This Page

has been moved to new address

Antiquing and a Trip to the South Carolina State Fair
Between Naps on the Porch: Antiquing and a Trip to the South Carolina State Fair

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Oct 29, 2010

Antiquing and a Trip to the South Carolina State Fair

So many wonderful tablescapes posted for Tablescape Thursday! Scroll on down past this post and check them all out...amazing!

Two Announcements!

1. Party Planning: Very soon...hopefully next week, I'm going to share the EXACT process I go through when I'm planning a party...from the cleaning to the decorating to the food to the party activities...you name it! I know it's intimidating...the idea of preparing for a big party, so I want to help. I'll be sharing what works for me in hopes you will find it helpful. I will be as detailed and specific as possible...without hopefully boring ya to death. LOL

2. Mom Cave Posts only for Met Monday: Monday is the HomeGoods Mom Cave Challenge. So if you are a blogger and you normally link up for MM, please link up JUST Mom Cave entries for this Met Monday only. After this MM, we will resume our normal Met Monday format.

There will be 4 winners and the grand prize is $250 shopping spree at HomeGoods! Click HERE or on the link in the sidebar to read all about the Mom Cave concept.


Let's Go Antiquing:
It's been a while since we went on a shopping trip to A Classy Flea. Several of you have commented or e-mailed asking when we were going. So, let's go! BTW, rumor has it they will be having a big sale coming up very soon...shhh, don't tell anyone or all the good stuff will be gone before I get there!


First thing I spotted when I entered A Classy Flea this particular day was this painted secretary...I can never pass by a secretary without checking them out...$495


I loved this wonderful old brass and iron bed. It was already sold so no price tag...


Ha! Fat Chance...I'm telling all!


Now you know these bowls were calling my name...I barely resisted. $19.99 for the set of 4


A vintage baby gown from England...$35


A little close-up of the detail work...



Christmas stuff is already out...this 5ft gold tinsel tree caught my eye...$39



Love this brass lamp with the Cranberry glass globe...$45


I blogged about this piece earlier in the week. It's priced at $395. I've decided it would probably fight the cabinet niches for attention in the "library" where I would have used it...so I'm going to have my contractor build a fireplace for me...I think.


Set of 8 etched crystal wine glasses...$64.95


A little close-up...beautiful!


Crystal chandelier...$359


Wonderful twin beds...$288 for the pair (I think)...don't hold me to that price...going on memory. I don't normally paint furniture but the stain was a bit chipped in places. Wouldn't these be perfect in a guest room, painted some wonderful color?


Painted hutch...on sale for $329 I kind of like the two-tone action going on here...mixing stain and paint.


Gorgeous armoire...Henredon...$899



Wow!


Funny!



White wicker daybed...$159


Some Christmas fun...


A pretty tablescape...


Look who's sipping on some bubbly...


Have you seen these before? It's a tussy mussy. I actually bought this one...it was around $9, as I recall.



South Carolina State Fair:

Two weekends ago, a friend invited me to go to the South Carolina State Fair...these guys were there performing. Do you recognize them?



They look a little different now...but they sounded the same. It's the The Oak Ridge Boys. I listen to all kinds of music as you can tell from the link to my playlist at the bottom of this blog. I love rock and roll, classical, opera, gospel, country...all of it. So it was fun hearing, "Elvira," "Trying to Love Two Women" and their other hit songs. They sang for about an hour. We had great seats as you can see from the pic below. Amazing that they have stayed together for 40+ years!


This pic shows Willie Wynn on the far left. He was the original tenor...even before the current one who has been with them forever. He came out on the stage and sang one song with them.





Exhibits:

This was created with SAND! Wow!




There were so many beautiful birds...we only took a pic of one. The roosters were hilarious. I hadn't been to the fair in ages so I was like a kid!




Amazing doll houses...











Cupcakes: Too cute


Hope you enjoyed our shopping trip and quick trip to the fair! Happy Friday!

Give-a-Way: Timeless Settings:
Oh, don't forget to leave a comment on the Tablescape Thursday post to be entered for a $50 Gift Certificate for Timeless Settings!

33 Comments:

At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger http://jackieinsurrey.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

Hi Mary

That looks a great place to visit if you have plenty of money. I loved the Painted "Hutch" we would call it a dresser here in the UK. I loved the stain and paint together, it might just fit in my dining room. I loved the little gown from here, I remember when I loved in London there was a lovely shop along the kings Road called Lunn antiques and they had lots of children and ladies items like that and the best time was when they had a sale on, could get some lovely bargains for the home. I hope you didn't mind my tablescape the other day of afternoon tea pictures, a very British thing at 3pm here!! Have a great weekend.Jackie in UK.

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Susan, I am jealous. I would love to be antiquing, and even more so, would love to be in South Carolina. It all sounds like so much fun.

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Anonymous Miss Char said...

Susan, thank you so much for the trip to the fair. Yes I certainly do recognize the Oak Ridge Boys, I love their harmony to this day. I would have had to have those dishes even if I had to become a greeter at the mall to get them. You are a stronger shopper than I am. Those twin beds would look perfect in one of my son and DIL's guest rooms. Thanks so much for the window shopping excursion.

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Marian said...

I love those trips to A Classy Flea. Thank you for the vicarious thrill.

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger kenju said...

A lot of work went into those dollhouses!!

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger La said...

Thanks for taking me to the fair and antique shopping.

I used to have a neighbor named Elvira. She was such a little prim and proper lady, but she sure loved that song.

Have a great weekend! La

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger ChRiS said...

i enjoyed your adventures i would have had to bye that wicker daybed course was few other items i loved and State Fairs can be so fun i must admit i love em more now that kids are grown now i can enjoy the exhibits and not the rides!!

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Kathleen said...

That was a very interesting post! I like the Oak Ridge "Boys", er... old men! :)
Love that Santa sitting ready to eat a candle, LOL! I am sure it will en light en him!
Sand sculptures and doll houses were great!
Have a great weekend, Susan.

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger very merry vintage style said...

Thanks for taking me along on your antiquing trip! Looks like a fun place.

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh! sugar! We came home too early from our trip down there ... that looks like a fabulous place to enjoy.

Have a BOO-TEA-FUL weekend!
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger shannon i olson said...

fun trip and what a gorgeous bird!! love the little house too.

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan,
What a fun post! The shopping trip had so many treasures to look at and imagine where I would put them! The fair was lots of fun...trying to match the old and new pictures of the Oak Ridge Boys up. The cupcakes, the dollhouses...wow.
Have a great weekend!

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Sue said...

I think you need to go back for those Christmas dishes:)

I've seen the Oaks in concert a few times. I'm not a huge country fan, but they put on such a great show...love them!

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Mary said...

ooo, what a fun trip to Classy Flea! They must have some great connections to get such a variety of beautiful things!

I love the doll houses from the state fair! They were too cute.

Thank you!
Mary

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hi Susan,
that was a nice tour through all the wonderful things, you saw. Georgeou antiques, cute dollhouses (for example the one with a porch for having a nap)and lovely doggy cupcakes. Oh so cute. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Greetings, Johanna

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger lvroftiques said...

Susan I just love going tiquin' with you! That grey secretary was cool! And the cranberry lamp was a great price. Things like that are always expensive round my neck of the woods. And I think I'm going to start collecting tussie mussies......sooooo charming! Good score girl!
The ORB sure are a blast from the past! Thanks for sharing your adventures. It's always a pleasure. Vanna

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Kim said...

Wow, those prices are really high compared to up here. A lot of nice things though. Thanks for sharing the pix.
xoxo,
Kim

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Jocelyn said...

Oh wow I need that double Armoire! And that was a decent price too.

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Anonymous Megan said...

Hi Susan, thank you for the tour.
I especially liked the cranberry lamp and the dolls' houses. The first one reminds me of my previous house.
Regarding the tussie mussie. I know this as a small bouquet of mixed flowers or herbs. I guess that was the holder for them, probably for a wedding.
Nice buy.
Meg

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love going to the Classy Flea on tour. Thanks and take us again sometime.

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Sarah said...

Susan, looks like lots of treasures are waiting at the Flea. Wish I had room for more pieces. ;-)
I haven't been to a state fair since I was a kid. Looks like fun! ~ sarah

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for the trip to the fair. Have not been to one in a long time - the one here changed and not for the best. The doll houses got my immediate attention (started working on the San Franciscan a little lately).
Enjoy your weekend.

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Pam Kessler said...

That wicker daybed would have had to come home with me. Not that I have any room for it, but it looked so cozy. I love that store. Wish they had something similar up here.

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

Thank you for showing pictures of the SC fair. I live about an hour north from the state fair grounds but have never been! My family and I where trying to make our way back from the beach a few weekends again it took us forever....traffic was so heavy. I told the hubby that there must be a big concert at the state fair. Ha Ha. Now I know I was right! (I wouldn't need to tell the hubby because he's already use to me being right. LOL)

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

"Hay" girlfriend (said with that adorable southern accentI have always wanted:)
This would be so much fun to go romp around in that fab shop! Oh my I saw so many goodies that would have to come home with me, like that Day bed (sorry Pam:) and those plates and the Santa and the gown and the dishes on the table, and, and, and...
OH I could just be so bad in there!
Loved the fair too and would have loved to see the Oakridge Boys, I love pretty much all music.
Hugs,
Terry
PS can't wait for the party planningpost, I love to plan parties and entertain so this will be fun!

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Linda @ A La Carte said...

I think its time for another trip to A Classy Flea for sure. So much fun. I enjoyed your tour!

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger Pinky said...

I am not used to all these posts but I sure am enjoying them!!! Thanks for the tour. When I saw the hutch that was painted on the bottom I thought I would paint that BLACK:) I sure could use some more DISH STORAGE:):):) XO, Pinky

 
At Friday, October 29, 2010 , Blogger xinex said...

What a fun post, Susan! So many nice things to see at the Classy Flea. I would have bought those plates too!...Christine

 
At Saturday, October 30, 2010 , Blogger Sewconsult said...

Would love to have been along on the antiquing.
Actually, the guy (Golden) with the long beard did leave the group for several years, but joined back up a few years ago. Don't remember the exact years or how long he stayed off the stage. I have always liked their style better than many of the country "stars". I don't live very far from Dolly Parton's house! It can be quite a delay when tour buses block the road.
Beckie (in Music City area)

 
At Saturday, October 30, 2010 , Blogger mrsben said...

Lucky plates to be adopted by you. :)

I'll take that armoire though. It's beautiful!

Thanks for the outing, I enjoyed it. -Brenda-

 
At Saturday, October 30, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adult Halloween Refreshment and leaving the porch light on.

Hmm my first thought is don't we all leave the porch light on anyway for our tiny trick or treaters? While I don't have children at home anymore, I do wonder about the effects of sipping and walking door to door with the children possibly getting more adult beverages at each door. Am I a fuddy duddy?

Christy

 
At Sunday, October 31, 2010 , Blogger Jemsmom said...

Great shopping and good times at the fair! The guy with the long beard used to live near us in Tennessee and his face and beard are carved into a tree at the front of his driveway! It looks really cool! Glad you had a good time in our state!

 
At Monday, November 01, 2010 , Anonymous Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I would not have been able to resists that set of Christmas bowls. Such lovely things, I don't know how you stay away for as long as you do!

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home