This Page

has been moved to new address

Southern Living Weddings: 25 Real Southern Weddings
Between Naps on the Porch: Southern Living Weddings: 25 Real Southern Weddings

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Mar 24, 2012

Southern Living Weddings: 25 Real Southern Weddings

Recently I received an issue of Southern Living Weddings in the mail for review from Southern Living. Wow! So much inspiration packed inside 128 beautiful pages.



I just opened the magazine again to get the exact number of pages, and as I sat it back down, I noticed these words printed across the back: "128 pages of our best ideas for saying "I Do!" in classic southern style." So true!  Don't you absolutely love the back cover?



I sort of have weddings on the brain since my son, Chip and his sweetheart, Nancy will be tying the knot in a couple of months.  I found myself tearing up as I read the wonderful stories of the 25 brides/weddings featured in this issue.

Weddings today are as different as the couples planning them.  Some weddings are still quite large, with as many as a dozen or more bridesmaids. and some are smaller celebrations with just family and a few close friends.



In Southern Living Weddings you'll view weddings in many different locales, some exotic and some held in private homes.  The ones held in historic buildings/homes were definitely my favorite.

Southern Weddings with a gorgeous orange tree centerpiece


The wedding receptions featured in this lovely magazine left me speechless.  They were beyond wonderful!  About this magical table setting with lemon trees down the center, the bride said, "I pictured my whole family there celebrating our marriage and it felt so whimsical—like it was out of Alice in Wonderland, rather than real life."



So many beautiful moments captured...you may need a tissue while reading it.  One of my favorite features in this issue is the section titled "Real Advice from the Bride."  It's located at the end of each featured wedding and the advice offered is so helpful for those in "wedding planning" mode.

One bride said, "There was pressure to have a huge guest list and a huge dance floor, but that isn't really us.  You have to trust that your friends are there because they love you and your don't have to knock them out with over-the-top details."   (found on page 73)



Have any weddings coming up in your family or circle of friends?  If you're in need of inspiration, you'll love the current issue of Weddings by Southern Living.  You'll find Southern Living Weddings on Facebook, too.

22 Comments:

At Saturday, March 24, 2012 , Blogger Mary said...

Nothing is as wonderful as a Southern Wedding!

I saw the Southern Living Wedding issue at the store today, but didn't pick in up. Now I am sorry!

Please sent my best wishes to Chip and Nancy. I know you must be looking so forward to their big day. I do hope you share a few pictures. I know you will be the perfect mother of the groom!

 
At Saturday, March 24, 2012 , Blogger Entertaining Women said...

Oooooh, you're going to be the MOG. I'm excited to see your inspirations from your rehearsal dinner. When I was MOG, we were planning the rehearsal dinner in another town, another state....a bit of a difference from using local resources. It was a good practice for my MOB experience. I'm eager to go pick up a copy of the SL Weddings issue. Thanks for the peak. Cherry Kay

 
At Saturday, March 24, 2012 , Blogger Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Weddings are so awesome.

My daughter totally planned hers 2 years ago and it was AMAZING. All her graphic design and amazing craftiness was absolutely magazine worthy..............all I did was have to worry about my dress, go with her to find hers - it was a riot, have a few girlie luncheons and write a few checks, honestly she was the queen with her 3 ring binder and Type A Wedding Planning Mad Skills!

I am SO excited for your son's - it is going to be amazing and the pictures I can barely stand waiting for!!!!!

Hugs!

 
At Saturday, March 24, 2012 , Blogger charlotte's menagerie said...

Looks like you are on the right track with a wedding in 2 months. This magazine had me with the beautiful cake. Fun.

 
At Saturday, March 24, 2012 , Blogger Diane said...

Weddings do bring out the creativity in all of us, along with the tears! I love them. I know your lucky son and future daughter-in-law will have the best wedding, ever!

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 , Blogger RedBettySummer said...

This is a topic very near to my heart right now. We are beyond browsing wedding magazines as my daughter's wedding is about 70 days away now but I still enjoy the great photos and ideas. Thanks for haring your post.

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 , Blogger Delightfully Curious Designs said...

OOOH! FIRST, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SONS WEDDING! AND SECOND, THANK YOU FOR SHARING THE PHOTOS I LOVED THE LEMON TREES DOWN THE CENTER OF THE TABLE!!

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 , Blogger Liz said...

Love this post! I'm from the Netherlands, but have been to the Southern States of America a couple of times and have very good memories of it! This post makes me want to go back as soon as possible! Liz

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 , Blogger martinealison said...

Une très très jolie publication... Des photos superbes.
Gros bisous

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 , Blogger Merlin said...

Just...breath it all in...our daughter's (formal) our son's (casual) EVERYTHING! Honestly, "memories are made of this." Sneak us some peaks! franki

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was the MOG last September. They had their wedding party outside in our backyard by the lake. It was so much fun to plan and scary as heck wondering about the weather. It did rain! But it still turned out to be amazing! Good luck and have fun with yours. xo

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 , Anonymous Debra @justspittit.com said...

Ahh - what a beautiful wedding! I love the colors and that table top topiaries are awesome. Maybe one day soon our sons will get married - but they do not seem to be in any hurry. Guess they are waiting on the perfect "Mrs Right".

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 , Anonymous Patty Lucas said...

I am not from the South and I feel EVERY wedding is wonderful. Our middle son proposed on Valentine's Day and will be getting married in September. I appreciate all the hints I can get because I am trying to plan the rehearsal dinner. Everything will be in our Town in CT so please keep the hints coming. Thank you.

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 , Blogger miss flibbertigibbet said...

I hope you enjoy all the planning! It is such fun! I've been MOB three times and although it was exhausting....it is a wonderful memory!
Lorraine

 
At Monday, March 26, 2012 , Blogger bj said...

I love pretty weddings and my daughter and son both had lovely ones.
I am hoping there isn't a wedding in our near future as it would be the grands and I sure am not ready for THAT. :))

Hope all is going good in your world, Susan. I have been too long in visiting but, seems there's not enuf hours in the day to get it all done. :)

 
At Monday, March 26, 2012 , Blogger Kathy said...

Goodmorning Susan,
I am so excited for you! We did everything for our Daughter's wedding 17 months ago - we had her wedding and reception at an old Plantation House in White Plains, GA - love southern weddings! I can just imagine how inspiring this issue is!
I hope you have a great week,
Kathy

 
At Monday, March 26, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

Susan; Isn't it fun to get excited about weddings all over again when your children start to think and talk about it? My oldest and his girlfriend have been talking about it too and I can't help but to keep coming up with ideas, it's hard not to let my brain take over and start planning for heavens sake! I enjoyed your post :-)

Michelle
New England-Style.com

 
At Tuesday, March 27, 2012 , Blogger Stephanie said...

I have not seen this magazine - looks so beautiful - I love weddings!

 
At Friday, March 30, 2012 , Blogger ndergarabedian said...

Love this post (CLEARLY!)!! I can't wait to get the mag. in the mail :) Chipper said you had sent a copy ~ THANK YOU!!!!!!

Less than 2 months until the big day! Can't wait to see you soon!!!!!!

-Nancy

 
At Sunday, April 01, 2012 , Blogger Miss Kitty said...

Is this a new magazine from Southern Living? I don't remember seeing it before...thanks for the preview of it. My daughter's wedding got featured in a bridal magazine...it was a real thrill for both of us. Yes, when you have a son or daughter in the countdown mode for a wedding, you definately have "wedding on the brain".

 
At Sunday, April 01, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I believe this is an issue they just put out once a year. It's much heavier and thicker than the magazine...a special publication just about weddings. Thanks, Kitty!

 
At Thursday, April 05, 2012 , Blogger Jane said...

I was MOG last spring...and again, 2 years before that. Both sons and their ladies asked for a PARTY with their friends and family. And they both wanted it Cuban style, to embrace our heritage. Although the ideas were similar, the parties were completely different. One embraced the tropical aspect of Cuba, the other was centered around cigars and dominoes (sounds a bit strange, but it was centered around ancestors...and our grandfather was a cigar roller from Cuba.). Most importantly, the brides and grooms, and all the guests, had fun!

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home