This Page

has been moved to new address

The New iPad, My Favorite Apps & the Brahmin iPad Bag
Between Naps on the Porch: The New iPad, My Favorite Apps & the Brahmin iPad Bag

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

May 12, 2012

The New iPad, My Favorite Apps & the Brahmin iPad Bag

Well I did it.  I bought my very first ever, Apple product.  The Apple computer couldn't lure me over.  The iPhone didn't pull me in.  But when we bought our son an iPad for Christmas and the following day helped him shop for a cover, I came down with a serious case of iPad fever.  I did consider some of the  other notebooks/android tablets available on the market, but the cellular plans for those seemed high and I read more Apps have been created for the iPad than for the android systems.  I'm sure that is changing every day, though.

Too many choices can sometimes be a bear and Apple gives you 6 choices with the iPad, 7 if you count color.  After deciding on white, and the storage size (32 GB) I still had to decide whether I wanted it to have just WiFi capabilitly or WiFi + Cellular.

The New iPad & My Favorite Apps


I totally didn't think I needed cellular service on an iPad since I figured I'd just use it here in the house where I have wireless Internet service.  But since it didn't cost that terribly much more for the Wifi + Cellular iPad, I went with that model for the rare times I travel or go on vacation.  Little did I know how much I would be using that feature.

Apple Store

One of the things I really like about the cellular plan is you can activate it for just the month you need it, then cancel it.  There's no contract or plan to get locked into.  It's $20 a month for a basic plan which gives you a pretty decent amount of usage.  I'm really glad I went with the "WiFi + Cellular iPad because I use it way more than I ever dreamed...as in almost every. single. day!

I was so wrong about how I thought I'd use this device.  I thought I would use it to check on BNOTP or moderate comments when out running errands or away for the day.  Instead, my iPad has become almost as valuable to me as my cell phone.  It goes everywhere I go.

Recently, I was headed to a friend's home for a day of fun.  I got stuck behind a major traffic jam on the Atlanta perimeter.  I had forgotten my cell phone at home, something I never do.  I kept thinking, if I just had my cell I could call my friend, get her street address, plug it into my GPS, exit the interstate and let the GPS take me to her home via back roads.  Though I knew the way to her home via the perimeter, I couldn't remember her street name for the GPS.   While we sat at a dead standstill for a long time, I brought up Goggle on the iPad, then the site "anywhodotcom" and immediately found my friend's address.  The jam cleared before I could get to an exit and get off the interstate, but the iPad would have saved me if it hadn't.

Image from Google Images

This past weekend I was in a local nursery looking for a plant for the porch.  I was trying to describe the "lighting" situation when it dawned on me I could show the nice associate exactly where it would be going.  It only took a matter of seconds to pull up the porch on BNOTP and he confirmed the fern he was recommending would do fine.



A couple of weeks ago, I attend an Atlanta Bloggers meeting and realized I didn't have a pen in my purse for taking notes.  No problem, I just opened up my "Notes" app on the iPad and jotted down all the websites and points I wanted to remember from the meeting.



Yesterday I used it to catch up on the news, reply to a few emails, read a blog or two and moderate comments while waiting in my eye doctor's office.  I could go on forever sharing all the practical ways I use this device, but today I wanted to show you the fun stuff...the ways I never dreamed of using it prior to buying it.


Here's how my iPad home screen looks, except I recently changed the wallpaper to something else...more on that in a second.  I keep a Favicon to BNOTP and Google along the top of the main home screen since I use those frequently.  Along the bottom I've created folders where I store all my apps.  You can only have six (6) folders along one edge and since I don't like having folders all over the home page, I managed to fit all the apps I've downloaded into six category folders: Art & Photography, Entertainment, Organizer, Reference, Shopping and Social.  Each of the tiny boxes you see inside those Category Icons represents an app.  The red "1" just indicates a new email has arrived..



My obsession with a clean home screen for my iPad would make more sense if you saw the home screen for my desk computer.  It's completely blank except for this picture I took when touring the Isle of Hope near Savannah, Georgia.



I'm the same way about my cell phone home page.  It's always Christmastime on my cell phone.  The screen looks exactly like this without any visible icons, unless you swipe to the left or to the right.  I love a clean home screen showing just a beautiful picture.

Photo from Pottery Barn


So what's behind all those category icons along the bottom edge?  If you click on the "Art & Photography" icon, you'll find favicons for several art apps and/or sites with inspiring pictures.



The "Entertainment" icon is where I store a couple of games and some other "entertainment" type programs.  No, I haven't downloaded "Angry Birds" yet.  Ha!  The "Sleep Sounds" app isn't really entertainment exactly, but it didn't fit anywhere else either.  I guess it could go under "Organizer" since it's a "tool" of sorts.



The "Organizer" category icon is where I store apps that keep me organized.  Remember the BNOTP icon you saw at the top of the home screen?  I used the "Touch Icon" app you see below to create that custom icon.



This is also where I store the "Reminders" app where you'll usually find an ongoing grocery list.  No chance of forgetting my grocery list at home because the iPad goes everywhere I do.



The "Reference" folder holds applications I refer to for information.  I downloaded the Wildflower app before I realized there was one single app with all four Audubon apps: Birding, Mammals, Wildflowers and Trees.  Wish I could give it away since I no longer need it.



This Audubon app is the most expensive app I've downloaded ($14.99) but totally worth it.  Many apps are free or just .99 cents.



Wish I'd had the iPad on all those past North Georgia hikes when I wanted to identify the trees and wildflowers we were seeing.



You can choose so many ways to narrow down your search when you're trying to identify something.  For trees, I like starting with the shape.



Oh, how I wish I'd had an iPad on my birding trip to Jekyll Island, HERE.  The "Peterson Birds of North America" may be my favorite app of all (so far).  You just tap on the picture of the bird you wish to know more about.  You can even tap and hear the song of that particular bird.  They are real recordings, too; you can hear other nature sounds in the background.  You can also hear the birds "song" with the Audubon "Birds" app.  Check out the "Peterson Feeder Birds of North America"...another great app.



Max especially enjoys the song feature of the bird apps! ;)



The "Shopping" category folder holds my fave places to shop for bargains and of course the favicon for the App Store itself.



And the "Social" icon holds all the favicons for the various social apps I occasionally need to access while away from home.



Two more apps I'm in love with are the apps "Art" and "Art Authority."  Art Authority costs more than Art and I am enjoying it more.



I'm finding you get what you pay for (for the most part) when it comes to app shopping, but there are some really great free and .99 cent apps, too.  I think "Art" was just .99 cents if I'm remembering correctly.  



I couldn't believe how many paintings were available for viewing by one of my fave Impressionist artist, Claude Monet.  Paintings can be enlarged to fill the screen on the iPad for a better view.  The latest iPad (3rd generation) has amazing screen resolution...way better than the computer monitors I use everyday.



I changed my home screen to this painting, one of my favorites by Monet.



The last app I have to share has me seeing stars.  In fact, you might say I'm just over the moon about it.  (har, har, har) It's called "Star Walk" and it contains so much wonderful information, there's no way I can even begin to share it all in this post.

As you view the screen, the planets are turning and the sun is radiating out.  It feels so real and it is truly captivating.  I haven't had a chance to really play with this app, but I think the planets showing on the home screen are those viewable in the night sky for your area at that very moment.  So hard to photograph the screens...they are much prettier in person than I can show here.



You can lift the iPad up over your head any time of the day and wherever you aim it, the constellations in that section of the sky appear on the iPad.  You aren't going to believe how many satellites are up there...all kinds for all purposes.   I got soooo excited when I read about this app.  Once I downloaded it, it did not disappoint.  This one is $4.99.



Since I'm totally addicted, in love, enjoying the iPad, I bought a purse designed for carrying it.  It's been about 8 years since I bought a purse so since I only buy a new purse every gazillion years or so, I usually buy a nice one I know will last.  This is the Theo purse/bag by Brahmin.  I bought mine at the Brahmin store in Lenox Mall (Atlanta) when they were having a "$100 off" sale!  I've never seen Brahmin on sale, ever...so I was thrilled to catch a good sale.
Brahmin Website

If you have an iPad and you're looking for a purse in which to carry it, I can definitely recommend this one.  (In case you're wondering, I'm not being paid or rewarded in any way for any of the products mentioned in this post...nada...nothing.)

It comes in a bunch of different colors.


There's a place for your pen, phone and ID/credit cards.



See the open zipper pocket there across the back?



That's where Mr. iPad lives.  It's padded for a little extra protection.  I also purchased one of the smart covers that automatically shuts the iPad off when not in use.  It and the iPad fit nicely in this bag.



There's a small pocket up front that's just right for business cards or car keys.



So, that's the skinny on Mr. iPad and how I'm using it thus far.  If you don't have an iPad, are you thinking of getting one in the future?  BTW, I hear the price has come down a good bit on the iPad 2 and it isn't that different from the current generation.

Now, I want to know, if you have an iPad or iPhone, what are your favorite apps?  Do you have the "Find my Car" app that helps you locate your car when you've lost it in the IKEA parking lot?  Not that I've ever known anyone who has done that.  (whistles, looks at sky, changes subject)

What's your favorite App?

Labels: , , ,

75 Comments:

At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

WOW. Well I will say this: every single person I know who has one loves it.

I have been dragging my feet - and my daughter even WORKED for Apple for years!

I may have to look into this. Maybe. If anyone can convince me it is you, though, Susan!

: - )

Have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

I just recently bought the iPad 2 32 gb with the built in cellular, I love it!! My fav app is the Apple office through Hp. It's great for writing documents and taking notes, it's a wonderful little tool. I actually write all my blog post's on it. I'm defintaly addicted, and I'm not one to rush out and buy the latest apple product but I do love my iPad!! ;)

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Toni said...

Good morning Susan - Great review on the iPad. I have kind of "stolen" my husbands! Love, love, love it. I was out of town taking care of my sick Mom a couple of months ago, and it was so handy. I do not pay for service, but the hospital had free WiFi. Not only did I use it to research medical issues, but was also able to entertain Mom during those long, boring hours. You could of even found my at McDonalds a few times using their WiFi!! Hubby wants his back, so we are off to get one for me today! I love my iPhone, but so much easier to search on the iPad.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Diane said...

Susan, I do have a n IPad and I take it with me almost everywhere. I, too, have the cellular plan, which really comes in handy for me. We have a fairly new condo in Florida and we have not turned on internet service yet. The only problem that I have is that I deleted my Easter blog twice (!) trying to edit it. My IPad is the original one, I believe, and when I try to touch just "edit", everything deletes! Oh, I thought about throwing the IPad into the ocean. Does your new one work better? I thought I could not blog on it, because Apple does not allow "Flash" on the IPad. So glad your love yours!!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger mzzbev said...

Very informative. I need all the info I can get as my daughter just gave me her old one. Although it doesn't have all the features your new one does I know what you mean about taking it everywhere you go, even to bed ;). I did buy the May issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine and had so much fun with. Have a great weekend and thx for sharing. Maybe you can consider doing this on a monthly or maybe even a weekly basis :)

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

Susan, you might want to check out the ShopShop app. I love using it for my grocery and shopping lists because I can set up a tab for different stores. It remembers the items in a list so you don't have to retype the normal things you buy all the time. It's a free app and I really like. Also, if you shop at JoAnn's, they have an app that loads the coupons on your phone. The stores will let you use the phone coupons and the printed ones, so you can save some extra money with the app.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger DearHelenHartman said...

It's on my list as 'next big purchase'. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Sandy said...

I've had the iPhone and iPad for the past
two years and now would be totally lost
without them both.. I can Face Time my
kids in Guam, Alaska and sis in Saudi.
That in it's self is a blessing.
I LOVE those little toys and know how
your feeling! As for my PC and Laptop, I
only use them to blog and store my
photos....
Have fun with it!!
Sandy

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Michele, you would love it! Be a great Mother's Day gift. :)

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Oh, I def need to check that one out. Thanks for the tip!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

So sorry your Mom was sick, Toni. I hope she is much better now! Glad you had your iPad with you. I know it must have really helped pass those long hours. Happy Mother's Day to you and your Mom!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger southerninspiration said...

I love mine, too. I use the Maps feature all the time, like a GPS. I also love an app called The Cupcake Gallery.......fun scrapbook paper looking apps for saving as home screens. I don't like a really busy home screen photo. Also, I didn't know you could put all your folders on the bottom, so thanks. I use mine all the time for Words with Friends, and for checking Facebook while I'm out and about. I'm sure I could use it for so many more things....hopefully those will come!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger southerninspiration said...

YES!! Facetime is my favorite...I can see the grandbabies as often as I want!!!
Not the same as in person, but sure beats NOT seeing them!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Diane, I would have been fit to be tied. I haven't tried editing a post on it and I don't think I will after hearing your experience. Yikes! Thanks for the warning. Maybe I'll create a fake post with just a few words and photo to try it out. Yup, the lack of flash does bug me sometimes. Wish it had that!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

We will definitely have to do this again...thanks!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

That sounds way better than just making my list. Thanks for sharing it...def checking it out!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Fun! I love that! Something tells me that feature will come in handy one day. :)

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

You'll love it, Helen!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Gwen said...

I have the Ipad2 and just can't seem to find out how to add my Google reader to it so I can read blogs. Any help would be appreciated.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Anonymous Tina said...

have you already come across the cat toys app? My cat loves it

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the explanations! My eyes glaze over when my daughter starts whipping through a younger person's explanation of the apps. Now I think I'm interested in an Ipad!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Kathleen said...

I have an ipad, and although I enjoy it there are several things that annoy me!
Is it me, I don't know, but I can't edit things on my blog. It will only show the top part when you go to the edit mode??

The glare is unbelievable. There is no way you can use it in the sun. Even in the den, I have to move away from the window!

And it doesn't let you download Adobe which you need to read so many of the ads I want to see. I have to go to my computer for them.


I have the TV app which I like, I can watch QVC out on the porch, lol!

Enjoy yours! Mine was a gift from my son, I know it was over 1000 with the features he got for me. I do like being able to use it away from home. I pay 14.99 a month for the service.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Kathy Walker said...

Wow! I never thought that I needed one....until I read your post. It is amazing...I had no idea the type of apps that were available. I may have to do some rethinking about the iPad. Thank you so much for all of the information. It was so informative and helpful.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger eleven-o-one said...

I don't have an IPad yet but I think tomorrow I WILL! I asked for one for Mother's day. I do have a smart phone already and my favorite apps are the Kindle app (my kids have loaded it on their IPods, too). It will sync up with your Kindle. Plus, I loaded my Bible on it so it goes EVERYWHERE I go. I also love the Yardsale Finder app. I'll put both of these on my IPAD, too.

I've asked for just the WiFi version because using my smart phone, I can create a wifi hot spot and then connect to the internet through my phone. Or, you could "tether" to you cell phone using a hard wire. I can't wait to get it. Thanks for the post.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Glenda said...

Susan, I'm an AppAholic, but the one I use most is the MyRadar app, and I think it was free - if not I wouldn't have paid more than 99 cents. We have a summer business at the coast where weather is the determining factor on whether we open or close. This app is like having your own meteorologist in you pocket. The radar is live and you can tell if a storm is getting ready to pop up and blow your tent away - which it did quite a few times before MyRadar came to our rescue. The satellite follows you everywhere you go - even driving down the road. You can pull up local radar or touch and drag the screen to see whether a storm is coming your way and also the severity of the storm.

We travel a lot and the GasBuddy app shows us where the cheapest gas is and even gives you directions to the station.

Love, Love Love my Ipad.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Diane said...

Let me know, if you have better luck than I!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I'll remember that for the future. :)

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Gwen, I'm not sure either. I use Feed Demon for that, but not on the iPad, yet. I'm still figuring it all out, too.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Tina, hadn't seen that one...will check it out. :)

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I can't bring up my blog to edit it either...not sure why. The glare doesn't bother me...I love the resolution. lol about QVC.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kate, I was surprised, too. I'm sure there are bunches more great ones out there since there are thousands and thousands of app available and more being made every day.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I read about creating a wifi hot spot and about tethering, but since I'm using the cellular service pretty much daily and sometimes multiple times a day when I'm away from home, I'm glad I went with the cellular. Had no idea I'd use it so much!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Glenda, I could become an AppAholic! lol So much fun! I'm going to check out the MyRadar app...sounds like a good one to have available! Thanks for sharing it and GasBuddy!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I want one, I want one, I want one! My sister-in-law just got one for Mother's Day. I will show her your post. And I'm like you. When I buy a purse, I buy a NICE one! Yours is awesome! My niece's husband developed a weather app. Here's a link to a post I did about it.
http://cottageatthecrossroads.com/a-weather-app-that-really-works/
His app is getting great reviews.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

So funny you posted this today. Just last night I told my hubby that after working with a client and seeing how useful her iPad was, I might have to reconsider. LOVE my iPhone (and my iMac and hubby's MacAir), so I may be in the market for an iPad after all. Thanks for the review! Happy Mother's Day.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

I was waiting for the IPad 3 to be released before I purchased, but I haven't gotten it yet. I am confused by the cellular thing. So with WiFi, I know I can use it at home but the cellular plan you're talking about is similar to what you would have to buy if you have an IPhone, right, where you can use it anywhere? How is the price determined with that option--by how often you use it or what?

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an Apple fan and have had the iPhone and iPad for years and if I lost one, it would be like losing an arm. I do everything on the iPad, even write my blogs. On the rare occasion I need to get on hubby's laptop, I find myself forgetting how to use it. I love some of the photography apps and one of my favorites is Juxtaposer, I don't remember if it was free but if not is wasn't more than a few dollars. It allows you to impose one picture into another one and I use it a lot for my grandkids. I have been able to take, for example a picture of a great white shark with it's mouth open and put a picture of the kids in the mouth and print it onto a transfer to iron onto a T shirt. My other favorite app is the Kindle app. Not only can you buy books but there are a lot of free books available on Kindle. I have also been told that you can get books from your local library through Kindle. Glad to see you not only got yourself the iPad but that you are enjoying it.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger ReEducator said...

Love my iPad and iPhone I now travel with it exclusively I do my presentations using keynote and use keynote remote on my iPhone as the remote. I use Feedler to get my google reader feeds like BNOTP. BTW the wat you take screen shots on you iPad is hold down the home button and the sleep/wake button it he screen will flash white and the picture will be saved in the camera roll. For everyone who wants to know how to do things on their iPad the classes at the Apple store as well as the genius bar are great. Happy Mother's Day

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Can't wait to check it out, Jane! I love Brahmin purses. They are my fave for sure.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Susan, you'll love it!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

The wifi version lets it work wherever an open wifi is available...like in my home, or in Starbucks or hospitals or McDonalds, etc... But I had heard that sometimes the wifi can be really slow in some places from everyone piling onto it. Patient, I'm not. So I decided to buy the iPad that will let you have your own cellular data plan. You have to decide if you want AT&T or Verizon...it's built into the iPad so you buy the one that is designed for the company you wish to use. I chose the Verizon iPad. Then you just sign up for the cellular data plan the month you want it and cancel when you no longer want it. You can do it on the iPad...don't have to call them. I am enjoying it so much I'm keeping it full time. You can't go over your time, so there are no overage charges...you just renew if you use up your allotted data for the month and want more. I haven't had to do that, yet. There are so many places that do not offer wifi or it could be super slow so I like knowing I can get online any place Verizon exists and I won't be dependent on the wifi that's there. That's my crude explanation or the way I understand it. Someone else may be able to explain it a bit better.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

So it is possible to create your blog posts on there...interesting! I haven't tried that. I know you can buy an external keyboard for it. That could be handy while traveling.

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

You'll love it...very user friendly!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Oh, thanks for this great info...will check out Feedler. My son told me a lot of lawyers use them for presentations, too. Amazing your iPhone can become the remote!

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Tina, Max LOVES this app. Hysterical! I can't get him off my iPad. lol The spider is totally creeping me out! ;)

 
At Saturday, May 12, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

For info on RSS readers on the iPad, check this out...
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-free-rss-readers-ipad/
...or try NetNewsreader at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/netnewswire-for-ipad/id363704172?mt=8

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger tootles said...

LoVe my I phone and IPad 2 !! Fave apps are walgreens - can print all the pics you take with either device,( at the store of your choice - super easy to use) as well as scan your RX for instant refill.
Caring bridge and for fun and to ward off Alzheimer's - where's Waldo! They say those type of games are good for your brain!
Oh and lose it - keeps track of food and exercise etc... Easy to scan barcodes - use my phone for that more than I pad. have fun!

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger Phyllis @Around the House said...

Oh susan you have come around...once you get the hang of the ipad which michael absolutely adores, next will come the iphone which WE LOVE LOVE,,,Michael says I really have never loved a phone...but I love this phone...he said he can run his entire business with both and once you run the ipad the iphone is a cinch...I have an app that id a flash light,,,an app on how to verbally pronounce any word...many many apps that are so fun plus the calendar and I love Siri who lives in the phone...I ask her what she looked like and she said "shiney" lol phyllis

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger Maria Elena said...

Susan, Happy Mother's Day! You don't know how happy I was to see your post. Such great information! My husband just surprised me today with an iPad! I am so excited! I can't wait to learn how to use it!

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger Peg said...

I love mine, since dh bought me mine he has also bought one, my daughter and grandson have also been drawn in lol. We all enjoy them, the facetime comes in handy when dh is away we can still see each other when chatting. My only complaint was not being able to update my blog on it or add photos until Sue at www.simplypiecefulquilting.com kindly introduced me to the blogpress app. It's great you can write, edit and add photos in it then post or save to your blog.

Regarding Adobe the reason you have problems there is because some time ago Apple & they 'fell out' so Apple will not allow their products! Seems very childish to me, I think if you google it you can read about it.

I have several favourite apps, kindle, this is great because whatever I'm reading on my kindle I can download to my ipad and when I go to read the same book on my ipad a little box comes up asking me if I want to go to the same page as I am on the kindle. A bit spooky the first time it happened lol, I didn't do anything to get that it just happened. Blog press is a good one, Photobucket for quick uploading to my album, Secret Diary which has a password on it, Youtube on which I watch quilting tutorials and I thoroughly enjoy my Audible app which keeps my audio books organised. I also use the TV apps to keep up with programmes I've missed.

I have the 32g with wifi, I have an iphone 4 which I also love and with my 'package' I get free all you can eat internet through personal hotspot. This work great for me for when I'm out and about and also where we have our holiday home the reception for 3 network is great and is 100%.

Thanks for the heads up for Find my car I've just downloaded it because I'm terrible for forgetting where I've left it LOL.

I'm not a tech master mind and know there's a lot more potential with ipad, I usually learn things through my 20yr old grandson who's a whiz on his. I have a case on mine which also serves as a stand, would like a handbag/purse which I could include it in but haven't seen one of those on sale here in the UK. The post is great, dh favourite app is also the Star walk especially when we're down here at our HH, the sky isn't corrupted by many street lamps so the stars are amazing.
May you all enjoy your Mother's Day weekend we had ours in March here.

Peg x

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Peg, thanks for all these awesome tips! I can't way to try some of the apps you mentioned! I downloaded Cat Toys last night and Max loved it. ;) You'll have to let me know how you like, Find my Car. I haven't downloaded it yet, thought I was tempted. :)

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger Carollynn @ www.designGumbo.net said...

Flipboard will allow you to connect to your Google reader, plus Facebook, Twitter and a whole bunch of other online media.

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger Ann said...

I bought my ipad in Singapore on our way back from our holiday in Australia last December so I saved a couple of hundred pounds buying it there, i love my ipad. :-)
The latest one came out after we were home, but I don't mind i still enjoy using mine.

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

Have had my IPad 2 since they came out last year! Use it for everything. Flipboard is a great app along with Splashtop which allows you to access your laptop or PF from anywhere. Wouldn't trade it for anything! Enjoy and have a wonderful Mother's Day!

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Anonymous Linda said...

Thanks for sharing! I love my iPad too!!! I have the first one and use it all the time. Just thought I would add some things to your list. Pandora for music. I have the Bose Sound Link. It is great. You can stream music to it from your iPad, wirelessly. If you like to listen to the radio, iHeart and Tunein are good apps. For monitoring traffic I use Beatthetraffic app. It is very good. You can even see the Trimarc camera views. The flashlight app is great, there are several. Shazam, is an app that you activate to get the name of a song you might hear that you don't know the name. Vocre translates for you. IHandy Level, you will,always be prepared. And WhatThe Font app. Might be useful for you. Thanks for sharing, I enjoy your posts!

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger Kathleen said...

Peg, i typed in the site I wanted to google and the site came up but still said you need Adobe. i was hoping your tip would work, but no go.
I know the reason, but it is still very annoying and limits the sites you can access. Maybe if more users complained they would make the changes. For what it costs, they should!

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger jgrimsley said...

I love Star Walk! My son loves to check out the picture of the day, and it has come in handy camping. My brother uses Star Walk and the Audubon app for his job. And you don't have the Craigslist app???

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Linda, thanks for all these suggestions! I'll check 'em out!

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks, Shirley...Hope you had a great Mother's Day!

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

That is so funny about Siri saying she is shiny...too cute! I prob would love it.

 
At Monday, May 14, 2012 , Blogger Atticmag said...

Susan & all - Have you used our iPad to do admin in your blog dashboard, update comments, delete spam -- that sort of thing? Does it work for that? Also, have you used it to leave comments on other blogs? Does it have a USB port or must you save what you save to the hard drive?

I'm trying to decide whether I'd use it enough to justify. I have a great little netbook that lets me post to my blog plus a super smart android phone that overlaps the iPad and has flash, voice and turn-by-turn GPS.

I worry I'd spend too much time playing solitare on the ipad and not get anything else done!!

 
At Monday, May 14, 2012 , Blogger Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

We bought the ipad 2 last year and I still have not used it much. Looks like I need to figure it out. I usually only use it when we travel and have only looked at blogs and my email. I don't know how to do a blog post on it because it comes up in html. I tried to update a blog post while out of town and it got deleted. I am going to have to get with it!

 
At Monday, May 14, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have an iPad, but I'd get one if I had that gorgeous Brahmin carrying case! I love Brahmins and refuse to ever part with mine which my parents bought me years ago. You don't see them often, so now I'm on a search for that carrying case (even without the iPad :) ). Btw, I adore your blog and check in almost daily to see what you're up to. Thank you for the gorgeous tablescape inspirations (and bee pillow which I ordered after seeing yours!). Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day!

 
At Monday, May 14, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kim, I'm not sure about that either, but some apps were mentioned in the comments that sound like they will help with that. I'll do a follow up post listing all the apps everyone recommended sometime soon. Would be great to be able to use it for blogging when traveling, too.

 
At Monday, May 14, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I'm a big time Brahmin fan, too. I've carried the same Brahmin bag for so many years, I had just about worn it out. lol You can usually find them in Dillards, Macy's and some Belks. I bought the Theo iPad bag at the actual Brahmin store in Lenox Mall in Atlanta. Not sure how many stores Brahmin has across the U.S. so probably easier to find it at the department stores mentioned here.

 
At Monday, May 14, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I have used it a lot to moderate comments but not for creating a post, yet. I'll do a follow up post soon though and it will include the programs folks have emailed or left in comments that are supposed to be great for blogging with iPad. I don't think I would buy one just for blogging, but I am loving it!

 
At Monday, May 14, 2012 , Blogger Scribbler said...

I am so glad to read this! Max's expression is priceless.

I am getting the husband one for his birthday. At the rate they are issued, there may be four or five new models before July 19!

Thanks for the information re getting the full enchilada. We were actually thinking it would be great to have since we do not have GPS in the car itself. (Yes, we are a little behind the times)

This looks like an addictive little gadget!

 
At Monday, May 14, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Susan! I think Macy's out here carried them(that's where my mom would get them), but mine doesn't seem to carry many these days. I'll have to see if there's a Brahmin in the area (or within a 100 mile radius! :) ).Thanks!

 
At Monday, May 14, 2012 , Blogger Atticmag said...

I don't use blogspot. I'm on a wordpress platform. Turns out I can edit my blog from my phone -- another overlap.

Blogsy appears to be the CNET rec for ipad bloggers. http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20099956-285/blogging-on-the-ipad-how-to-use-blogsy/?tag=mncol;txt

though it's a paid app. Certainly is getting more appealing though, at least for me, not to the level of "need." Hmmm.

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2012 , Blogger corners of my life said...

Wow this is the first time an IPad has tempted me. Thanks for the tutorial!

 
At Thursday, May 17, 2012 , Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE my iPad. Although, mine's an older model with no outside internet. I have to be at home to browse the web. Really really wish I had that feature. Mine goes absolutely everywhere with me. Hope you enjoy yours thouroughly! I sure do.

 
At Friday, May 18, 2012 , Blogger Falaje said...

I couldn't read through all these comments, and I have way too many favorite apps to mention...but one app you should get is Find My Phone. It works for the iPad as well and if yours is ever stolen, you can log on with any iPhone or iPad Touch using your apple ID and it will find your iPad!!! It's a great security device, especially since you take yours out of the home. I have the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4s and it's on both of them!

 
At Friday, May 18, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I downloaded something called "Find my iPad" about a week ago. Wonder if that's the same App? I'd pretty much forgotten I'd even downloaded it until I read your comment. I sure hope I never need it.

 
At Tuesday, May 22, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

two hints -for the iphone you have to turn on something in Settings so that your phone is "findable" (settings - Location Services (ON) - Find my iPhone(ON) ) probably the same on the iPad. You can also access the find my iPhone from a computer or someone else's device(since if you need to find it you obviously don't have yours) - comes in handy if you have misplaced it!

also - your shots of your ipad screen look like they were taken with a camera. on the iphone you can get a screen shot by pushing the power button and the home button at the same time - I assume the ipad is similar. gives you a perfect shot of your screen without having to worry about glare, etc

 
At Tuesday, May 22, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Wow, good to know! That definitely would have come in handy for this post! I do have the location thingy turned on I believe. I sure hope I never need the "find" service!
Thanks for the tips!

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home