This Page

has been moved to new address

Inspiration for Your Valentine's Day Table: Welcome to the 177th Tablescape Thursday!
Between Naps on the Porch: Inspiration for Your Valentine's Day Table: Welcome to the 177th Tablescape Thursday!

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Jan 18, 2012

Inspiration for Your Valentine's Day Table: Welcome to the 177th Tablescape Thursday!

Hi Friends!  How was your day?  I spent the first half of mine in a contacts exam.  Finding contacts that work as they should when you're...Ahem...my age, isn't much fun.  Monovision doesn't work anymore (been there, done that) and astigmatism makes all lens choices a challenge, even the ones that are designed especially for astigmatism.  We're going to try a new multi-focal.

Have you heard of Duette contacts?  They are a hybrid lens, rigid gas permeable in the center of the lens and a soft lens everywhere else.  They won't work for my eyes but it's an interesting concept for sure.  Google it and you can read about them.  I love that they keep trying to come up with new ideas for contacts, "poking the box" as Seth Godin would say.
 
After a morning at the eye doctors, the afternoon was spent at my credit union having a safety deposit box drilled out.  The key was lost long ago and I claim zero responsibility for that.  I'm not naming names, but... ;)  Did you know when you lose your safety deposit box key, they charge you $175 to drill out the lock?  Writing that check was painful.


The box hadn't been opened since 1991 and opening it today caught me completely off guard.  It was like opening a little time capsule.  Tears were shed as I went through the contents.

It contained all matter of stuff...nothing of monetary value, just wills and birth certificates bearing sweet little footprints. (sniff) There were papers with signatures of loved ones who are no longer here. That was the hardest part...I miss them so much. Yup, lots of tears.  Warning:  Don't open safety deposit boxes alone...take a friend.  And Kleenex.  Seriously.

I had intentions of posting a new table setting today, but once I finally got back home, I realized I was missing something I really wanted for the table, something I'm not even sure where to find.  So, I'll hold off posting that table setting for one more week.

This week, with Valentine's Day only 3-4 weeks away, I'm sharing a few pics of past V-Day table settings, along with links in case you would like to view the full table setting and get all the details, including any tutorials or information regarding the items used in the table setting.

Happy Tablescape Thursday, dear friends.  I'm so glad you're here!




Valentine's Day, 2010

This table was inspired by those cute candy message hearts we see everywhere this time of year.








For details and additional pictures of this table setting , go HERE.



Valentine's Day, 2011:

The centerpiece for this Valentine's Day table setting was an easy-to-make candy bar sundae.  A truffle acted as the cherry on the top.



You'll find the tutorial for the candy bar parfait/sundae HERE.



For details and additional pictures of this table setting , click HERE.



Valentine's Day Breakfast, 2011:






For details, recipe and additional pictures of this table setting , click HERE.




Valentine's Day, 2009:







Same tablescape, but moved to the breakfast room...







For details and additional pictures of this table setting , click HERE.



For quick links to the above tablescapes, click any picture link below: Looking forward to all the tablescapes posted for this Tablescape Thursday! This post has been linked to Hookin Up with HoH.

To receive the latest posts, as well as updates about blog parties, subscribe via an RSS Reader or have BNOTP delivered right to your Inbox.  You'll find links to subscribe via RSS at the top of the sidebar to the right.  Thanks for reading; so glad you are here!

Reading this post via e-mail or RSS feed?
*If you are reading this via email or RSS feed, to view all the tablescapes linked for Tablescape Thursday, click HERE.

Please Read:
If you are participating in Tablescape Thursday, please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar, into the "url" box when you link up.

You'll need to include a link in your post back to the party in order to link up and participate.  That's so visitors to your blog will be able to find the party and  the other Tablescape Thursday participants.

If you would like to use the Tablescape Thursday logo button in your post, just copy and paste it to your computer and upload it to your post as you would any photo. Or, grab the html code you'll find under the "Parties" heading at the top of this blog.

Please, don't add your post name/blog name ALL IN CAPS...it tends to create big spaces between the rows of links. Thanks!

Let's try something fun today! Please visit the person who linked before you and after you...that way everyone will get some visits. Hope you'll visit more, of course.

Welcome! Thanks for coming to the party!

Labels: , ,

68 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger pamlovesbooks said...

yay i was hoping i didnt hafta wait until feb to get some inspiration, but please i need something a little less frilly. i'm kinda simple.

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Entertaining Women said...

Thans for the darling Valentines inspirations. The Valentine Parfait is such fun; I'll save that one. I wore contacts from the time that I was 12 years old until I was someplace into my 50's. At that time, I couldn't bear to keep them in my eyes...constant burning and scratching no matter what I did. I had to go back to my glasses for about 5 years, and I hated every moment. Finally, I had cataracts in both eyes, and I was able to have the lens transplants...best thing that ever happened to me! I always tell my friends that I hope they get cataracts. Tablescape Thursday is always such a delightful journey. I appreciate your dedication and perseverance. Cherry Kay

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
Your Tablescaps are Beautiful love them all Susan. Thanks so much for hosting you sweet linky party, hope you and your family have a wonderful week. Now I m going back and look so more.
XXOO Diane

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Meredith said...

I feel your pain. I remember being in college and going to my grandmother's house. She had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and finally needed assisted living. I looked through her cabinets and just bawled. All the memories flooded through my head. I ran to my car and called my mom and just cried and cried. It was not the best choice to go alone! Beautiful settings. I love your Spode China!!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Debbie said...

Bug hugs to you for your solo trip through the safety deposit box.

And thanks to you for the great inspiration. I hadn't even begun to think about my Valentine's Day table yet this year.

I love all the tables you showed, but my favorite is 2009. Stunning!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

Can't wait to use your inspiration for some fun Valentine's day table. You are always an inspiration.

Cynthia

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Cherry Kay, I've read about that and was almost hoping I'd have cataracts so I could get it done. lol The doctor said no sign of those, yet. I'm glad yours has worked so well...that's wonderful! One reason I don't have the laser surgery is right now if I remove my glasses, I can anything tiny like the inscription inside a ring. I can easily thread a needle, etc... So to read books in the evening, I just remove my glasses. If I have surgery done, I lose the ability to do that stuff without glasses, and I hate to give that up. I get my new contacts in a couple of days...so we'll see how these work. Keeping my fingers crossed.

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Diane!♥

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Meredith, that is sooo hard. Big hugs to you!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Debbie! ♥

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Awww, thanks, Cynthia! ♥

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Pammy, the candy hearts one is really simple...just leave off the boa and fluffy stuff. lol

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Anonymous Alycia Nichols said...

I KNEW I wasn't completely bonkers...aside the fact that I actually am! :-) I have been searching all over the place this year for the red, white, & pink candy corn. NOBODY in this region seems to have it! I knew I had seen it before (perhaps even bought some at one point), but everyone made it sound like I was dreaming. Whew! SO glad to confirm I'm not as "certified" as I though! :-) It's nice to take a trip down Valentine's Day Memory Lane. You have created some incredibly beautiful tables in years past, and I have no doubt next week's will be just as amazing. As for your trip to the safety deposit box...I'm sorry if you were crying because of painful memories. If they were good memories, though, that just touched your heart so deep that they brought on the waterworks, I'm glad to know that you have those memories to keep. Have a wonderful week!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Alycia...you are a sweetie! I saw the candy corn again when I was in a Tuesday Morning yesterday. I didn't buy them though because last time I did that, I found them a few days later at Walmart for less. So check Wally World!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Anonymous debbie refresh restyle said...

Your tables are amazing, I just love coming over to your blog! thanks for hosting, can I come over and eat sometime?? just kidding!
Debbie

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Your table is a yummy confection! Thanks for hosting, Susan!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Susan,
So sorry about your day hon, sounds like a tough day and sure hope you are feeling some better by now.
All your tables are wonderful, I remembered the one with the snicker bar Sundae, but don't think I saw the others, the first one was so sweet and soft. those lil Valentine heart muffins with the raspbery jam sure look yummy, and what a fun Valentines day breakfast! You are just so incredibly creative.
Have a good day tomorrow, and thanks for hosting as always hon,
Blessings, Nellie

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Susan, I was looking through all of your tablescapes early this morning for "inspiration". They were all lovely! I agree, it's hard getting older and starting to really face the challenges; whether it's Eyes, safety deposit boxes or aging parents. Much different thoughts than when I was 25. Blessing to you XO Cindy

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

That Valentines Breakfast Tablescape next to the bed...that is to die for. I may have to see if I can work something like that out! Thanks Susan, for sharing each of your beautiful posts and for hosting each week. <3

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I loved all your pretty Valentine's tables. I just adore the pink fluffy feathered one!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Hi Susan,

Ugh. I managed a bank for years and boy oh boy do I know about safe deposit boxes and all the headaches for bank as well as customers. I do NOT miss that headache!

Hate about your eyes. I had lasik done years ago in Canada, before it was done in the States and up till recently had perfect vision....I think my age is catching up to me, too. I get a lifetime "tweaking" but only get a couple, so been putting it off...need to do that....

The past St. Valentine's tablescapes are gorgeous.....will start my Val tablescape sharing next week. You just inspired me definately!!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Marlis said...

thanks Susan for hosting this lovely party each week! I did like seeing the post view of the tables you've created for Valentines! So many lovely ideas. Just love your red glassware.. xo marlis

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger martinealison said...

Des idées multiples et si généreuses pour fêter cette Saint Valentin...
J'avais beaucoup aimé celle de l'année dernière avec les coeurs sous cloche de verre...
Un gros bisou à vous

Il est toujours émouvant d'ouvrir un coffre dans de telles circonstances.

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger The Tablescaper said...

Great trip down memory lane! What will this Valentine's Day bring? Vibrant reds or soft pinks? Time will tell. Thanks for hosting.

- The Tablescaper

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Shari said...

$175?!! OUCH!

I'm going to have to check out those contacts. I blogged just yesterday about my age ("it's just a number http://rainintorainbows.com/2012/01/17/age-its-just-a-number/ ), but it's not just a number when it comes to some of the physical issues, is it? I've noticed my contacts drying out a lot lately but I was thinking that was because I use a sleep mask. Now I'm curious as to whether it's an age thing instead.

And another coincidence -- I actually called to schedule DD & my eye appointments just this afternoon. I'm definitely going to ask about those. Thanks for the heads up!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Thanks for sharing these past tables. Loved seeing them again. XO, Pinky

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Michele, that's great that it lasted so long. I didn't know they did tweaks later on...interesting!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Marlis! Red works for so many holidays...Valentine's, 4th of July, Christmas. Surprising how often it can be used.

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Sherry! Feels like a mini-vacation to have breakfast in the bedroom. A vacation that's free! :)

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Shari, my eye doctor didn't recommend the Duettes for me. I'm just going with the multifocal gas perms. I do think they sound so interesting though. Let me know what your doctor thinks of them...would love to hear.

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Pinky!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Alma!

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger megan said...

Susan, sorry you had a sad day, so I will try to make you laugh by asking, "Who were you expecting in your boudoir for breakfast?" :)
All the Valentine tablescapes are delicious.

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Lisa said...

Oh Susan, I feel your pain. Really. I was a menopause baby, so my mother died when I was young. My father(God love him) wasn't much of a communicator, so he gave me a key one day, and gruffly told me "Open this when I am gone". Opening that box was brutal. Enough said, thanks girlie. My bday is Valentines day, so looking forward to your tablescape is like waiting for a great present! Love looking at the ones already published. Thanks again.
Hugs, Lisa

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger we three dogs and me said...

So many sweet lol tablescapes.I love seeing all of your posts so many ideas and fun tables

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger we three dogs and me said...

Love all your past valentine posts. I have got to get my thinking cap on and come up with something cute. Thanks for sharing

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful, Susan. I love your style and am inspired by your creations.

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, as always, your ideas inspire and delight! I always look forward to what you will do next.

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Eclectically Vintage said...

Love the Valentine breakfast and getting some great ideas for my girls V-day party! Linked up my "Love Is" Valentine Wreath - thanks!
Kelly

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Debby S. said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful talents with us! You inspire me to create a wonderful place to share meals with my family!!!

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Linda Younkman said...

Susan I absolutely love your tablescapes. I too have a passion for tablewear and have purchased many pieces specifically for an occasion. My dilemma is where to store all of the pieces. You must have a ton of items and I was wondering how you solve this problem. I am particularly fond of the table with the red and white transferware and I'm looking forward to this years Valentine table.

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Tricia said...

My goodness, you had quite a day! But sounds like you got a couple of must-dos crossed off your list, so that's good. Thank you for hosting -- and for the Valentine's Day inspiration!

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Creations By Cindy said...

Love it all!!!! WOW!

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Sue said...

Oh such beautiful table settings...I remember seeing them before, but I always love to see them again. I wouldn't have had the energy after your day to even consider doing a new tablescape! You needed to put your feet up and relax! Thanks for hosting!

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Mary said...

With such an emotional day my hat is off to you for pulling it together to post! You go girl!

Beautiful tables and exciting ideas! Love them all!

Mary
From Virginia

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks! ♥

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks so much, Stefanie!

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Debby, thanks so much...that make my heart sing! :)

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Linda,
Right now it's all just squirreled away wherever I can find the room...mostly in kitchen cabinets, a small closet I turned into a dish closet (you can see that here: http://bit.ly/A0h6OC). I also keep one set of dishes on some shelves on an island in my laundry room and I store the ones I use most often on the porch, in the china cabinet on the porch. And I have a china cabinet in the dining room. That's about it. I would love to have a dish room like Bonnie. Have you seen hers? It's awesome! Here's a link to a post showing pictures of how she stores her china: http://bit.ly/4yB86s

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Sue! Too much to do...but that sounds divine! :)

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Mary! ♥

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Kathleen said...

Love the review of your scapes, Susan, all very lovely!
Thanks so much for hosting!

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Crafty Mischief said...

Oh no! What a day! Thank you for being a gracious host, as always and for the beautiful ideas!

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Anonymous Sandra said...

So much eye candy, thank you Susan!

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

Loved your reading about your experience at the bak. I cry each time I open my son and daughter's school boxes of memories. oops even welling now thinking about them. Have a lovely weekend. Sunny109

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Oh, Sunny...that would definitely get to me, too! It all goes by way too fast, doesn't it?
Hope you have a wonderful weekend, too!

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, I so look forward to your creative tables each week and wonder when you will run out of ideas! By giving others the opportunity to show their effort, you are encouraging so many to think about their table presentation.

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Socially Savvy said...

What a wonderful blog full of inspiring Valentines tablescapes. Will be revisiting these pictures over and over - they make me feel warm inside.
And bless you as you look inside the lock box. A big hug to you, Joy

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

I love Valentine's Day..your tables are stunning as always...very very lovely.

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2012 , Blogger xinex said...

I love all your past Valentine tablescapes, Susan...Christine

 
At Friday, January 20, 2012 , Blogger Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

You have given us inspiration with your beautiful Valentine tablescapes! Even though I remember most of them, I love looking at them over and over to see if I missed anything the first time. Thank you also for mentioning the Duette contacts. I had heard of them, and it's time I think seriously about doing something about my aging eyes ;o) Squinting is no longer an option since it gives away my age! I've worn RGP's since I was 17, and like you, have an astigmatism which presents a challenge with contact lens. Have a nice weekend!

 
At Friday, January 20, 2012 , Anonymous www.lifeisaparty.ca said...

Susan thanks for hosting what is always a great party. I love all your Valentine's day inspiration!
Dannyelle @ www.lifeisaparty.ca

 
At Friday, January 20, 2012 , Blogger Linda Younkman said...

Susan thanks for sharing your dish closet and Bonnie's. I think I died and went to dish heaven. I absolutely love the way Bonnie has all her dishes organized and stored. You both have some great dishes and accessories. Mine is scattered all of the place - I have my dining room china cabinet full, I have utilized some cabinet space in my laundry area and most is stored in my basement cabinets. I love depression glass, red transfer ware, and Christmas dishware. I find that the home goods store is a great resource for a lot of cute tableware and I'm a sucker for cut valentine plates, fall plates. You name it. Unfortunately I don't entertain as much as I would like and I don't get to utilize my pieces much but I simply cannot part with any of it. I only pray that at least one of my three children will appreciate it as much as I do.

 
At Friday, January 20, 2012 , Blogger Linda Younkman said...

PS I need to see more of Bonnie's tables capes. Does she have a blog or is there an easy way to find them on your blog. I only started following you a few months ago so I've not quite up to speed on all of this.

 
At Friday, January 20, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

No, unfortunately Bonnie doesn't have a blog. To find the ones I've posted by Bonnie, just type Bonnie into the "search" box on the right side bar and they should all come up. :)

 
At Friday, January 20, 2012 , Anonymous Alycia Nichols said...

Wally World! Thank you!!! Will do!!!!

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your family is truly blessed to have someone that takes such joy and creativity in providing them with such a wonderful home. The love you have for them is abundantly clear. Thank you for sharing that with all of us.

CaMinx

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Aww, thanks! Appreciate such a sweet comment. :)

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home