This Page

has been moved to new address

Christmas Traditions with Friends
Between Naps on the Porch: Christmas Traditions with Friends

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Dec 3, 2010

Christmas Traditions with Friends

Every December, I go on a Christmas, Historic Home Tour with two of my closest friends. It's a tradition I look forward to each year. Sometimes the tour is out of town, sometimes it's local...but wherever it is, we always have a blast. In years past, I've even decorated our "sleigh." One year it had battery powered lights running through the garland. Oh yes, it did! I'm crazy like that! :)




We make a day of it. We do the day tour, then go for a leisurely, long dinner in a local restaurant where we talk about all the beautiful historic homes and decorations we saw on the tour. We catch up on each others lives...the successes, the losses, and everything in between.

Then we head out for the Moonlight Tour...my favorite part of the tour. We stand in front of the homes in the cool December night air and we laugh and joke. These are the best days...days spent with friends I love and care about.



Do you have a fun tradition you share with friends? I know we all have those we share with our families, but I'd love to hear about the traditions you have with friends. Please leave a comment below...maybe you'll give us an idea for a new tradition to share with our friends. :)

27 Comments:

At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Anonymous Splendid Sass said...

Beautiful tradition. Sonds like fun is had by all.
Have a nice evening.
Teresa

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Sarah said...

Fun tradition, Susan. Sharing good times with friends through the years is the best! ~ Sarah

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Retirement... said...

We live in wine country in California so every year the wineries put on a Holiday In The Vineyard. It's very festive, lots of good cheer, as you can imagine, and we taste and stroll...and taste...and stroll. lol.

Anyway, wineries are springing up everywhere so I would imagine you could find a few wherever you live and make a tradition out of it.

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Anonymous Debby Hall said...

One of my dear friends started this tradition many years ago. She treats us to high tea every December. There are usually 8 of us and we all eagerly anticipate the big event. It is so special and is such a gift from our lovely friend! It is truly appreciated by all of us.

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Retirement...that sounds like so much fun. We have a few wineries in North Georgia...but nothing like you guys do! :)

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Debby, I love that! What a great friend! :)

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I have gone on the Christmas home tour every year except last year and this year..
A move will do that.. but..next year I will be back on track... :) Enjoy your tour!!

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger On Crooked Creek said...

Susan,
One of my favorite Traditons is attending our Annual Bell Choir Performance. The JOY quartet sings, liturgial dancers share their talents and all are blessed with the event. No better way (for me) to "Ring in the Season"! I love that you ladies still take time from your busy schedules to enjoy each other and uphold your Tradition!
Fondly,
Pat

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Kathysue said...

Susan I do!! WE call it our Fa-la-la day. It is a day of shopping in the hustle and bustle but either one of has to be shopping because we are done!! WE just want to be out and enjoy the lights, music, people. We have hot chocolate with whip cream and look at books at Barnes and noble. Just a great fun friend day. Fa-la-la hmmm, hmm ,hmm ♪♫♪♫
Kathysue

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Sounds like fun! I love house tours, I was on a Christmas one a few years ago.

My favorite tradtion is my cousins and I will have a pj party next weekend. One day we watch old Christmas movies and eat leftovers from our family dinner..still in our pjs all day!

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Donna said...

Special events and traditions with friends are just the BEST!! I have a set of friends that I have done tours and teas with and wonderfully, we all took our mothers until they died all within 2 years of each other a few years back. It is now amazing to look back on that and enjoy those memories. Thanks for helping me remember!!

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Cricket said...

I have a few...My friend Regina has a cookie exchange the first Saturday in December. This will be my 9th year going. My friend Tammy and I go Christmas shopping and then to a nice place for lunch and exchange a candle and tell why we picked that particular candle for the other person. And I have a big party the first Saturday of December in the evening (after the fun cookie exchange). It is called death by dessert. There are all kinds of fun food, family, friends and music. The only way you can attend is to bring a brand new toy for the toys for tots program. We pile them all under the tree and have a great time just being together with friends. The next day my husband and I take all the toys to the Marines who then give them to needy children. This is my 15th year hosting it and I hope to do it for many more.
Maerry Christmas

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Merlin said...

Aren't these FUN!?!?! My little group always does something like this...32 years and counting....franki

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your tradition sounds wonderful and something I would surely enjoy. Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Jacqueline said...

That sounds like such a fabulous tradition! I love your garland on the car. I think I could even do that! What fun to take the holiday joy with you even as you run errands.
LOL - will see you on Monday!

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger bj said...

I have several Christmas time traditions but here's two.
Every year, sometime during the month of Dec., several of my friends and I get together for MOVIE NIGHT...with all the trimmings. :)) Great movies, ever greater snacks and best of all, FABULOUS friends.

Another, which we are doing today, is the Historic Homes Christmas Tour, which I do with my beautiful daughter. I REALLY love this because it's just she and I and I love the bonding time with her. :)
Happy weekend, bj

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

This year, next Tues. ion fact 4 other friends and I are going to Winterthur to tour the mansion, shop in the gift shop and have dinner there!!!! I can't wait (and will post pics, for sure). I hope this becomes a tradition. Joe and I go every year to Longwood Gardens, they have over 1,000,000 lights!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a magical place at Christmas time (and all year long too). I also am part of 2 groups of friends who get together each month for lunch. Next Fri. is that one. I love all the fun times at Christmas!!!!!!!! XO, Pinky PS, wish I could join you on your house tour!

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Pam said...

A childhood friend and I go on a Christmas home tour on the first Sunday afternoon in December in Northwest Arkansas. Some of the homes are new others are in their historic districts. All are amazingly decorated.

Another longtime friend has hosted a cookie exchange and luncheon for years. She always serves a soup and a wonderful chocolate dessert.

Friends are the best especially this time of year!

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Flavia Galasso said...

Every year some days before Xmas we go with friends to a restaurant to toast together Xmas holidays.....have a nice weekend, ciao Flavia

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

This sounds wonderful Susan. We don't have any home tours in OKC this Christmas but we are going to the Christmas Parade on water this year. I can't wait. Good friends and my mom sounds wonderful. Thanks for reminding us why the holidays are important.

Valerie

www.thecutecouponer.blogspot.com

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger CHERI said...

A little lady (now deceased) from my church always put a wreath on her front grill...so so cute. I just posted about one of my favorite Christmas traditions that I do with the grandkids...the CHRISTMAS PICKLE. Hope you'll come over for a visit and check it out. www.cherischatter.blogspot.com

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Mary said...

Your sleigh is cute! I think that is a fun kind of crazy!!

Your tradition sounds so lovely and fun. You are a lucky girl to have close friends to share your love of homes and decorating.

Mary

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger mrsben said...

Beautiful tradition Susan and it does sound like fun! Unfortunately there are miles between myself and some of my dearest friends, so during the Holiday Season we often arrange a conference call where we can all chat together at the same time. We usually try to do it on my Birthday. Kind of 'a two for one' deal. :) -Brenda-

 
At Sunday, December 05, 2010 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Brenda...that sounds so nice! Thanks goodness we can stay in touch by phone. :)

 
At Sunday, December 05, 2010 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Thanks everyone for sharing how you celebrate the holidays with your friends. You made my day! I loved reading each one! :)

 
At Sunday, December 05, 2010 , Blogger Lori said...

I went on a tour with my daughters yesterday. Amazing mansions and then home decorate mine on a much smaller scale. But fun and great ideas.

 
At Sunday, December 05, 2010 , Blogger we three dogs and me said...

Thanks for taking us on your tour. enjoyed it very much.

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home