This Page

has been moved to new address

San Francisco, Before the 1906 Earthquake and You are There: Amazing Video!
Between Naps on the Porch: San Francisco, Before the 1906 Earthquake and You are There: Amazing Video!

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Apr 23, 2011

San Francisco, Before the 1906 Earthquake and You are There: Amazing Video!

Imagine. Imagine for a moment you have been transported back 105 years, back to the year 1906. You're in San Francisco and you are riding in the front seat of a streetcar, right up the middle of Market Street. What you are about to see is not a movie set. It is real!


One week later virtually all the buildings on this street were reduced to rubble due to the 1906 Earthquake. This video just barely survived --it was mailed to NY the day before the quake occurred.

I was so amazed by what a free-for-all it was on the streets. Apparently, horses, carriages, wagons, bikes, cars and people went/walked wherever they wished! I'm sure with the addition of more cars, that changed pretty quickly. I loved seeing the uniform of the policeman with his nightstick...and the cute little newspaper boys, selling their papers on the street.

The streetcar in which you'll be riding is only going about 10 miles per hour. Prepare to be stunned...my mouth was gaping open the whole time! People have NO FEAR of cars or street cars. The reason they are all staring at the streetcar is because there's a guy on there cranking this "state-of-the-art" video camera...the likes of which they had probably never seen. Thank goodness he did because it's a fascinating bit of film.

Check out the clothing, the hats. I love the attire of the guy wearing the long overcoat that was slit way up the back and the breezes were whipping it around. We need to bring that look back. So dashing!

You can access this amazing video in full-screen size by clicking, HERE. Turn on your speakers because the video is set to music. I think they could have chosen a better song than the one they did. It should have been something from the period. Just my two cents. :)

Or, click below to watch it and then click on the four tiny arrows in the corner to enlarge it to full screen, if you like. I recommend watching it in full screen for the full effect of riding in the streetcar.



It's a surreal experience watching this video because you realize all the people you are seeing are long gone now. In fact, they have probably been gone 50+ years since the life expectancy was around 47-50 years back then.

Cars were newly available and even though it seems like there are a lot of cars in the video, it's the same 4 cars riding around and circling in front of the trolley. They were apparently asked to do that to add to the busy appearance of this already insanely busy street for the sake of this tape. OK, go watch now, I'll wait. :) Then come back to watch the one below that explains this fascinating piece of footage.


Watch this link AFTER you watch the one above:
You really need to watch the other link first, but after you watch the one above, click HERE to learn more about who made this video in 1906 and why. You'll also get to see how the street looked after the earthquake....it's unbelievable.

You'll find a 2005 version of this ride, HERE. It's a bit different. ;)

I'll be announcing the winners of the $100 Amex Giveaway and the copies of Gone with a Handsomer Man, real soon. There were 418 entries! Wow! It takes a while to count through all those...so hang tight. Michael and I will have the names of the winners, soon.

27 Comments:

At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Blogger Lori said...

How cool, thanks for sharing, I watched both the sixty minutes piece too! Happy Easter.

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan this is an amazing piece of footage!! I am amazed at how chaotic yet it seemed to work! I loved seeing all the different people, the police man, guy playing accordion etc. This is pure entertainment!

Have a blessed Easter!

Mary

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Blogger Donna said...

Susan,
I thoroughly enjoyed watching these videos. It was so strange, just like you say. Thanks for posting.
D

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Blogger Denise@alloverroses said...

Thanks for sharing this great video. I was born in San Francisco and lived in the bay area all my life. Love this city by the bay and how fun to see it back in the day! When I was little my mother didn't drive so we went everywhere on the streetcar. Funny to see how they drove all over the rode. lol So sad what happened to the city during that awful earthquake. I will never forget the 1989 quake during the World Series. The worst one I ever felt. Thank you again for sharing this. Happy Easter!
Denise

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks, Susan. This is fascinating! ~ Sarah

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Blogger Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow! Thanks for showing this. It is amazing/scary how the landscape can change within such a short period of time.
Hope you are enjoying your weekend.
Happy Easter!

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Blogger editor said...

Amazing! No traffic rules!

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow and my kids think I am really old. Very cool.

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Blogger megan said...

That was truly amazing. People never even looked both ways!! :)
That was fun Susan, thank you, it is always interesting to see old film and a wonder that it was still in good condition.

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Blogger Norma2 said...

Ahora llego a entender porqué Gaudí murió en 1926 atropellado por un tranvía

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Blogger Deanna said...

Susan, This was amazing and very interesting to watch. Fascinating film footage to see.

Appreciating you sharing this.

I enjoy History in the way.

Have a delightful Easter and God richly bless you!
d in Kansas on the Flint Hills

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing these. My husband and I both watched, fascinated. We both thoroughly enjoyed seeing this. The 60 minutes piece was interesting, too.
Thanks again,
Tammy

 
At Saturday, April 23, 2011 , Blogger Tracey S said...

Thanks for the post and all of the links. I have driven and walked down Market Street many times, and it was strange, yet familiar, to see the street so long ago.

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 , Blogger Patsy said...

Thanks for sharing this, it's cool to look at. I too am wondering how no one gets hit or run over with everyone going in all those directions at once. I saw that horse and buggy roll right in front of that car and the car didn't appear to even slow up but barely missed hitting the cart. Whew, I would not have had the nerves to drive back then. LOL

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 , Blogger FABBY'S LIVING said...

AMAZING! My hubby and me were fascinated watching this, wow! Thank you so much Susan, you always manage to post such unique things, we're so lucky to have you as a friend in blog land to see all the great things you share! Awesome!
Happy Easter for you and your son.
FABBY

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 , Blogger martinealison said...

Très intéressant... Je vous souhaite de joyeuses fêtes pascales avec de gros bisous.

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 , Blogger My Ugly Garden said...

Interesting, my family and I were drove past that Ferry building today. It is always fascinating to see old footage of SF. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 , Blogger Teresa@magazineyourhome said...

Wow that was wonderful to watch, now we know how our crazy freeways evolved. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 , Blogger driftwoodesign said...

I really enjoyed this, thank you for putting all this together.
Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 , Blogger driftwoodesign said...

I enjoyed this post very much thank you for taking the time to put it together. I'm also an avide follower and admire your style and home, often looking at the porch while we try to pull ours together.
Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 , Blogger Allison Shops said...

What an interesting piece. Thank you so much for sharing. Our oldest daughter went to college in downtown SF and has been a resident there for almost 9 years now. I used to worry about her when she lived on Nob Hill and in the SOMA area, but she moved to Marin after graduation so I don't have to worry about earthquakes anymore! lol She and her BF will find this interesting. Thanks again,

Allison
Atticmag

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 , Blogger Lori E said...

My first thoughts are genealogy related of course. I think of the families that just ended right then and there with that earthquake.
Amazing video. Happy Easter Susan.

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 , Blogger Sue said...

I enjoyed this so much. I love history of that nature...the kind that makes me want to know more. Thanks so much for posting this and Happy Easter!

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 , Blogger An Oasis in the Desert said...

This is such an amazing piece of history. Thank goodness they were anxious to get this video to NY so it survived that horrible destruction. Thank you for sharing this.
CAS

 
At Monday, April 25, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this old footage. We're going to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge, and visit Fort Point with our kids today, so your post was especially interesting.

 
At Monday, April 25, 2011 , Blogger chris said...

that was so cool, thanks for showing me.

 
At Sunday, May 01, 2011 , Blogger Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

This was so awesome to view! Thank you for sharing this and for the links! It is so amazing how the gentleman (David King) was able to research when this film was made. And it was neat to see the descendants of the ones that created the film...

So many were captured on Market Street...how fun it would be to find out that a relative was one of the many that were filmed that day...

Blessings & Aloha!

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home