This Page

has been moved to new address

The Escalator to Nowhere...Foiling a Pesky Squirrel
Between Naps on the Porch: The Escalator to Nowhere...Foiling a Pesky Squirrel

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Aug 11, 2009

The Escalator to Nowhere...Foiling a Pesky Squirrel

See this innocent, sweet looking critter perched on one of my deck chairs? Don't let that cute face fool you.


He's just waiting until I turn my back so he can feast on birdseed from my "squirrel-proof" feeders. The feeders hang from the decks going out from either side of the porch. Mr. Squirrel has figured out that he can climb out the skinny, metal pole from which the feeders hang...then hang upside down from the top so the feeder doesn't shut down...then he eats to his squirrely heart's content. He can single handily clean out a feeder in two days time.


I recently read of a way to discourage this behavior. Do you see my anti-squirrel device? It's a $3 slinky from Wal-mart. :-)


I put one on each feeder. Now, let's lay in wait and see if they work...


Shhh, do you see him...he's hanging over the edge of the deck checking out the new hi-tech, anti-squirrel device.


Yes! The plan worked! Mr. Squirrel kept trying to climb out onto the pole to hang from the top of the feeder, but each time he tried, the slinky just kept moving and moving and moving....like an escalator with steps that never end. He retreated. I cheered! Humans: 1, Squirrels: Zip!


Now, if I could just figure out a way to get him to quit stripping every single leaf off my two hibiscus trees. He's broken many of the branches completely off while climbing on them to raid the leaves. This hibiscus was lush and full when I brought it home earlier this summer.


And here's the other one. :-( Did you know squirrels love hibiscus leaves? I didn't, but I sure do now! I've caught him carrying off leaves that were as big as his head...the little stinker. Any ideas? I've already tried spraying the plants down with jalapeno juice/water...unfortunately, it didn't work. I welcome your ideas! :-)


Remember that old cartoon where Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are arguing back and forth...Daffy says, "It's wabbit season" and Bugs says, "It's duck season!" Back and forth they go, "wabbit season" no..."duck season."



Well, it's about to be squirrel season...here at the porch! And I'm packing slinkies...so you just better watch out, Mr. Squirrel!


Labels: ,

82 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 11, 2009 , Blogger Tammy518 said...

I just knew, as soon as I saw that "wascally wabbit," that he was up to no good! I love seeing the squirells frolic, but they sure can go through some bird seed. Good luck keeping that little guy away from the buffet!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Barbara Jacksier said...

Squirrels are public enemy Number 1 in my garden. And, it's not just the bird food anymore. This year they've robbed me of almost every peach, pear and apple on my fruit trees. I'm spitting mad!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Sometimes It's Good said...

Aaaah, but squirrels are cute!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

susan, this was just too cute for words. Not the squirrel eating the birdseed.. the slinky and how it works. Great idea. We're not bothered by too many squirrels around here. I'm not quite sure why. I hope you figure out how to keep him out of the hibiscus. I'm sure there is someone out there with an answer for you. hugs ~lynne~

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Anne Fannie said...

I so enjoyed your squirrel proof slinky idea! I am on the warpath here with the squirrels too. They eat everything in my garden! When I found all my tomatoes in my upside down tomato plant all gone and they just left me skin and seeds on the floor, that is when I declared war! I have to try that slinky idea. Great!
~Ann

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger From the Old InkWell said...

They are really smart little critters. I've been amazed at the ways they figure out how to get to the bird seed!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Sharlotte said...

Ha! Too cute! I LOVE the slinky idea. That is funny, isn't it?

Aren't squirrels amazing? I don't know how they can hang upside down, eat, and digest their food. Hm, maybe they just store the food in their cheeks...or is that chipmunks?

I don't have an answer for your hibiscus. If a jalapeno spray didn't work, I don't know what would. If you find a solution, please let us know!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger imjacobsmom said...

Hey, now that's a great idea! Jacob has a few slinkies around here, I think I'll dig them out and give this a try. ~ Robyn

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

Cute post, Susan! Love Bugs, he rocks! I'm sure you will be less than thrilled to know that squirrels also eat impatients, geraniums and worst of all....ROSES! Last year they completely ate up all of my roses, geraniums and most of the impatients. I had a sad patio last year.

Well, they started in again this year. Yikes! So, after a some reading on this problem, I discovered the options seem limited. No way was I going to use poison and I too tried the jalapeno spray. I think they like a little spice! Then I thought I'd try a practical approach. They don't like to be wet and cats are their natural predators. So we've taken to the garden hose and cat hair as our weapons of choice. Instead of tossing out the cat's hair after grooming her, I started spreading it in the containers and around the patio. They do hate the hose, as soon as they hear it turn on they take off running! ha! Took about 3 weeks to discourage them. So far it seems to have been working, everything is growning back nicely. Now if I can just figure out how to get rid of the raccoons. They chewed up my patio cushions! Slashed them to bits. When one door closes... haha!

Tina

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

Ooop! Forgot to mention, I love your slinky idea! You clever girl!

Tina

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susan from the UK

We thought we had some very hungry birds or squirrels when we had about 5 different bird feeders in our garden, until one day sitting looking we saw four rats running up the metal poles, sometimes even falling off, and eating away at the seeds or the fat balls. We have now removed them, given them a good clean and put them in the garage. We just have a small open feeder which I just put a small amount on each morning and tea time and the blackbirds come and feed. Hopefully in the Spring I will be able to return the feeders so that the nesting birds have food for their young Also in the winter we have a robin that is always visiting!Last year we had a pair of great tits in the nesting box. Luckily we haven't seen the rats since we removed the feeders.

Jackie.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Mumzie said...

I'd take that little squirrel anyday to the country rats and opossums that come and raid our bird feeders. They follow the fense line from the orchard and raid everything at night. Drives Buddy & Connor crazy.
Great post! Mumzie

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Maryrose said...

Hi Susan,
Looks like you outsmarted that wascally little guy. Love the slinky, you are a clever one. Thanks for the fun post.
Maryrose

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger P. said...

He's such a dear!

Alfazema

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger square kitchen said...

The squirrels in my garden are stealing the hazelnuts always, and I could cook so much nice things with it, what a pity. I feel really sorry for the hibiscus. Lucky me, they are not interested in the hibiscus in my garden.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger The Curious Cat said...

hee hee - love this entry - wicked! My step father used to battle with the squirrel - he'd use all sorts of tactics to stop his from getting the nuts. He even hammered extremely thick wedges of wood on the top and bottom of the feeder but somehow the pesky thing managed to still naw through to them. Slinky is a great idea though...genius! Still it is fun to watch the squirrel figure out the puzzle! He probably enjoys the challenge! As for the hibiscus tree...hmmm...jalapeno juice was a good one - maybe make it stronger? Cayene pepper on the leaves?! Er...or just a mesh cage around it too?!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Reneé DeLano said...

such pretty photos!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a great idea! That slinky worked!! Thanks for the great tip.
Hugs,
Penny

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Martha said...

For as many trees as we have, we only have one squirrel -- we let him eat (even though it is far more than the birds) and then when we think he's had enough -- we let Ollie, the corgi out . . . away he goes!

Squirrels are interesting -- have you seen the video of the bungee cord that slings them to "here and gone".

I didn't know that about the squirrels and hibsicus leaves though -- THAT was interesting!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Anonymous Donna said...

Susan, The slinky thing is too funny and so creative! I did not know squirrels liked hibiscus leaves.
Donna

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger amariaf2000 said...

This is GREAT!! Maybe see if there's a way to put a slinky up the trunk of the tree! :-)

~angela @ peonypatch

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! We have the exact same "squirrel proof" birdfeeder and have had it completely cleaned out overnight several times. We haven't been able to catch the culprit in action though. Like the slinky idea...

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Anonymous Elena said...

Lol, what a great idea. I wonder if a slinky will work the for possums - they're our public enemy No.1 in our garden. Why do pesky pests always look so cute??

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Marlis said...

i have a squirrel that looks at me and laughs (I swear he does) when I ask him what he's doing in my flower pot... he's so demolished one of them. And if the bird bath is empty he squeaks until i come out and fill it.. :)

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a problem with squirrels digging up my annuals in my deck planters so I placed clear plastic forks (tines up) around the edges. So far it's working and now I can't even see the forks since the flowers have filled in.
Good luck!
Kathy

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Rebecca @ Belle Blog said...

Too funny. slinkys are so useful. we have one at work to play with as an anti stress device. hope the slinky works for you!!
♥ Rebecca

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Sue said...

Susan, What a clever way to deter that pesky squirrel from hanging down and eating your birdseed! Where did you read about this idea? The little guys are cute, but they CAN be pests. Hope you find a solution for the hibiscus plant.
:-) Sue

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Shellbelle said...

Slinkies vs. Squirrels, who knew? Very clever!

I sit at my computer and watch the squirrel run across the top of my fence to get to my hibiscus plants, I never realized they were eating them! Now I know why they always look so bad. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Char said...

Squirrels may be cute, but they will go to war with you in a heartbeat and never look back. We don't have them here, but when we lived in Maryland I used to feed them. Righ before we left, I stopped. Not only were they out on the fence tapping there tails in anger, they began to EAT the wood on the fence. I hate the little guys, but love to watch them play, they are "cute" but only in someone else's yard. Your slinky is a great idea and that I would love to see!! Must be fun to watch, BUT it's early, he may figure it out in the end, please keep up all posted.......Char

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Deborah said...

What a delightful post!!! He is so cute but quite destructive. Your photos are enchanting. What a magical little world you have over there. **sigh**

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a little rascal he is. The slinky is such a wonderful idea. I never heard of that. Good luck with the Hibiscus. Hugs, Marty

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Denise said...

awww, he does look cute... but what a little menace! Love the pics :) I have no ideas about the plants and leaves though.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Sarah said...

A slinky! How clever of you! Squirrels are cute, but only when they up in a high branch chattering down at me. :-) I haven't noticed them chewing on my plants, but they've feasted on our patio cushions. I suppose they like the material to "feather their nest" so to speak. Once one got into the attic. Had to buy a trap for that one. I store extra dishes on shelves up there. And yes, he knocked things around, and one of my favorite bowls with a patriotic theme was smashed to pieces. :-( Counting my blessings that he only destroyed one piece!
Happy Wednesday to you, Susan!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Dana and Daisy said...

theo nly thing I can think of that might keep that guy away from your hibiscus in maybe a big labrador?

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Decor To Adore said...

You got to hand it to a rodent that is SO inventive! I meant the squirrel, not you. :)

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Jo said...

Love the slinky idea! How abt putting netting on the hibiscus?...Jo

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Grami's girls said...

I do enjoy the squirrels but they can be a pest! I sprinkle black pepper in my flower beds to keep the dogs out and it works, I have no idea if it works with squirrels..you could try that around your hibiscus....becky

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Anonymous Joanie @ The Bright Side said...

Ha! Great Post! We don't have squirrels though, we have bunnies who are eating us out of house and home. Love that slinky idea. Brilliant!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Colleen said...

Maybe just maybe if you put out squirrel food, they will back off on the bird seed and plants. I live with the woods right behind my house so have many squirrels. I have six hibiscus plants in my front flower beds and have never seen squirrels near them. Can't imagine how to rid that problem. Go to your local feed/hardware store. I bet they can help you.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Knitty said...

Such funny, but helpful advice. I used to like squirrels, but they've been demoted to mildly attractive rats in my opinion.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Pam @ Frippery said...

I didn't realize squirrels ate leaves from plants, duh. I absolutely love the duck season wabbit season episode, my favorite episode of my favorite cartoon. Too funny!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Beeutiful by Design said...

So funny - we have several squirrels and bought the "sq proof" feeders too. Ours climb down the feeder and then swing it back and forth till some food falls out and then jump down and eat it! I'll have to try the slinky. Our cat's good about chasing them away too, I think he likes just birds to sit and look at.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger MissyM said...

That's funny. I didnt know about the slinky solution. I really dont mind the squirrels in general, but when they raid the feeders they make such a mess. We put ears of corn out for them but they do love the bird feed.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

I know this is not a funny situation to you but I was actually laughing out loud while reading. And I enjoyed it so much, I had to go back and read it a second and third time! Still laughing. Sorry.

I swear that first photo looks like Mr. Squirrel is pointing to his chest and asking, "Who me???"

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Just a little something from Judy said...

It is in the middle of a very busy day when I run into my computer and check out a few blogs, yours being one of them. This post made me laugh. It is a great post!! My mother will be so excited that you discovered this slinky solution. As I read down through the story I kept smiling because she is going through the exact thing you are. If you continue to find this solution to take care of your squirrel problem, she just may send you a thank you note. She has rubbed olive oil on the posts, she has done something with red pepper, and to no avail. I loved your last sentence about "squirrel season" around there. Thank you for today's laughter.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Lori E said...

Squirrels are just cute rats. They damage not only your gardens and bird feeders but they chew the wiring insulation in your homes too. Very dangerous.
You can get a sprinkler that is motion activated and point it at the planter for a while to deter them. They use them for deer and dogs and cats.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Glenda/MidSouth said...

Cute or not - they are very destructive. We have an overload around here. :( What a great idea using the slinky.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger santamaker said...

Awwww...Susan, I'm shocked that you would want to shoooo away that cute little guy! We have given up with ours, the squirrels are getting fatter by the day...survival of the fittest, I guess.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Miss Lady Grey said...

I'm one of the few people out there that don't find squirrels cute at all. To me, they are just rats with fuzzy tails!!
I don't have a bird feeder simply because the squirrels continue to get at them (despite the fact that they are "squirrel proof"). But I LOVE your solution with the slinky, and will have to try that one. Thank you so much!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Linda Q said...

What a great idea, patent it and you are set!
They are so crafty those little squirrels, I have seen them do some unbelievable things to get at our bird feeder too.
Linda
Hey, want to know if you are having problems loading photos today?

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Tamara Jansen said...

Those rotten critters just have to chew up our gardens! Why can't they just leave us alone :)

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Anonymous AlisonH said...

A slinky! I LOVE it! I am so going to pass this on to the owner of our local Wild Bird Center store.

I set up my squirrelproof feeder, and having been warned they can learn to hang down and defeat it, I made a point of sitting at my computer nearby, ready to scare any that came. These are city squirrels, not used to being afraid of anything, but I charged each one, yelling, and one so freaked that he fell off the porch awning to the concrete patio.

They've all respected The Crazy Woman since--word got around--and settled for eating birdseed scattered from above by the finches like good little squirrels.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger NicNacManiac said...

I'm going to give that slinky idea a try...see to work...thanks for sharing!!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Scrap for Joy said...

What a delightful post. I, too, am on the side of the squirrel lovers but we had a similiar problem with our feeder. We used red pepper in the seed which the squirrels didn't like at all and then we started feeding them peanuts and they don't bother our feeders anymore. I love the slinky idea...bet it was funny to watch!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger 9405018--Pat said...

Love the slink idea! great post today...thanks for sharing...Pat H

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

maybe wrap a slinky around the tree trunk?! His little squirrely feet might get caught in it, then what would you do? LOL

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Yansy said...

What a fabulous idea. I must try it at our new homw as soon as we move.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Kathleen said...

I didn't know the squirrels ate hibiscus!
Yuck on the squirrels, little rats we call them! Hope you win your battle..I have the deer problem here!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger ~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Hi Susan, What a great post. We have pretty much decided to just let them eat with the birds but your post has me on the move to Walmart just to see how they handle the new device. Should be quite a routine between the 3 of them. I believe they are all siblings as they were so cute and little this spring. . . and into big fat squirrls grow!
I'll keep you posted~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Grandma Elsie said...

Humm Wonder if they will work for the suet feeders as well and raccoons too.....
I have my share of all those.
Elsie <><
p.SA. are those thing's in the home and garden center & what are they called ? ?

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Beck said...

Susan - I didn't read through all of the suggestions...but I use garlic cloves in my flowerbeds to keep pests away....apparently, they hate it. I love garlic and now I love my flowerbeds too! Hope it works for you! Becky

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Bill said...

Hi Susan,
What a fun post ... "Susan goes to War!"
That's a pity about your hibiscus leaves being stolen! I have no idea how you can stop it from happening!

There are some very cute baby raccoons in my neighborhood ... They go from house to house looking for cat food outside. Well, they looked INSIDE at the house with a doggie door .. repeatedly. I think the humane (I hope) traps will arrive at that house ... any day now.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Eileen said...

Cute post!
And thanks for the tip! Very innovative! I love it!
All the best,
Eileen

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Kelly said...

I think they are so darn cute.. my husband even made a birdhouse out of a milk jug just for them to sit in and eat the sunflowers away.

Just a thought: maybe buy a fake snake and put them around your plant? My grandmother had several fake snakes in her garden to keep those kinds of animals away, seems to work for her. You may have to remind yourself that it's fake before ya scream your pretty head off! LOL!

BTW: love your blog and I LOVE your sunroom, it's one of my dreams to have one someday.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Nancy said...

Well, when the slinky gives out... try Safflower Seeds. They really do not care for Safflower Seeds. I was having problems with Crackles,Starlings and Squirrels. Once I changed over to all Safflower Seeds... problem solved. Safflower Seeds have a bitter taste. All the lovely birds I want... love the Safflower Seeds. I only saw the squirrel once and he did not stay long.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger California Girl said...

very cute.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Anonymous Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Ah, I thought I had tried everything, but, I haven't tried this! I've about decided that my grandpa was right about squirrels. When I complain about them, he would tell me that the squirrels had to eat too. Of course, he has custom build feeders that hold about 50 pounds of seed each!

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger KBeau said...

Squirrels are the enemy. I can't seem to keep them out of my attic. At Christmas we couldn't even sleep in the guest room (we gave up our first floor master bedroom for my MIL) because a squirrel got into the wall and made all kinds of racket. I love the slinky idea.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Shana said...

At my old house in Baton Rouge, the sqirrels were one of my favorite things!! I loved to watch them play in the yard. I would put bird seed at the end of the yard, away from the bird feeders and that kept them out of the birds' stash.... Thanks for sharing the pics...

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Clever idea Susan! (Guess what is on my shopping list?!) *grin*

Love the reminder of that memorable cartoon, too. :)

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea. I have never heard of using a slinky. That could have saved me beaucoup $$$ in all the squirrel "proof" stuff I have bought. My sister says squirrels are just rats in nice outfits. ha ha!

Sorry about your hibiscus. I didn't know squirrels at hibiscus. I lived in FL for many years with lots of hibiscus everywhere and never once saw a squirrel eating it.

I personally have a deer problem. I would trade with you.

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger xinex said...

Great idea, Susan. I'm going to have to buy slinkies too!...Christine

 
At Wednesday, August 12, 2009 , Blogger Charlotte said...

Hi Susan....very clever with the Slinky....now if you can only figure out a way to keep these little buggers from eating their way inside our house through the gutters and shingles....you could make a fortune...

 
At Thursday, August 13, 2009 , Anonymous caren said...

Squirrels must work for the devil! I have also lost hibiscus bushes to them. I finally have kept them out of the bird feeder but I like the slinky idea!

 
At Thursday, August 13, 2009 , Blogger susan said...

Personally, I think squirrels are cute, but then I don't have one eating my hibiscus! My neighbor (who got them in her attic) calls them glorified rats! They can be a nuiscance. Wish you had a picture on the Slinky in action!

 
At Thursday, August 13, 2009 , Blogger Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Susan, this was hilarious, love the slinky plan. I won't even tell you what happens to squirrels at our house, somebody would be mad. It's my hubby's doing, he hates the critters & considers them rats.

 
At Thursday, August 13, 2009 , Blogger Dena said...

Okay, I'm going to buy some slinkies now! That is the best idea! I used to love squirrels until they pulled all of the stuffing out of my cushions to make their nests cozy. Look out squirrels, this...means war!

Hugs,
Dena

 
At Thursday, August 13, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRILLIANT !!! I am going to try it....I have been plagued by those greedy nastees for years!! I love watching
my backyard birds enjoying their treats and it looks
like I will get the comic treat of squirrel antics foiled
by a toy. Absolutely brilliant! Thanks Susan :o)

 
At Thursday, August 13, 2009 , Blogger Pinky said...

THANK YOU soooo much for the slinky idea! I will be going to Walmart ASAP for some slinkys! We ahve battled the squirrels for 25 years now.NOW, we have RACCOONS raiding the bird feeders at night too! We also ahve the "squirrel proof" feeders....HA! Those buggers are VERY SMART! I also had a gorgeous hibiscus on my deck and our squirrels STRIPPED it of all it's leaves, flowers, everything. I was SOOOO mad too! Some people think swuirrels are CUTE: to me they are a menace:):):) Hugs, Pinky

 
At Thursday, August 13, 2009 , Blogger Neabear said...

The slinky is a great idea! I will have to tell my parents about that one. Don't know if they can us that idea. Depends on where the feeders are located. Thanks for sharing!

 
At Thursday, August 13, 2009 , Blogger Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What a cute post! I love the slinky idea. I've tried greasing the pole, but they've still made it to the feeder, and they can clean out the bird feeders in nothing flat! Love your comparison to Bugs Bunny! You are so cute! laurie

 
At Friday, August 14, 2009 , Blogger Nancy Holte said...

Clever idea, Susan. I'm so impressed! I wonder if it would work to ward off raccoons, also!

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home