This Page

has been moved to new address

Seashell Crafts for Your Nautical Beach House Decor
Between Naps on the Porch: Seashell Crafts for Your Nautical Beach House Decor

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

May 15, 2012

Seashell Crafts for Your Nautical Beach House Decor

I'm convinced seashells are just about the most fun, least expensive decorating accessory you'll ever find for the summer house.  Recently, I was shopping in Marshalls and came across this glass container for just $5.99.  I loved the natural woven design surrounding it, especially its nice, aged "drift-wood" look.

I had some inexpensive shells from Big Lots ($3) and decided to embellish it just a bit.  I barely used any of the shells...lots left over for another seashell craft some day.



This was a fun little project to do while watching Mapp and Lucia on Netflix.  Have you ever seen that old series?  I got hooked and watched both seasons.  I had to watch to see what ensemble Georgie would wear next.  That man has style!  He dressed better than the women in the show.  Ha!

To add a little seashell embellishment to our container, I snipped off about 4-5 inches of some 3-ply jute yarn purchased from Hobby Lobby for this previous seashell bottle craft.  I separated out the three strands since I wanted my jute thread nice and skinny.

I tied each thread around the top half of a shell.  Initially I thought I'd drill a teeny hole through the top of the shells as I did for the bottle craft project, but the shape of the shell worked perfectly for this craft, so there wasn't any need to break out the drill.



Next, I randomly tied the shells to the outside of the container, snipping off most of the excess jute thread.  I left a little of the ends of the thread visible because I liked how that looked.  You can snip it off down to the knot if you prefer a cleaner look.



Nighttime on the porch...



Getting darker now...hear those night bugs singing?  I think I saw a lightning bug...did you see it?

Seashell Craft for Nautical Beach House Decorating


An easy way to bring a little summer beach fun to your home.

Seashell Craft for Nautical Beach House Decorating


Happy Summer!

Seashell Craft for Nautical Beach House Decorating


Love seashell crafts?  Here's a quick tutorial for making seashell chargers for summer dining.

Seashell Craft for Nautical Beach House Decorating

Speaking of tutorials...last night I added a new category heading to the top of BNOTP called, Tutorials.  Hope it makes finding some of the previous craft and decorating tutorials a bit easier.    Pssst...there's also a "search" box on the right sidebar that comes in handy when searching for a past post.

I'm linking this tutorial to Home Stories A 2 Z Tutorials & Tips Link Party.  Thanks Beth!

Labels: , , ,

39 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Anonymous Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Another Mapp and Lucia fan here. Thanks for the reminder, I need to pull out the old DVDs and watch the series again. I love this shell light. I'm considering a coastal theme for the guest room, so this idea was most welcome.

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Your shell craft is adorable! Thanks for sharing....Love the shells hanging with twine.

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Glenda/MidSouth said...

I really like it a lot! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I have not been to Big Lots in some time - may need to check them out.

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Creations By Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing. Adorable craft project. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

I loved it before, but you made it look so much better. love it!!!

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

What a funny show! I have a weird sense of humor so it was right up my alley. lol I was disappointed when I came to the last episode. Have you read the books on which is was based?

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks! I'm really into shells this summer. I have a feeling there will be a few more seashell crafts before summer's end. :)

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Glenda, they have in a lot of fun summer/shell things this year.

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks! Definitely my favorite kind of craft project...easy and inexpensive.

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

Cute! I love having something to do while I watch TV (other than fold laundry...).

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

What a great idea adding the shells Susan. Love it's new look!

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Becca Bertotti said...

What a fun, fun idea ... just might have to borrow! Thank you!

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

You are so danged clever, Susan.

Seriously? How do you come up with such great ideas all the time?

This looks amazing, just love it.

WELL DONE!!

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Pamela Gordon said...

This is a sweet idea Susan. Thanks for sharing! Pamela

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very clever and it looks wonderful lit at night.

Gretchen

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Barbara said...

Perfect for my pool area. Thanks for your wonderful ideas.

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Barbara said...

Perfect for my pool area. Thanks for all of your wonderful ideas.

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Sonny G said...

wow I LOVE that.. Susan,, the big companies are gonna be copying that and we can say we saw it here first.. you have Witnesses:)

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Diane said...

How do you do it all? Your brain must be "buzzing" all of the time! You should be designing for some company - this was a very creative project. Fabulous!

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Susan,
This candle holder is so delicate and pretty....I LOVE it.
Have a good week
God Bless
Barb from Australia

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger martinealison said...

Une création ravissante et tellement estivale... Bravo et merci de nous partager vos idées.
gros bisous

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Jane Gianarelli said...

Cute & simple, that's how it should be. Thanks!

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Jojo said...

Love, love love the candle cover!

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Prairie Scraps said...

What a cute idea! I love it and plan to look around for similar things to do with shells for sure!

 
At Tuesday, May 15, 2012 , Blogger Tardevil said...

I think I bought that same candleholder. Love the aqua shells. Just thought I would mention that Big Lots sells jute/twine, too, back in what I call 'the men's section', near the car stuff, tools, etc. Now you're all ready for a summer party! ;o)

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

You have the best ideas, Susan! Love those aqua colored shells and they look so good on your candle holder.

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Ha! I know whatchamean! :)

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks!

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Please do, Becca! Then share a pic with me so I can see. :)

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Awww, thanks Michele! You are a sweetie!

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Pamela!

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Barbara!

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

lol Diane, I would LOVE that job! :)

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Awww, thanks Martinealison!

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

That's good to know, Penny! Never thought to look there!

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger Arabella said...

It looks fabulous, Susan - great idea!

Marie
xoxo

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger coastal femme said...

Susan,

Adorable crafts...love these!

 
At Friday, May 18, 2012 , Blogger Haworth said...

That's such a lovely idea, Susan, and it looks so pretty at night as well as during the day. You have such a gift for seeing a simple item and being able to imagine how to make it prettier. Take care.

 
At Sunday, May 20, 2012 , Blogger http://jackieinsurrey.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

It was lovely before the shells but adding the shells is wonderful and I love it at night. I am not very creative but I think I might even manage something like that, if I had the time!! Enjoy the rest of the weekend, love Jackie in Surrey, UK.x

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home