This Page

has been moved to new address

Colorful Heart-Shaped Sugar Cubes for Parties: A Tutorial
Between Naps on the Porch: Colorful Heart-Shaped Sugar Cubes for Parties: A Tutorial

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Mar 28, 2012

Colorful Heart-Shaped Sugar Cubes for Parties: A Tutorial

Recently while reading a magazine (I think it was Country Living) I came across the cutest heart-shaped sugar cubes.  The magazine shared where they could be ordered but I decided to try making my own.  I thought they would be fun for parties, especially tea parties or to offer guests with coffee after dinner.



Instead of white cubes as shown in the article, I decided to color mine.  Since it's so close to Easter, I settled on pink and lavender.



You are not going to believe how easy it is to make your own little sugar cubes.  You'll need 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of water and any shade of food coloring you wish to use.  Or, you can skip the food coloring and just let them be white.

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


I had just added the water and a touch of violet food coloring in the photo below.  These Wilton food dyes are super concentrated so the tiniest bit will do.

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


Just stir up the sugar, water and food coloring with a spoon.  Scrape the bottom and corners of your bowl/cup to get all the sugar.  I added a touch more food coloring during the process.  I always start with less than I think I'll need and add a teensy bit as I go along.  That way I don't add too much at the start and end up with a darker color than I really want.

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


Don't add any more water than just the 1/2 teaspoon or you'll end up disolving your sugar.  The sugar should feel and look a bit like wet sand.

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


Press your damp sugar into little silicon ice cube molds.  Be sure to press really firmly so your sugar will hold tight together.  I always buy these molds at Dollar Tree or Michaels.  They usually have them in fun shapes depending on the season and time of year.  1/4 cup of sugar makes about 8 sugar hearts.  If you wish to make more, just double or triple the recipe.

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


Once you've pressed the sugar firmly down into the mold, turn the mold over and the hearts will fall right out onto a plate.  They turn out of the molds very easily.

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


If one breaks when you turn it out, just press it back into the mold and then turn it back out again.

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


I placed the plate directly into the freezer, uncovered. I left it there for 2-3 hours and the cubes hardened up nicely.  Once they hardened up and were no longer so fragile, I tucked them into a baggies and returned them to the refrigerator.  You can store them in either the refrigerator or the freezer.  They hold together well once they harden up in the freezer.

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


Right after you take them out of the freezer, that's a good time to clean up the edges of the heart.  The little sugar crumbs around the edges break off and will leave a nicer looking edge.

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


Of course, I had to set up a little tea tray to see how they looked in action. ;)

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


The silicone ice trays come in every imaginable shape, so make your sugar cubes in whatever shape or motif you wish.

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


These are so easy to make.  Imagine making them in Orange for Halloween, Red for Valentine's Day.  White would be beautiful for a bridal shower.  Pink and lavender is pretty for Easter and Mother's Day.

Colored Heart Sugar Cubes for Tea Party


Love tea parties?  Here are a few you may enjoy:

Fireside Tea
Alice in Wonderland Tea Party
St. Patrick's Day Tea

Here's a tutorial for making "flower ice cubes" with square heart ice cube trays.  Sorry about my early photography in that post.  It's pretty rough.  Yay, for learning and improving. :)


Receive BNOTP updates right in your Inbox:
To receive the latest posts, as well as updates about upcoming blog parties, subscribe To BNOTP posts via an RSS Reader. Or, have BNOTP delivered right to your Inbox. You'll find links to subscribe via RSS and e-mail on the top ride sidebar of the BNOTP home page, OR click HERE to subscribe via RSS Reader and HERE to subscribe via e-mail.   Thanks for reading...you are the reason I love blogging!

Labels: , , ,

53 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger The Stylish House said...

Adorable idea, thanks for sharing!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger imjacobsmom said...

cute!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Haworth said...

This is such a great idea, Susan! And depending on the holiday, you could use different shaped trays. Thank you so much for sharing this I see pretty sugar cubes in my future!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Anita at Cedar Hill said...

oh sweeeet!! I'm posting this on the ranch's FB wall! Thanks for the recipe. I'll definitely be doing this, it's going on my list!!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ordered the ones from Country Living and they still haven't arrived. Thanks for the tutorial. Now I think I'll cancel my order and make my own. You are so smart Susan to figure out how to make them and to share with all of us.

Gretchen
birdnestcottage.net

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Susan dear ~ I always leave your blog armed with
bright ideas and great instructions...You are such
an innovator.These sugar hearts are a tea party must.
Only wish Georgia were around the corner...would we
have fun! Have a blessed day ~
Mary

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Carol said...

I love it!!!! congratulations the blog is beautiful. Caroline.

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger marianth said...

very good idea!I will do it!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Liz said...

That's such a nice idea! Thanks for sharing, I'm sure I will use your idea! Liz

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Deb said...

So pretty. Your dishes are beautiful, too.

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger miss flibbertigibbet said...

How sweet are those??!!
Lorraine

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger My Cozy Corner said...

Hi Susan,
Very cute. I have always wanted to make my own sugar cubes. They so expensive in tea shops. Thanks for the tutorial.
xo
Betty

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hi Susan,
thats a gorgeous idea. I love how they look on your tea tray. Thank you so much for this cute inspiration.
Best greetings, Johanna

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger ~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Such a cute idea for a lunch to tea date! :)

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Miss Kitty said...

What a perfectly wonderful idea for parties, showers, everyday! Thank you so very much for sharing that idea with us!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger megan said...

*Sweet* idea Susan. I will definitely use this. I have quite a few of the trays in different designs which I use for ice cubes, chocolate etc. Never thought about the sugar.
Thank you for all your innovative ideas.

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Karen's Place said...

Thank you so much for this post. I can't wait to make some for my next tea party! So sweet of you (no pun intended) to set up a tea setting to show how cute they are.

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Phyllis @Around the House said...

sooo cute I will make these...they would be cute as stars too...

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Susan, I love this idea. How fun and so pretty. Thanks for the tutorial.

Also, I have a question. Do you have a tutorial or direction of how to put the "Miss A Post This Week" buttons on a blog. I would love to add that feature and have googled everything I can dream of and can't find anything telling me how to do it.

Thanks tons. Hugs, Marty

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Tombstone Livestock said...

Glad to finally something besides empty dishes in a tablescape(tea tray) hope you sat down and enjoyed every drop of it. Love the sugar cubes, I went thru Dollar Store yesterday, too bad I didn't see this first.

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Maria said...

So wonderful! I'll be trying this out very soon! Thank you for the tutorial!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger LindaB said...

Thank you! These are so pretty. I am going to try brown sugar, too, to "imitate" the coffee bar at a restaurant we love.

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Envoy-ette said...

I didn't know you can make sugar cubes at home! This is my new favorite thing! I can't wait to do it for my co-workers as the weather is getting better and we usually have lunch on my back porch!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger charlotte's menagerie said...

You did an amazing job detailing how to make them. I will have to give it a try. I can't wait to do this.

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

So true! Have fun!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Anita! Appreciate that! ♥

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Mary said...

Your tutorials are always so perfect and show just the picture I need to follow step by step. What a wonderful post!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Gretchen, I came so close to ordering them before I decided to try making them. It is soooo easy. Check on Amazon for the heart molds if you don't see them in Michaels or a local store.

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

We would for sure! :)

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks! ♥

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Deb. They are Chuchill Blue Willow. I bought them about 8+ years ago, of all places, the grocery store. Publix had this deal where for every X amount of groceries you purchased, you could buy a dinner plate with cup and saucer for $2.50. I think that's how much it was...been a long time, hard to remember. It was reallllly affordable. They also had all the serving platters, bowls, creamers, sugars, butter dishes, etc.... too. I bought A LOT of groceries over the span of 2-3 months because I was afraid they would discontinue the deal before I finished out 12 place settings. :)

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Betty, they are so fast and easy to make. You'll never need to buy them now. :)

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Johanna!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Marty, I sent you an email with the name of my blog designer. Hope you got it.

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Awesome idea! I love that!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Have fun...it's so easy!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Mary!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 , Blogger Deanna said...

Susan,
The sugar cubes have turned out super! You did well.
May we attend a lot of Tea Parties and have a delightful time.
God bless,
d

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Excellent post, Susan.

And wonderfully pulled together with your gorgeous blue and white tea set!

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger Maria Elena said...

Oh, Susan, you are awesome! Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial! These sugar cubes are so pretty and so easy to make! I can't wait to do this! Thank you Susan!

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger Valerie said...

Love the shaped sugar cubes. How creative you are to be able to make them and kind of you to share.

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger martinealison said...

Votre idée est absolument géniale... vous êtes une fée.
Gros bisous à vous et plein de petits coeurs...

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger we three dogs and me said...

Thanks for another sweet idea. Will be doing that today.

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger Debbie said...

This is wonderful! I can't wait to try it. I also can't wait to try The Dollar Tree for the molds. I would never have thought to look there.

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I like that and saved it so I can make some. Great creative idea.

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Who knew sugar cubes were so easy to make?! I'll have to start having tea parties just so I can get all fancy with my sugar cubes! :)

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger The Tablescaper said...

Great idea and the best part is, they're so easy!

- The Tablescaper

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger Sarah said...

Susan, this is a great idea. I have those little heart trays so will make up some of these soon. Thanks for the tutorial.
I brought some back from France for a friend. They had a little slit cut out so they could hang on the side of a tea cup. Clever idea. Don't know how difficult that would be to do. ;-)
~Sarah

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger Bonnie said...

Darling sugar cubes! I love tutorials. Thanks.

Love the tea set!

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Susan, you always have the best ideas! Can't wait to find some molds.

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger Pat M said...

These are so easy, who knew? LOL! I hope I remember them when I have my next Red Hat tea party!
Hugs, GraceinAZ

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 , Blogger Marilyn Holeman said...

Great idea and looks like something even I could do! Thanks for sharing!

 
At Monday, April 02, 2012 , Blogger Sass - aka - Kathy said...

I'd love to make these for my wedding - so cute!

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home