little details on your table. This is so much fun, Thank you so much for letting me being a part of this! Like you I have little salt & pepper shakers for each guest & white napkins is my favorite. Hope to join in again next week ; )
Wish you a wonderful day, Jannet

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Tomarie said...

Susan,
This is so funny because I bought the same coffee drinks years ago because of the beautiful cobalt blue bottles!! I have had them stored away in a box but I think you just might have motivated me to get them out! I love learning all you know about putting these beautiful tablescapes together!

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my sweet Susan! I had to steal away for a few minutes and check out your tablescape! Oh, how happy I am! You are so good at this. I think maybe you should write a tablescape book. You can call it 'Tablescaping by Moonlight and with Magnolias'! I have Blue Willow dishes and just adore them. I clicked on your family room link and saw where you love your faux flowers just like me!! You're so sweet.

Well, hopefully I'll be able to Tablescape with you next week. Trying to get my Mother situated in our house with all her 85 years of 'stuff'! It ain't easy!! lol

You are a sweetie,
Shelia;)

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Kathy said...

I just love this tablescape Susan, you so inspire me, I had a practice run today, won't join your "TT" just yet as we are off travelling, but will keep coming back here to look at your wonderful creations, Kathy.

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just as beautiful this time as it was the first..I love that you held onto the great blue bottles..what a treasure they turned out to be..the salt cellars are great on the table..might have to add those to the list of things to get...lol You know the blue and white is a favorite of mine.. and that sugar scuttle is close to my heart...always will be...
hugs ~lynne~

 
At Tuesday, October 07, 2008 , Blogger Carrie said...

I love this blue and white setting....it's great how you have combined the various details so beautifully.
I hope to do another tablescape next week. I just got out my fall decor items this evening.

 
At Tuesday, October 14, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my I don't even know how to explain how I feel about your lovely tablescapes...they are just beautiful! Pretty as a picture and your pictures are certainly so pretty. Everything looks beautiful. I have seen some cloches in other blogs as well and I will have to see if I can me one too. Your blues and whites are so lovely.

How lovely it would be to sit at one of your tables....
Thank you for sharing.
Judi

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home