This Page

has been moved to new address

Making Instant Snow for Dept. 56 Villages: Sharing A Video
Between Naps on the Porch: Making Instant Snow for Dept. 56 Villages: Sharing A Video

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Dec 2, 2010

Making Instant Snow for Dept. 56 Villages: Sharing A Video

Hi Everyone!

I noticed today, several new tablescapes have been added to Tablescape Thursday. As we continue enjoying them, I thought I'd answer some of the questions left in the comments yesterday about how I hid the cords in my Dept. 56 table setting.

The Details:

There's an electrical outlet near the table where I created the Dept. 56 tablescape. It's just under the big center window of the bay window in my kitchen. I used 6 churches in this tablescape and the cords/plugs to each church all piggy-back plug into each other. That's the way the electrical cords are designed to work with Dept. 56 lit houses.




After I plugged all the lit houses into each other, I twist-tied the cords all together and plugged everything into a single extension cord. I ran the extension cord out across the back side of the table to the outlet under the window. Then I hid all the cords from the houses (the ones that were plugged into each other) under this white polyester stuffing behind the houses.




Remember this church? It's the church where the bride and groom were married. :) You can just see them in the pic below.




I ran the extension cord under the edge of the church. It was just to the left of where the bride and groom stood. Here's how it looked before I covered it with snow.




Here's how it looked covered with snow...




And here's the scene you saw...



About the snow:
The faux snow is "dehydrated snow" that I rehydrated.  It came in cans and I found it at Big Lots. You can only use this type of snow on glass surfaces since you add water to it to hydrate it. I also would not recommend using it with the Dept. 56 houses for a display that would be up several weeks because I'm not sure if it would be good for the houses to have damp snow up against them for several weeks.

You have to mist/spray this snow every day or two with water or it will dry back out. It was fine for a tablescape for one evening, but I recommend the dry snow that you typically see used with Dept. 56 houses over this type of snow for a display that will be up longer than a few hours.

Here's a little video showing how easy it is to "make" instant snow:




I thought I'd share my first attempt at making the video...guess you could call this an out-take. :)


Labels: ,

23 Comments:

At Thursday, December 02, 2010 , Blogger kenju said...

That stuff is phenomenal!

 
At Thursday, December 02, 2010 , Blogger Bill said...

Fun post, Susan! I had wondered about the cords as I scrolled through your post last night (even wondered if you'd somehow converted them to battery power). I loved the video about the artificial snow. I'd never heard of this type before. Obviously I need to stop by Big Lots more often!

Hope you have an enjoyable weekend!
Warmest regards,
Bill

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Marian said...

It's a tablescape, it's a science experiment!

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Prior said...

love it! Lezlee

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know if I enjoyed more the making of snow or your sweet accent. I've had some packages of instant snow for three years now and have never tried it, but I will now! Thanks for such and awesome blog.

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

That was so neat hearing your VOICE!!!! What a cute accent you have!!! I just BOUGHT a bag of snow yesterday. I never heard of this stuff but will check my Big Lots to see if they ahve it. It would go much further! I figured you must have an outlet back there behind the table. Can't wait til the party Sun. night!!!!!!!!!! I'll be in it and if I can figure out HOW to grab your button, I will do that too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XOXO, Pinky

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

OH! Also wanted to ask you: do you get a notice when someone leaves a comment???? If so, how do I do that????????

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger xinex said...

I love it, Susan. It is so creative and so festive and so enjoyable to look at. I finally got to comment. Just got back from a cruise with more than 40 family members. Still waiting to disembark but my I phone's working now.

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Marlis said...

What a super table. I've used my houses on my table but never with the snow (we have little people who sit with us).. I should try it..

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Susan, I used that same stuff last year in my apothecary jars and obviously over paid. I went to a shop in North Ga. after going on a home tour and they sold the little pack all by itself for six dollars. Now I know to go to Big Lots and get it for a dollar. Thanks so much!

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger we three dogs and me said...

Thanks for the video I hadn't heard about it. Makes me think about setting up my village. On second thought whose going to carry those heavy boxes from upstairs haha not me.

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Maggie said...

I love your table top vignette, the churches look wonderful with the lights on.
I just decorated a window sill in the dining room with Byers Choice Carolers and 2 Dept 56 houses.
I've never had the houses lit up because the voltage is different here in Europe.C'est la vie!
Maggie.

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Mary said...

I found some of this snow on a recent trip to PA. I haven't tried yet. I appreciate the heads up about keep it off of wood surfaces; wouldn't have thought of that!

Great post!!
Your voice is rich sounding!

Mary
From Virginia

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting the video on instant snow. I was at Big Lots yesterday but never thought to look for instant snow ~ I'll be making another trip to BL today ~ and, last, but not least, I LOVE the tablescape of churches ~ thank you for sharing your creativity in decorating, especially at Christmastime!
Joyce in STL

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Sewconsult said...

It's amazing what one can find at Big Lots! Enjoyed the tutorial. I bet there will be a run on the cans. Wish I had a table that could handle it. Thanks for the warning, too.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Farah said...

Very different thing and I am amazed by the end result so fluffy...
And I feel so happy and thrilled to listen your sweet voice Susan, its so sweet and soft..
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

 
At Friday, December 03, 2010 , Blogger Sue said...

I've never seen that snow stuff...what is it made of? Really interesting.

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Stacy said...

I love the fake snow and used it last year. Unfortunately it dries out after a day. Any ideas for keeping it hydrated?

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger mrsben said...

Thanks for the video demonstration Susan.

Myself I have never used Instant Snow (we have the real stuff up here), however have you ever tried what they call Cracked Ice? It is made by a Company called 'Darice', can often be found in the floral department of craft stores and comes in a variety of colors. (i.e: Clear, light blue, lavender, pink and red.) Once mixed, it resembles 'ice chips' and the beauty of it is .... it does NOT melt. :) -Brenda-

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger mrsben said...

LOVE YOUR VILLAGE BTW. -Brenda-

 
At Saturday, December 04, 2010 , Blogger Unknown said...

I love that snow!! I live where it never snows and I the first year I found that I put it on my courtyard wall, sprinkled it on the walkways and around my pots. I woke up the kids and told them it had snowed! It's so life like it's amazing. The only problem is just like real snow it gets yellowy and is very slippery so I have learned to not put it where you will step on it. After it gets wet (rained on!) it turns jelly like. I am shocked that you found it at Big Lots! I got mine at a specialty store and was happy to get it half off but still was way more than $1. Loved your video!

 
At Monday, December 06, 2010 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Stacy,
The little directions that came with this snow suggest misting it with water every couple of days to keep it looking fresh.

 
At Monday, December 06, 2010 , Blogger FABBY'S LIVING said...

Dear Susan:
I love your tablescape with a village, so smart, really nice, totally love it! I might do one for my granddaughters's Christmas table, I'm sure they will go for it.
Susan, how can I join your tablescapes on THURDAYS, I don't know how to enter to join...can you please tell me how? Thank you very much in advance.
Love
FABBY

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home