This Page

has been moved to new address

Sisters
Between Naps on the Porch: Sisters

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Sep 20, 2008

Sisters

Today, my Pink Saturday post is about a special gift I received for my birthday this year. My sister, Glenda, and I have always been very close and she surprised me with this beautiful angel from the Jim Shore Collection.

"One's Sister is a part of one's essential self, an eternal presence of one's heart and soul and memory."
Susan Cabill

Isn't she beautiful? I love her little halo and all the detailed carving!

"Husbands come and go; children come and eventually they go. Friends grow up and move away. But the one thing that's never lost is your sister."
Gail Sheeny from "Sisters"

I placed her in my study where I spend much of my time. She is a wonderful reminder of the special relationship that often exist between sisters...especially the one I have with my sister.
"We are more than just acquaintances... it's as if we are cut from the same fabric. Even though we appear to be sewn in a different pattern, we have a common thread that won't be broken-by people or years or distance." Author Unknown

"Sisters touch your heart in ways no other could. Sisters share... their hopes, their fears, their love, everything they have. Real friendship springs from their special bonds."Carrie Bagwell

I think Glenda and I may possibly hold the Guinness World Record for the longest telephone conversations! :-) We once talked for more than 4 hours!!!
"Sisters -- they share the agony and the exhilaration. As youngsters they may share popsicles, chewing gum, hair dryers and bedrooms. When they grow up, they share confidences, careers and children, and some even chat for hours every day."Roxanne Brown





"Both within the family and without, our sisters hold up our mirrors: our images of who we are and of who we can dare to become."
Elizabeth Fishel

Thank you, Glenda, for being the best big sister in the whole world! Love you!!!




"Chance made us Sisters, hearts made us friends."Author, Unknown"

Visit Beverly, at http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/ to see a complete list of all the participants in today's Pink Saturday.


31 Comments:

At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

How very percious this is Susan and how very special to have a sister like Glenda...I know you so admire her...I would have loved to had a sister but mama gave me all brothers and I will tell you my oldest Brother Dennis and I were close until he died in 2001..he was my best man friend in the world..Now i have my Brother who is the same age as you and I nick named him Toots when he was a baby and to this day I still call him Toots...but his wife who was my oldest daughter best friend..is like a daughter and a sister to me and I am so very bless to have her..even tho she young enough to be my daughter..and that last saying you have she gave that to me years ago on a plaque thats says sisters by chance... friends by choice!! how sweet was that girl?? You give your Glenda a big hug from Calif Susan from me!!! hugs and smiles dear friend Gloria

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Glenda said...

I am sure your sister feels just as you do. And BTW, you can't have the best sister in the whole world, because I do.
Indeed, sisters share a bond like no others.

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Tootsie said...

I have a sister in law that no one will answer the phone for unless they have at least 3 hours to spare! I once talked to her about absolutely nothing in particular for almost 6 hours...I burned out two cordless phones and fell asleep! she is a sweetie....I love the sister doll

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Your piece is precious. I love Jim Shore figurines. I don't have any, but first saw them in Charleston.

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger RetiredAtLast said...

What a wonderful tribute to Sisters. I gave an angel to an angel. Love you.

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger bj said...

A beautiful piece of Jim Shore art. He is one of my favorites. I have only one piece, FATHER CHRISTMAS, and I love it so much, it stays in my living room all year long.
I don't have a sister but I sure hope he makes one that says DAUGHTER..
Thanks for sharing.

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Deborah aka Miss Bee said...

What a perfect pink!...especially for two sisters as you both! I don't think I've seen this one before - I love Jim Shore pieces.

Happy Pink Saturday!
Deborah

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Bo said...

A lovely and touching post from you today, Susan. I always wished I had a sister... ;-) Bo

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet post and tribute to your sister and the wonderful relationship you have. happy pink Saturday to you...

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Neabear said...

I love Jim Shore pieces. One of these days I will ignore my hubby's look that says, "you don't need one of those and get one anyway". I sometime envy those with sisters. I don't have anyway. I have lots of sister-in-laws though. Six at last count. Well, I guess that is not a lot, but maybe more than some people have. Happy Pink Saturday!

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Miss Rhea said...

What a lovely tribute to your sister. I wish all were Blessed to have one. :) I sure love mine !! :) Happy Pink Saturday !!

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Susan.

How wonderful to have a sister. I am an only child, but I know what a treasure a sister must be.

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger SmilingSally said...

I (heart) Jim Shore! How lucky you are to have such a special sister! Happy Pink Saturday! Come visit.

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Pink Slippers said...

Very pretty and sweet. Happy PINK Saturday. Wendy

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I hit enter before typing in my whole name and url. I just wanted to make sure you knew I stopped by to visit.

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, sisters. Love the line about being cut from the same fabric but sewn in different patterns!! I am the youngest of three girls, no boys, and having being the one most spoiled rotten, I now have the privilege of being the 'wise'(cracker) one. LOL! My poor Mom. ;) We all have such different personalities, but what is better than a reunion when we all live in different parts of the country? Love them, and think I need to order two of those angels for my big sisters. Hugs Susan, Jan

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan,I do hope Glenda reads this.She will adore this.You two are so very much alike.Both such good,honest,loving and kind people.You certainly were sewn with a common thread.[love]...Ann

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just went back and read what Glenda wrote.Awwwwwwwwwwww

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Virginia said...

Sisters are wonderful,what a touching post.
Blessings, Virginia

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Gabriela said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

Lovely PINK post!

~ Gabriela ~

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Four Paws and Co said...

Oh Susan, this is so sweet! Love the pictures & the beautiful figurine too! Diane

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger One Knit One Purl said...

Happy Pink Saturday! My sister Karen from karenharveycox.blogspot.com introduced me to Pink Saturday and today is my first day participating. She is my best friend too and we have always walked a similarly path ... always!

Your pink post today is pretty and your blog is gorgeous! I love your home and the chicken lamp!

Take care,
Susan

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger suesueb said...

i think your angel is beautiful and your sister must be also! have a happy pink week!!

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Protector of Vintage said...

The figurine is lovely and your blog is so beautiful. I will be back to check it out more thoroughly. Take care~

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a pretty angel and what a beautiful posting. Love the strip of pix of you and your sister. I also love Jim Shore, and this one is a beauty. Laurie (bargainhunr)

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 , Blogger Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Sisters are a very special gift from god. I have 3 sisters. We are all very close. I loved the darling pictures of the two of you. The Jim Shore piece is fabulous!!! Hugs, Terrie

 
At Sunday, September 21, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so fortunate to have the love and support of one so dear..
hugs ~lynne~

 
At Sunday, September 21, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely post - your angel is beautiful. I have looked at these in the gift shops and they are very lovely. Have a wonderful day.

 
At Monday, September 22, 2008 , Blogger Grandma Faith said...

Your post is so sweet and the "sister" is beautiful. I have always wished I had a sister. Take care.

 
At Monday, September 22, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful angel and coming from a loving sister makes it priceless. I can feel your closeness and that relationship is truly precious.

 
At Monday, September 22, 2008 , Blogger Susan Hickam said...

I enjoyed your post very much-I also looked at the one about your friend Gloria-It brought back memories of going up in a plane with an instructor myself. I never learned to fly but perhaps one day in the future. Love your Jim Shore angel-I love his nativites most of all. Happy Belated Pink Saturday to you.

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home