This Page

has been moved to new address

Fun Random Things Worth Sharing
Between Naps on the Porch: Fun Random Things Worth Sharing

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Apr 18, 2012

Fun Random Things Worth Sharing

Several folks commented how great the garden stool I purchased recently looked in the guest room.  Thanks!  I do love it here, but I was mainly trying to find one for the screened in porch.



So, I'm thinking a second seat might be in order.  I tripped over these online at Ballard Designs and they are super expensive...$269 each!  Crazy pricing.



I think the vine design/color would look great here on the porch, but not at that price.  I'll watch to see if one appears in their outlet here in Atlanta.  Or, I just may buy a second white one sometime when I find it for the right price.  I doubt the green viney ones will go on sale low enough to tempt me.



In the meantime, I'm discovering these garden stools are making phantom, now-you-see-it, now-you-don't-appearances in all the great discount stores.   It seems to be a matter of luck if you happen to walk into the right store on the right day, or else you need a decorating angel watching over you like I apparently had on THIS day.

In the comments on yesterday's post, Lori said she spotted one a while back in Ross.  Penny found them in Big Lots one summer for just $30 each!  Wowza...that made my ears stand up!


So, today I decided to run over to Old Time Pottery to see if they ever carry garden stools.  I mean with a name like Old Time Pottery, I thought there just might be a chance.  While I was cruising around the store checking out the dishes and looking for a new lamp for the porch, I came across this green vase/umbrella stand.  Ummm, now where have I seen that design?



I know!  It really made me think of this "Bubble" garden stool I had seen online at West Elm for $129.   If OTP carries this vase, maybe they will also carry the garden seat some time.  Right?



I located an employee while shopping  and he confirmed they do get in garden seats, but they never know when they will come in.  He also said when they get them in, they sell out immediately.  Gotta be fast to catch a phantom garden seat.

I snagged a few pics with my cell while shopping in Old Time Pottery.  I can't go spring shopping without you!  Check out these really cute trunks.  They would make a great coffee table for a beach or lake house.



Loved these beverage dispensers for summer parties.



Okay, as the title of this post implies, we're jumping in a different direction now.  I wanted to share these two lamps I saw while antiquing recently.  The prices were waaaay up there, but they would be pretty easy to make.    If you have any chipped cups/saucers/teapots/sugar bowls, or maybe some orphaned pieces you found for a song while thrifting, here's a fun way to use them.



This lamp was over $300!  You can make this!



Moving right along, I was stunned recently to discover we have a Home Decorators Collection store right here in Metro Atlanta.  Back when I was putting together my home office HERE, I drooled over the Martha Stewart line of craft furniture online at the HDC site.  I snapped these pics of the two pieces I had eyed for the office last year.  It also comes in a pretty white color.  Never thought I'd get to actually see them in person.  This table is a perfect base for...



...this wrapping paper organizer.  The nice person who helped me while I was shopping told me one customer bought this set to put in her laundry room so she could fold clothes on the top of it when she wasn't using it to wrap gifts or for crafting.  Cool, huh?  You would need a good size laundry room but I did love that idea.  Again, this furniture also comes in a pretty white color, not just the green you see here.



Several weeks ago I was reading Marian's blog post about decorating for Spring.  She posted this lovely vignette she had put together and I fell hard for the cute domed silver stands.  I looked everywhere online and after a good bit of Googling I found them.  Yikes!  They were $270 for the set, in all the online stores.  I loved them, but not that much. lol



I just about fell over when I spied the set in Home Decorators Collection for $199 AND they were having a sale...$50 off.  I paid $150 in the end for the set...still higher than I would like but way better than $270.



They are pretty big...great for displaying anything, including food since they are food safe.  You can still find them on the HDC site, HERE.  I alerted the BNOTP Facebook readers to them the day I found them, in case they wanted to order them before the sale ended that day.  I'm sure they will go back on sale again.



By the way, for those who have asked over the years about where to find Jean Claude, our French waiter who assisted us when we dined here for breakfast on a Tablescape Thursday...



HDC has his Chef brother in stock HERE.



I bought Jean Claude years ago at Home Depot Expo.  Did you know that Home Depot owns Home Decorators Collection?  I didn't know that until I visited the store.  They told me that Home Depot is going to be opening more brick and mortar Home Decorators stores.  The one I visited just opened last year.



Okay, time to wind this post up.  Har, har.   This wall of clocks in HDC caught my eye.



I kind of wondered how it would look if I did a display of various clocks on this wall behind my sitting area in my office.  Nahhh, I think I like it, as is.



See you tomorrow morning for Tablescape Thursday!

35 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the garden stools. I have seen them several times at Ross and I bought one from Big Lots last year and repainted it for my porch. It looks amazing. Hugs, Marty

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Gina Johnson said...

Ah I love those green stools/tables! I actually have one very similar, it's blue and the design is less detailed. I inherited mine from a former roommate (who wanted to throw it out!!) and it seems to be ceramic. Do you recall what sort of material those were made of?

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Michael, do you mean the vine covered ones from Ballard or the bubble one? I haven't actually seen the vine one in person, just saw it online. It's ceramic I think. Same for the green bubble vase/umbrella stand I saw recently. I think the bubble seat at West Elm is ceramic as well. Is yours like the vine covered one? I saw a vine covered one on sale at Neiman Marcus today...greatly reduced. That was nice of your former roomy to leave that one behind!

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Marty, that's awesome! Hope BL gets them in again this year. Did you find it for $30 like Penny?

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Susan,

If the HG store has one more of those white garden stools you could always paint the
basketweave portion green to match your swing cushion, too.

Wonderful post. I absolutely LOVE shipping with you! Thank you!!

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Great post as always my dear friend..I love those stools but no room left at this Inn for another thing ha ha!! Love ya girl Gloria

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Gloria, they are pretty teeny, bet you can fit one in. :) Several folks have told me about using them in the shower or bath to hold towels, etc... Or, there's always the garden. Now that is a novel idea for a garden seat. :)

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Michele, that's not a bad idea! Thanks!

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger greta said...

Love the garden stool!! I work at a consignment shop just for home interiors. I only work part time but boy do I get great deals. The other day we got so busy I never got a chance to see what came in the day before. Well, a customer walked up with a black and white beautiful garden stool. Was I upset! Then I saw the price and then I was sick! Ready......$34.95!!!! I could just cry. But, someday we will get another one in and I will knock everyone over to grab it! Thanks for a great blog. I love all your ideas.

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Oh Greata, that would have killed me! What a great price, too. Hard to believe someone parted with it to consign it. Hope you get another one in real soon!

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Sonny G said...

They have the seats in different colors and designs are "Ollie's" they came in yesterday so, lots of them.

good luck

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Hi Susan,
I have seen the garden stools MANY TIMES at HOMEGOODS! The go quickly so you have to GRAB THEM when you see them!
What a fantastic wall of clocks! LOVE LOVE LOVE clocks although DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME gets quite busy to add or subtract that hour...
Have a great week,
Hugs,
Donna

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Donna, if you have an Ollie's near you, check 'em out. We don't have any near us here but apparently they have them for great prices. lol about the clocks. Yep, something tells me they would never get wound. Beside, don't think I could handle all that ticking.

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Heather said...

I guess we've been pretty to have a Home Decorators Collection in suburban Kansas City for several years...at one time we had two! It's good to note that if you order a large piece of furniture from HDC, you can ship it to a local store for free and it usually arrives in just a few days. Since they are known as a catalog company, the container will often fit into a decent-sized vehicle easily.

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Susan, I have seen many garden stools recently at Home Goods. Horchow also carries them, but I don't know about the prices. Sometimes they have terrific sales! Your stool is very versatile. I especially like it in the guest room. Linda

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Envoy-ette said...

Everything is so beautiful! I never knew those things were stools! I always wondered about that...LOL.

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

That's good info to know, Heather! Be a lot cheaper than paying for shipping, I'm sure.

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Linda! I'll keep my eye out for a bargain this summer.

 
At Wednesday, April 18, 2012 , Blogger sweet violets said...

Love the stool you snagged, and the silver/glass domes!!! I've shopped HDC for years, they are my fav catalog company, did not know they had stores too!!! And did not know they are part of Home Depot....we never get any cool stores up North here....but I did read about a Home Goods store opening in a near by suburb....will check it out.....

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger Maria Elena said...

Susan, I was at Ross yesterday and they had several different garden stools. They had them in two different designs, solid color and multicolor design. The ones with a solid color ( I saw them in white and blue) were $49.99 each and the multicolor ones were $59.99. I hope you find the ones you want! The white one looks gorgeous in your guest room!

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger http://jackieinsurrey.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

Hi Susan, just catching up with posts. Here in the UK we would say they are Chinese Porcelain garden stools, they are available on Ebay. I have seen them in TK Maxx too. Jackie in Surrey, UK.

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger Lynn said...

Wow, Susan, That was a great shopping trip. Look for domes in replacement parts for anniversary clocks. The price will make you smile. I also use clear square inverted vases to protect tchotchkes. Your single clock is perfect. What has always attracted me to your site is the simplicity of your décor. It’s always just right.

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous finds!!!

Yesterday in the mail I received, Gone With a Handsomer Man and Flea Market Finds! I am really excited to read them both!

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger Rettabug said...

Susan, I saw those garden seats at Big Lots for $30 two years ago & have been kicking myself ever since for not buying one!!! Grrrr! I stood there & debated & walked away. Phooey! I sure hope OTP or BL gets them in again.

I have a silver pedestal candy dish & a clear dome, similar to the ones you've shown. I'm hoping they will fit together...off right now to check.

See you later today for TT!
Hugs,
Rett

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger Merlin said...

YOU are SO MUCH FUN to SHOP with!!! What a "hit" on the silver/glass domes...I think they are exceptional! BTW I got my garden stools at COSTCO and they are absolutely my favorites for function and fun! franki

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger PAT said...

I discovered we have a Home Decorators Collection store in STL. I am going to try to get there, when J has his dr appt in a couple of weeks. Not far from his dr, the store is in the old location of the Home Depot Expo store, I believe. I know it is on the same road. Can't wait to see what I can see.

I love the stacked lamp and those domes are fabulous!

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger Maureen said...

Susan, great shopping venues for Garden Stools! I will continue to look for that bargain basement price! I have seen some in Greenwich and Westport for over $250. They may be a bit bigger but the price is too big for me. I love the trill of the hunt and will continue my search. Love all your shopping trips!

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I do so love that blue and white lamp!!!....not the price tag though!

So many great things you featured!

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger martha said...

love all your pictures...great decorating ideas...wish we had HDC here

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger April D said...

So many pretties! I love that green vine garden stool; the design of it would tempt me, but that price!
Thanks for showing all your inspiring ideas!
~april

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger Sarah said...

Susan, love these garden stools. I wish I had purchased one I saw years ago in a toile pattern. Put off ordering it and then when I did it was sold out. Gotta get things when we see them. You are inspiring me to start looking at these again. ;-)

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

I remember the HD Expo from when we lived in this area years ago, was disappointed when we moved back and it was no longer there. I didn't know there was a HDC store in the area, will have to go check it out!!!

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2012 , Blogger Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

We don't have an Ollie's either...BUT I have LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of clocks and "YES" they are all running! Believe it or not, you get used to the ticking and don't even notice the chimes...

 
At Friday, April 20, 2012 , Blogger Polly said...

HI! I found a green garden stool at the local Goodwill for $9.99. Has a small chip but for the price I couldn't pass it up! It had a Target sticker on it so I am guessing that's where it originally came from. I also found a pouf (not sure of the spelling) at Goodwill very reasonably priced. Anymore, you just have to buy it when you see it cause it's gone when you go back:)

 
At Sunday, April 22, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I bought 2 Garden Stools from Pottery Barn several years ago. One was full price $120-$130 and the other was on sale for about $90. I have them on my deck for the Spring/Summer months and inside for Fall/Winter. They still look great today although I'm thinking painting them Red in a couple of years. I would post a picture but I'm no sure how to do it here without just emailing them. I am so not web savvy.

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home