This Page

has been moved to new address

Shop Vintage and Save $$$
Between Naps on the Porch: Shop Vintage and Save $$$

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Mar 2, 2011

Shop Vintage and Save $$$

Though, I've finally found wallpaper remover that actually works to remove wallpaper (YAY!) I've been taking a little break this past week. Instead of stripping wallpaper, I've been indulging in the fun part of building a home office...the furnishing/decorating. I don't buy a lot of furniture these days, but starting a room from scratch has had me doing my part to boost the economy. I normally prefer old or vintage furniture. I love the character and history of the older pieces, warts and all. But when it came to a desk, I wanted something a bit more modern and super functional, so I went with new.

Other than the desk and an upholstered chair I purchased recently at Pier 1, I'm hoping to find vintage pieces to complete the office, if possible. This past weekend, I did a little shopping for a round accent or side table to go beside my new chair. I stopped by A Classy Flea and though I didn't find what I needed on this trip, I took some pics to share with you. After all, antiquing is lots more fun when done with a friend. :)

I took so many pics, I've divided them between two posts. I'll share the rest in a few days. In the meantime, let's go antiquing!

Beautiful Cherry Sideboard with mirror: $395




I love the look of this old vintage chair. The toile upholstery was in rough shape...it would need to be reupholstered. I think if I purchased this piece, I'd try to upholster it in something very similar to its current fabric. Don't you just love the shape of this chair?


Vintage Wing Chair: $119




Set of 4 Mahogany Chairs: $199 These were a little beat up but really pretty. Don't you love the fabric on the seat. Ummm, wonder if these came from the same house as the wing back chair?




Spring is fast approaching. Here's a great wicker swing...perfect for a screened-in porch: $99




Lots of salt cellars: $3 each




Beautiful Walnut Server: $899




Antique mantel: $350




I've never seen anything quite like this old Victorian box...






It appears to be a manicure kit: $59





A Classy Flea is where I found my "Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine" sign that's out on the screened-in porch. You can see that sign HERE and you can also buy them online, HERE.




Hammock for those lazy summer days: $69




Love these old vintage gowns. When I see old dresses like this, I can't help but wonder who wore them and if they were excited about their new gown?




Another vintage dress...




Here's a great example of why I prefer to buy vintage pieces. This side table below is available at the Ballard Designs website right now for $499.




Or, you could buy these side tables at A Classy Flea for only $65 for both, and paint them antique white or any color you would like. They were in good shape so they could even be left, as is. The style is so similar to the Ballard Designs table, don't you think? Actually, I like them better because they have a larger/deeper drawer. You could store books in there or a big box of tissues.




Hope you enjoyed our outing to A Classy Flea. See you tonight for Tablescape Thursday!

52 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Shops like these are so much fun! Love the second vintage dress, cream w/ little flowers. Looks so soft and feminine. Can't wait to see your next grouping! Have a great day Susan!

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Debra Howard said...

Looks like you came upon some great finds. I am like you on older furniture being better in most cases. I don't enjoy the fake wood of new furniture too much. I much prefer the real wood and history of older furniture. Enjoyed shopping with you. I look forward to seeing what else you found. By the way, I am having a giveaway over on my Gloryfeathers blog.
Debbie

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Custom Comforts said...

Very nice tour of the shop with all it's pretty furniture. Got a few ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Cindy

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Sandy said...

The Classy Flea looks like a great place to wander... thanks for sharing! Love the end tables.
Sandy

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Lori said...

I love the first buffet. Perfect size for my room!

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for the shopping trip - those prices seem really good to me - I have to get out of town to get prices that good.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger kenju said...

I love that Victorian Manicure box. Was it celluloid?

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Kathy@ Gone North said...

What great stuff. And the wicker swing makes me want to make a road trip to your part of the world.. : )
Thanks for sharing..

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger laxsupermom said...

What a lovely place to spend your morning poking around in. That wicker swing makes my heart sing! Oh, how I wish I had a front porch for a swing instead of a tiny stoop. Don't you love finding furniture that can be repurposed? I recently spent the day strolling an antique co-op, and enjoyed looking at all the furniture waiting to be loved. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Martha said...

You have some great treasures as your antique malls! Great prices -- I especially love that server -- a great European piece.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh fun! Thanks for taking us along.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Joani said...

Luv the Classy Flea shopping. I like the ones with the larger drawer. Actually, that color and handles work for me. Have a great day.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Love Being A Nonny said...

LOVE all this eye candy!!

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Frog Hollow Farm Girl said...

Hi Susan, where is this antique store? They have some beautiful pieces - thanks for sharing. I'm still working on my office - we put a TV down there the other day - I seem to like to have the TV going in the background when I'm working. Ciao, bella!

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Thanks for taking me antiquing with you! I saw many lovely things, especially the vintage gowns. Hope you find just the right table for your office.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

This post makes me want to go antiqueing this weekend! I love looking at all the lost treasures. I am enjoying the progress in your office too!

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kenju, I'm not sure if it was celluloid or not...that's a good question. Ummm, wonder how to tell?

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Frog Hollow Farm Girl: It's in the city of Marietta, Georgia, about 15-20 minutes from Atlanta. :)

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Pam Kessler said...

The buffet is gorgeous. That looks like such a fun store to shop in. Hope you find some great pieces for the office.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I'm a sucker for a great accent chair and I love the ones you've shown us here, Susan. That wing chair is great and I love the fabric.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Mary said...

I always love these trips! You are so lucky to have such a great shop near.

Mary

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Jocelyn said...

Wow what great prices for an Antique shop. In Florida, everything would be twice the price :-(

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

I have a refurbished piece JUST like the Ballard designs table for $45 in my booth!! I need to raise my prices *wink*

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger FABBY'S LIVING said...

Susan...great stuff. Love the wing chair and the set of 4, very cheap I think. So lucky to have store like this, I know what you mean, I have one like it with European vintage furniture and antiques. I often go and order special things when the container comes, now I ordered Eng. transfer dishes...can't wait 'til they come! Thank you again.

LOVE
FABBY

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Marian said...

I love your treasure hunting posts. I think it's because it's like safe sex. I have zero chance of bringing home a goody.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Jayna Rae said...

Those last night stands are the ones my grandma had.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Suzie said...

Oh what fun!

I have a box a lot like that one that belonged to my grandmother---I've always wondered what it was...

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger martinealison said...

En me promenant dans vos photos comme aux puces je me suis régalée l'oeil et j'ai particulièrement aimé cette belle robe et le chapeau...
Gros bisous

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

I love the Classy Flea!! I got my vintage shutters there for cheap cheap!!

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Bonnie said...

Fun! Love everything you photographed, Susan! Especially liked the sheer gown with the rose flowers... how pretty it would be on a mannequin with a few pretty necklaces.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger gertie @ The Old Block House said...

Thank you for sharing. It's wonderful to get a glimpse into the finds of others on their flea market adventures.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Jennifer said...

Loved the shopping spree you took me on today. I recently purchased a couple of old chairs you can check them out at my blog...

http://allthingsgood-jennifer.blogspot.com/2011/03/in-over-my-head.html

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Sherrie said...

So many gorgeous finds! I really like that mantel, so many places you could use it.
Have a beautiful day!

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger jo said...

Oh you are so Lucky, We just dont have anything like that here in New Zealand. We do have antique shops but they are not cheap and you can pay a small fortune for what everywhere else junk. Personally I don't mind "junk" in fact I love it, but I do not want to pay huge sums of money for it. I look at your blog and i must admit to feeling very jealous. Long gone are the days when I could go around all the junk markets of the UK and like you, make some fun purchases. Ah well back to my Op shop hunting!!

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Phyllis said...

Oh, how I love "shopping" with you via the internet and your wonderful blog!! Actually, I did a little of that type shopping this morning and found a couple of items. I agree with you...buying the vintage and finding just what you had in mind, beats buying new any day....it is such a satisfaction to find a piece that reflects your own personality and has a history for added measure!!

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Lori said...

I have to have that sign. Just checked out the website...do you mind me asking what color is yours? I guess the colors are for the background and not the lettering. Thanks for the fun day of shopping. Much more fun than my trip to Walmart and the grocery store.

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Lori,
I think mine is probably Old Sea Blue. I'm not really positive since I found it at A Classy Flea but after looking at all the colors on that site, I think it looks most like Old Sea Blue.
Hope this helps!

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, I like how you wonder about the dresses and the special occasions they were worn...when I see old cars all smashed flat at a scrap yard I often think how sad it is that a car that was once someone's pride and joy...maybe one they went on their honeymoon in, or one they saved hard earned money from a young boy that mowed many lawns to afford it, or...you get the picture! :-) Thank you for sharing so many of your thoughts and findings with us!!!!
Beka

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Susan, I love my virtual visits to the Classy Flea! And if I lived near you I would be bringing home that chair! It looks deep enough to curl up in, and those wings would provide a great head rest. And the price seems to be very good. I don't know how I would reupholster it--depends on the room. If I put it in my office, maybe a happy color! Linda

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Sarah said...

Susan, thanks for taking us along. We had a wicker swing on our screened in porch but gave it up when we enclosed the space with doors and windows. I miss not having a swing. This one looks fabulous and a great price. ~ Sarah

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Anonymous Pamela Gordon said...

Great stuff! Those wood bedside tables at the end are almost exactly like mine that go with our bedroom set. And, I'd love to paint the whole thing but the Mr. is not in favour. :-(

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Anonymous A homemaker said...

I have always loved vintage pieces and love coming here and drooling your beautiful treasures !

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Vintage accent furniture is definitely the way to go. Good luck finding just what you want! Me? I want that swing -- but my porch isn't enclosed and I'm afraid it would get ruined. Great price, though!

 
At Wednesday, March 02, 2011 , Blogger Jen T said...

I love Classy Flea..I live in Cartersville, so it's a nice outing for me..I need to get down there!

 
At Thursday, March 03, 2011 , Blogger On Crooked Creek said...

Susan,
Adored your post today on Antique shopping. . .thanks for taking me along with you! I, too, draw inspiration from visiting Antique shops. My mother said I was born old. What she meant was I have a love of all things vintage! If I'd, truly, gone with you. . .those dining room chair would have been hard to resist!
Happy hunting for unique items for your office. .. I know it will be fabulous!
Fondly,
Pat

 
At Thursday, March 03, 2011 , Blogger The Single Nester said...

Thanks for the tour. And you know I love that Summer Breeze sign!

 
At Friday, March 04, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Vintage stuff is fantastic it is unique and good.it is euphemism for "old" or "old-fashioned.
Through vintage dresses and other stuff you can reflect what was the fashion trend before.

I love those stuff!

try this
http://www.thesefoolishthings.co.uk/

 
At Friday, March 04, 2011 , Blogger Marianne said...

Thanks so much for the tour....what great finds.....I just love vintage furniture. You get better quality and alot of character for a lot less money. I just love the history behind old things, who used it, what they used it for, where it came from. My dream is to but an old home and restore it...someday!!
Marianne

 
At Friday, March 04, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Marianne, I couldn't agree more...we are kindred spirits. :)

 
At Sunday, March 06, 2011 , Blogger CJ Foss said...

Love antiquing with you! Thank you for sharing and inspiring me daily. $499 for the white side table as opposed to $65 for the two from Classy Flea - NO CONTEST! Go Team Vintage.

 
At Sunday, March 06, 2011 , Blogger {oc cottage} said...

Apparently, shopping is much more fruitful back East! That manicure set for $59??!! Yikes! And when I think what I have spent on salt cellars...$3 each...makes me want to cry! There is sure NOTHING like the The Flea in these parts!!!!

m ^..^

 
At Thursday, March 10, 2011 , Blogger ~CC Catherine said...

Hi Susan, Loved the shopping spree at Classy Flea with you. We've been traveling in to Madison GA lately for some fun shopping and found some really adorable things. Miss seeing and talking to you. I've been traveling about two weekends out of the month for 6 mos now. Not enough time in the week to blog visit I'm afraid, with also working 40 hours. You take care...blog is gorgeous, AS ALWAYS! ;) Love the thumbprint of the pic with your kitty with the "mouse". Too cute.

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home