This Page

has been moved to new address

Christmas Shopping in April & Three or More Tuesday!
Between Naps on the Porch: Christmas Shopping in April & Three or More Tuesday!

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Apr 21, 2009

Christmas Shopping in April & Three or More Tuesday!

Back in November, I blogged about this interesting photo I found in an Orvis catalog...it was part of an advertisement for knives made by a French company called Laguiole. The caption below the photo read: French knife makers created ways to lie face down and save their backs...rather than sit hunched over all day...to hone knives on their sharpening wheels. The knife makers brought their dogs to the shop to keep them company and to keep them warm. Dozorme factory...circa 1900's.

I had never heard of this particular brand of knife, but you guys had! And after reading some of your comments, I knew this was a great knife made by a great company. So, here I am, months later shopping in Marshalls and look what I found! Each of these sets of six knives was on sale for only $10! Yipee! I bought three sets, one for me and two to give as gifts this Christmas.
Each set has a different style handle...the one on the left is stainless, the second has a pearl look and the third is a beautiful wooden handle. They also had a solid black handle...but I decided I shouldn't be too greedy...I left some for the other lucky shoppers! :-) Which set should I keep? (Click on the pics to enlarge for a better view.)

And look at this! Each knife, in each of the sets, has a tiny little bumble bee on it...reminds me of the Napoleon Bee flatware from Horchow! :-)

If you aren't familiar with Laguiole, here's a bit of history from their website. I think this may have been translated from French, because it reads a little odd. :-)
From their website:
1829: Birth of Laguiole knife inspired by the "Capuchado" local fixed blade knife with beech wood handle and the Spanish Navaja switch blade.
1840: The Laguiole adds an awl, used by the regional farmers to pierce the paunch of diseased cows.
1880: The Laguiole gets a corkscrew, essential tool for the Aubracians going up to Paris to be coal or beer retailers.
1981: Creation of Laguiole Knife Association in order to promote and develop a knife industry in the Village.

Since this time, Laguiole owns a factory with a forge and several knife assembling workshops. Some of them can be visited all the year long.

At the beginning, Laguiole was a very small rescue Chapel, depending on Alcorn parish. Etymologically, Laguiole comes from the word "La Gleisola" (1182) that means the little church. Its spelling should normally need a separation in the word to make appear the original article. Laguiole village is located in Aveyron Department, in Aubrac Region which covers three departments: Aveyron, Cantal and Lozère. The junction of these three departments is named the Three Bishops Cross. In the XVI th Century, Laguiole became principal church. The pronunciation Laïole comes from our ancestor's patois. The first houses of Laguiole Village were built at the north of the fort, close to it, in the quarter named today the Batut. Till end of XVIII th century, the village was protected by a rampart and a ditch (lou Bolat) situated at the present place of Valat street. On the slopes, at the south of the fort, were built several level houses which constituted Lou Barry, named today le Faubourg. At that time, the main street of this quarter was the "Bombecul" street. This denomination may appear, still today, somewhat coarse, bu it is the perfect illustration of one's body position if you have to walk up the street from south to north. Houses of this street and of nearby alleys are the living witnesses of these old days.

Here's a fascinating video...it will give you a whole new respect for what goes in to making these wonderful knives! The music they have playing along with the video is very pretty, so you may want to scan down to the bottom of the blog and mute my Playlist.


You can visit the website for Laguiole by clicking HERE

When I find a great deal, I just have to share it with you...my sweet Bloggy friends! Get thee to a Marshalls...posthaste! Merry Christmas in April! :-)


Today is the 23rd Three or More Tuesday and I just realized this post fits right in! :-) Stop by and say hello to our gracious host, Tam, over at The Gypsy's Corner by clicking HERE ...lots more Three or More posts await your visit!

Labels:

43 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Kammy said...

Hi Susan,

Those knives are awesome, I want
some ! I was just at Marshalls
this weekend - I just need to get
better at looking at each and every
aisle ! You sure got a bargin- I
can tell you are a Professional
Shopper !

Hugs ~ Kammy

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Dixie said...

I bought these too... just the pearl handled ones... aren't they great?!

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Celene said...

What a wonderful blog! I had never heard of these knives before either. I will visit here often! Blessings, Celene

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Pinky said...

Well, I will get me to Marshall's forst thing tomorrow!!!!!!! These knives look terrific and WHAT a bargain! Thanks, Susan! LOve, Pinky

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Kathysue said...

Susan I actually had these knives in my cart at TJMaxx and put them back because I was buying Christmas gifts at the time and the knives were for me!!! I will go to our Marshalls and see if they have them. I own the cheese knives in the ivory and I love them. They are beautifully crafted knives. I am glad you share such wonderful bargains here in blogland. Hugs Kathysue

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger English Cottage in Georgia said...

Fascinating and informative post. The knives are beautiful. The pic of the workers is a puzzle until explained...how creative they were.

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Kathleen said...

Those knives are beautiful! What a bargain..I don't know which I would pick..maybe the green as I don't have that color...so pretty!

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't those a thing of beauty and the bees are just too perfect. I remember that picture of the men on their stomachs working away. I'm so glad you were able to do a follow up post.
Have a great evening Susan!

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Dream Mom said...

I'd pick the center one. Love the bees on them! I'll have to check them out.

As for the "feeds", here's how to do it:

-Go to your dashboard (should be the toolbar at the top of your blog visible only to you).
-Click on "Settings".
-Click on "Site Feed".
And there you have it. You can click "full feed" or whatever you like.

Hope this helps. Once you do that, then I just click on the feed button on my pc and it puts your blog in my feed list, versus selecting a feed aggregator (like Google or Yahoo) to read from.

Take care. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Love those knive's girls the bbe's remind me of your flatware..Now Susan I posted my Entry today if you want to swing by and see it girl..not fancy like yours..But I do have some antiqutes in it...May you have a great day...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Kris said...

Hi Susan, Interesting story on the knives. I'll have to check them out. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a set at my local Marshall's. I could really use a good set of knives.

I'm hosting a giveaway, stop by and enter if you get a chance.

Kris

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Ann On and On... said...

What a great find! I heart Marshall's and TJ's... Someone will be very happy this Christmas.

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Deanna said...

Dear Susan, this is such an interesting photograph. I can't imagine lying this way to work all day.

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Jan said...

Anything you pick will be the best choice. I put Sugar Cookie on the main bath wall today..waitng for morning light, then will send the picture ? :) Chat soon , Jan

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Susan,
What an intersting photo...with an unusual story!!! I never would have thought of lying down while working...then again I never had to create knives all day long either.

I think I would keep the mother of pearl handled knives...so attractive!!!

Your Marshalls is definitely better stocked than mine...I'm coming to visit;)!!! I am going to check these out on there website...I love the little bees!!!

Have a great Three or More Tuesday!!!
XOXO
Cathy

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Martha said...

I got some at Marshall's several years ago and they are the best! I really like them and would definitely recommend them.

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Stacey said...

I'm guessing you got quite the bargain on those knives! They are beauties.

You know, I was just thinking that it's time to start Christmas shopping and stashing the goods. :)

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Renae Moore said...

You did good Girl! You are such a good shopper, a great find, will have to go check it out myself!
hugs....

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Karen said...

Hi Susan,

Don't mean ot hijack the comments string, but I couldn't figure out how to email you...

I can no longer read your entire post or see images in Google Reader...I was sure I previously could. Did you change your settings or am I dreaming?

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What great knives and such a good price. I was just a Marshalls yesterday, but only went down the dish aisle. I guess I need to shop all of the aisles. Thanks for sharing. I may have to go back. I love the pearl ones and the little bees are just perfect. Hugs, Marty

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

This knife story is facinating!!! I love those knives and must have me some!! Thanks for sharing!!
Sara

 
At Tuesday, April 21, 2009 , Blogger xinex said...

Hi Susan, it will be very hard to decide which one you should keep. They are all so pretty. Have you decided yet?..Christine

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Jo said...

Beautiful knives! I love the little bumblebee. Alas, no Marshall's store here. By the way, I looked at the company's website, and saw the price in euros...Yikes! Either I'm looking at the wrong product, or you definitely got a good deal!

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Shaam said...

That is so cool! I love the little bee! How funny that you went to Marshall's and there they were! Marshall's is so awesome!

All the best,
Allison

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Great post...I don't know which you should keep, I thought first the wood, but then I saw the bees...too hard of a call, if you ask me!!

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Chandy said...

I will definitely look them up! I love the craftsmanship behind each one! I will definitely ask where they would have the knives go from there!

Wow, thank you Susan!

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Tammy518 said...

What a great deal, Susan! I've got some of those knives in stainless, but paid $60 for them! I'd like to an additional set, so I'll have to check around our local stores and see if I can find some for a good deal like that.

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger KBeau said...

I vote for the pearl handle ones. They are so pretty. Great find.

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Suzann said...

Wonderful!
I really love the bumblebee.
I'm going to be right near Marshalls tonight. I must stop in. Maybe I will get lucky too.

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger "Blossom" said...

My favorite are the ones with the bumble bees.........so like your other flatware. Great find!
Blossom

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Tiffany said...

I bought one of these bread knives on clearance at TJ Maxx a while back, too, and I love it! Thank you for all the information!

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Those are great knives! I love the pearl handled ones. In fact, the next time I am near a Marshalls I am going to look for them!

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger SmilingSally said...

I want to be on your Christmas list!

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger The Raggedy Girl said...

What a great story and I love the little bumble bees on the knives, too cute!

Roberta Anne, the Raggedy Girl

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Glenda/MidSouth said...

You got a great buy on them. I have not been to a Marshall's in so long - need to go. Thanks for sharing the history of how they were made.
Glenda

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Gypsy aka Tam said...

Oh Susan what a great post for 'Three Or More' and those knife sets are awesome. I love the little bumblebee and will stop at Marshalls during my lunchbreak to see if they have them. You know if you continue to 'enable' me I may get in trouble...LOL
Have a great day,
Tam

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Decor To Adore said...

ah, I just used my bone handled knives last night. A great Marshall's find. They are indeed wonderful.

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger ~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

What a great post about the handmade knives. I had never heard of them either but now I know better. They are lovely!
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Susan,
I just had to write and let you know...I FOUND THE KNIVES!!! TWO SETS!!! They didn't have the mother of pearl:(...they had the wood and stainless:). I am so excited!!! This never seems to work out for me...until now!!!

Thank you so much for the info on your post...it's my lucky day!!!

I hope you are having a wonderful day!!!
XOXO
Cathy

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I like all three. I guess the solution would be to think of which of your favourite dinner settings would use the knife, and pick one from there. Or keep all three:)

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Blogger Kim said...

Susan, leave it to you to make a great post out of how knives are made!! I enjoyed that history lesson! Also LOVE your new knives - even more so after seeing those little bees on them. Keep the stainless.
Kim

 
At Wednesday, April 22, 2009 , Anonymous Lindsay @ Peacock Blue said...

That photo of the men is so interesting!

 
At Friday, April 24, 2009 , Blogger As Simply As We Can said...

Oh, I have a set of these knives. A set of six and each handle is a different color. I've always loved the little bee on them. I knew that they were nice, but I never knew exactly what they were much less the history behind them. Thanks so much for sharing! These are good quality and I've used them daily for almost two years now and have not had one problem with them. Enjoy your new set!

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home