This Page

has been moved to new address

A Porch Metamorphosis and some Hummingbird Fun, Welcome to the 83rd Metamorphosis Monday!
Between Naps on the Porch: A Porch Metamorphosis and some Hummingbird Fun, Welcome to the 83rd Metamorphosis Monday!

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Aug 15, 2010

A Porch Metamorphosis and some Hummingbird Fun, Welcome to the 83rd Metamorphosis Monday!

Back during early spring...or was it winter...I forget now...I took down the sheers that normally hang at the "windows" of the screened-in porch. The sheers still looked great, but I figured they could use a good washing since they had been hanging there for 2 years. About time, huh?

So the porch has been looking like this all summer...naked and bare.




I was kind of enjoying this open look so I haven't been in a big hurry to put the sheers back up.



This weekend that changed...time to see sheers again. Only took about 15 minutes to hang them all back up since I'd left the rod supports in place. Feels more complete again...softer. Yep, I was ready.




They have been swaying in and out with with the breezes from the overhead fans. Not much breeze otherwise. Yay for fans!




If you like the look of sheers, it's easy and inexpensive to add them. These were less than $5 per panel and I found them (along with the rods) at Wal-mart. I purchased painted rods so they wouldn't rust...so far they have held up great. In the two years they were hanging, I've never had a problem with mold or mildew. They are so light and airy, they dry very quickly if they get wet.



See that red thing hanging outside from the candle-lier...which is hanging from the pergola overhead? That's a hummingbird feeder. Since I'm still working on my video skills, I decided to make like a statue on the deck...a statue with a video camera. Mr. Hummingbird wasn't at all sure about the crazy woman in the corner a few feet away. I'll keep trying and eventually he'll get used to seeing me out there. In the meantime...here's a 1 minute video I shot today. When he almost landed, I tried to zoom in...then he zoomed off.   For a larger view, click on the thingy (to the left of the word Vimeo) that looks like four tiny arrows all pointing outward. It will enlarge the view...then just hit your escape key when finished. Enjoy!





So what have you been up to this Met Monday? Can't wait to see!



Metamorphosis Monday:
If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday: Please be sure to add your permalink below, and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar at the top, into the "url" box for the picture linky. You'll also need to put your e-mail address in, but don't worry, it will not be visible to anyone.

I'd love it if you would include the MM button in your post, to make it easy for others to find you MM post. To do that, just copy and paste the Met Monday button to your computer or grab the html code from underneath the MM logo on my sidebar.

Please include a link in your MM post back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch. Why is this important? When you include a link back to BNOTP, it ensures your regular readers/visitors will find the other awesome "Before and Afters" linked for this Metamorphosis Monday. If everyone links back, this maximizes the opportunity for visits for all who participate. I don't like having to delete links, I truly don't. But it isn't fair to the other participants who do link back, if I allow some to participate and not link back, showing they do not care if their fellow participants get visits or not. I hope you understand why I will have to delete your link if you do not link back to the MM party...just trying to make it fair for all who participate and maximize visits for all who participate.

Please do not add your link below, until your MM post is actually published to your blog. Please DO NOT type in all caps...it spreads the links waaaay out. Thanks! :-)

Let's try something fun today! Please visit the person who linked before you and after you...that way everyone will get some visits. Hope you'll visit more, of course. :-)

Labels:

47 Comments:

At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Anonymous Christi @ A Southern Life said...

I've always loved your porch. It is fabulous. I really like the look with the sheers.

I have a hummingbird feeder too and it is so fun to watch the little birds. I think they spend a lot of time chasing each other off that they could be spending enjoying the nectar!

Thanks for hosting one of the most fun parties in blogland!

Christi @ A Southern Life

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Susan! Your porch looks fabulous as always! Now we just need some cooler weather! Aren't hummingbirds the cutest little guys? Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Lynn said...

loooooove your porch! I am still campaigning for mine!

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Mary said...

I do love the sheers on your porch. They just add so much to your room. The idea of them blowing around with the whirl of fans sounds so relaxing!

Have a wonderful week.

Mary
From Virginia

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger A Pretty Pastime said...

I could've watched that video 100 times! Thanks so much for posting it :-)

I love, love, love your porch!

Katy

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susan! Oh, how I love your porch! Looks great with the sheers and looks great without! That's the most nekked I've ever seen the porch! :) So glad you're in the groove using my most wonderful vocabulary! :)
The video is so precious. I believe that little hummingbird actually looked at you! Because he flew around to the backside of the feeder thinking you couldn't see him! :) They are the cutest little things. He looksbigger than the hums we have.
Take care and always 'thank you' for hosting this most wonderful day! I do my best to visit everyone! I know, I'm a silly!! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Paula@SweetPea said...

I love your porch. You must enjoy so much sitting out there. I'm curious to see what curtain change you might come up with!

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger {oc cottage} said...

Oh! They are so cute! Since my sister's back yard is under construction, she had to move her feeder and she has all her hummers in a tizzy! Especially Fidel...he is one of those orange ones from SA...and he is a dictator! {if you pop off those yellow flowers, you will get bigger birds too...not sure what they are, but they like the sugar and the males are ELECTRIC yellow!}

m ^..^

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Susan, I don't know that you can do anything more to make your porch look any better. I love it. The sheers are wonderful and the porch looks fabulous without them too. Love it. Hugs, Marty

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I love the sheers on your porch Susan! They have always made it seem so romantic!
And that hummingbird video turned out really well!
Have a great week,
Cindy

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger One Cheap B*tch said...

Another great party! And I just can't stop gushing over your gorgeous porch!

Jeanine

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Sonny G said...

The sheers do add some softness.
Cant wait to see what you do for fall..
thanks for hosting this party..

Sonny

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Kathysue said...

Aaaaah!! Love the little hummer. I have to tell you what happened to me. Sitting on my porch morning coffee and talking on the phone to my Mom, hubby brings me breakfast, aaah , sweet. I am eating an english muffin holding it in one hand and the phone in the other and up comes a hummer about 10in from my face, I don't know if he thought I was going to give him a bite or what. too funny!! Happy Monday,Kathysue

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

I love your porch with the sheers! It looks so warm and inviting! Love it! And your hummingbird video was so cute! He knew you were watching him! Thanks for hosting!

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Susan McClaskey said...

As I read your post, I was thinking to myself, "the porch doesn't need sheers..." Then I saw the after pictures and thought, "wooooow!" Beautiful, as usual. Loved the hummingbird video. They are such incredible birds. Thanks for all the efforts you put into everything and sharing it all.
Susan

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger the cape on the corner said...

those sheers definitely add such softness. it's really amazing how it changes the look of the room with something so simple!

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger susan said...

LOVE the video. They will get used to you. Have you ever seen the pictures of the woman with the hummingbird sitting on her arms? I posted the pics a long time ago, but they are worth seeing! Hope you've got the fans going full blast on that porch...whewww! It looks great!

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger xinex said...

Your porch always looks good, Susan. Aren't hummingbirds just the cutest things?...Christine

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Richella Parham said...

It's good to see those sheers back on your porch, Susan! They look so breezy--the whole effect is one of coolness and serenity. If Atlanta has been like Durham, you need the effect of coolness, because the weather sure hasn't give us any! I think something different for fall would be great--are you thinking drop cloths??

I watched your hummingbird video--so darling! Thank you for capturing that!

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Paula Grace Designs said...

Hi Susan,
I haven't joined in the party in a while. I am doing a series where I am showing a project I am working on from start to finish. It's called Project Love. I linked one of the posts on it. If folks want to view the whole story as it happens, they may click on Project Love under Labels (right side bar). I hope you enjoy it!
Paula Grace ~

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I think your porch just epitomizes what most people have in their minds eye of the prefect respite to lounge, away from the main goings on of the house. It's so charming, warm, and welcoming...with or without the sheers. I love it!

Nancy

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Susan, I LOVE the look of the sheers on the porch and I missed them before! They add a little romance :) And I am also happy to report that I had my first hummingbird yesterday, who spent some time looking in my big window, flying up and down and around, just staring at me! Where was my camera? Thanks for the hummingbird advice. Your video is amazing. Linda

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger kenju said...

I would always want the sheers on the porch.

I watched a hummingbird yesterday, who came to my lantanas and stuck his bill into every single little blossom. It took him about 10 minutes and I watched all of it. Too bad the camera was in the house.

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Anonymous Leanne said...

I love your porch both ways. It's just beautiful! Thanks for hosting every week.

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger susan said...

I forgot to tell you. Love the new header!

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Goodness I Totally LOVE your porch!!! I linked up a project- new follower here! :)

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Susan said...

Hi Susan...Absolutely wonderful video. You must have been SO HAPPY! You captured that little hummer so perfectly.

I like the sheers back, too. Thanks so much for sharing. Susan

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Sheers fluttering in the breeze sound so lovely and romantic! I'd love to have some. I wonder what you'll do in the fall? I'm always changing things around! Thanks for the party! Jacqueline

 
At Sunday, August 15, 2010 , Blogger Melissa Miller said...

So sweet Susan! I enjoyed the video. We also have a hummingbird feeder and one lone bird that goes crazy protecting it from the others. They are hungry little birdies for sure. He eats all day long over and over. *Smiles*

Thanks for checking out my healthy snack ideas. I've lost 48 pounds and still counting. I'm thrilled!

Have a blessed week.
~Melissa :)

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan I never tire of looking at your lovely porch!! I do so love the sheers though- they just make the room complete to me. You wouldn't know it but your pretty spot is one of the inspiration rooms for my sunroom that I have linked up this week. It certainly doesn't look anything like yours- I am looking for something to use on all the many windows in this room as I love the look-

bee blessed
mary

thank you for hostessing this great party! I don't miss Met Mondays even if I don't have have a thing to bring to the party!

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger Fifi Flowers said...

Your ever changing tables are FAB!

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger Renée said...

Such a lovely porch and your hummingbird is just adorable. Thanks for having us over!

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger Biljana said...

Hi Susan!!
Your porch looks gorgeous:))
Thanks for hosting.
Greetings from Europe, Biljana

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Anonymous Beverly @ My Sew Sweet Studio said...

I really love the sheers on your porch. I wish I could have them, but too dusty here.
I used to have a hummingbird feeder just like that. One hummingbird would not let the others near it.
It was fun watching your litle video.

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger Jocelyn said...

I love the look of your porch! The sheers really dresses it up. Really classy.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

No matter how many times I see your porch, it always brings a smile to my face. Love it with our without clothes (sheers) !!

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger Denise said...

I love your porch Susan, I always wonder if it's screened in? I can never tell. The sheers could still get wet if it is so I'm not sure. I'd like to hang sheers too, I just never seem to get around to it, and I did wonder if they would look a mess or get moldy once it rained and they got wet, nice to know they dry pretty quick.

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger RedBettySummer said...

So many blogs to check out today! I wasn't sure I would blog for MM but we had such a change in our home this weekend, I couldn't not share about it. Thanks for making this available. Have a great week.

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I know what you mean about leaving the sheers down for awhile, Susan! Sometimes it's nice to enjoy things with a little different look. I like it both ways. I like the idea that the sheers give you a psychologically cool feeling even though they are not really doing anything. If anyone is going to get a breeze this Summer, I would think it would be you on that porch! We have had horrible humidity this year ~ just a one day break in between here and there. I can't wait until Fall!

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Dear Susan, loving the porch photos. But what I really wanted to do, was thank you for teaching me how to have a blog, with b-i-g pics!

Your tutorial taught me and I am not techy... So you do wonderful tutorials!

And I see that you continue to do b-i-g photos here.

What concerns me is, I've been told that one can have pics showing, too b-i-g. But you worry-not, about too b-i-g photos.

What they may be referring to, and now I realize that I am *guilty* of this--> Allowing my photos to be too deep... Thus, someone would have to scroll down, to see all parts of the whole photo. Same with my Header, at this very moment. -le sigh-

Soooo, I'm so glad I wrote this Comment here! It allowed me to see more clearly! And I will begin to make sure my photos are not tooooo deeeeeep. But I'll continue to show them, just as wide as you do! If they are fine for a very, very popular blog, like yours, they will be fine for my little blog. :-)

First thing tomorrow! Make my Header photo less deep! I still don't know how to size actually, so I'll just do it my old-fashioned way... Keep snapping pics, and cropping them, till one comes out right! And fits, as I want it to fit. -giggles- That's what we non-techy people have to do. :-)

Gentle hugs...

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger Pinky said...

Good evening dear Susan! I love your porch but have to say am partial to having the sheers. They just seem to add so much...to me anyway! I can't wait to see what you are planning on doing for Fall!!!!!!! XO, Pinky

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger Heaven's Walk said...

Hi Susan! All I can do is sigh when I look at those photos of your porch....it's just so beautiful! What a wonderful place to kick back and relax. With our w/out the sheers ---- it's just pure bliss!

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 , Blogger Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Susan,
I love your sunroom! The sheers definitely add a softer touch. I am linking up my back patio that I just finished re-doing. I hung up drop cloth curtains on my patio and I am hoping they don't get mildewy. We'll see...
Thanks for hosting this party!

 
At Tuesday, August 17, 2010 , Blogger Gloria said...

Beautiful Hummingbird video!!! LOVED IT, GREAT JOB!!!!
Best,
Gloria

 
At Tuesday, August 17, 2010 , Blogger decorating diva {aka deanna} said...

your porch is heavenly! oh to spend an afternoon there! sheers or no sheers it's beautiful! thanks for hosting!

 
At Tuesday, August 17, 2010 , Anonymous Deb said...

Your porch inspired me to build one exactly like it ,whew slow going but I know in the end its going to be so worth the wait ,I cant wait to share my photos with you ,thank you for all your help ,Deb

 
At Wednesday, August 18, 2010 , Blogger Lady Katherine said...

I love the porch without the sheers, but oh how romantic they are! Just love them! Seeing your table empty was so difffernt! I loved the video of the hummingbird! I have watched one daily fly just around my porch. So much fun! I have so loved watching them and the butteflies, I have never seen so many! I have flowers everywhere this summer, so I have enjoyed watching!

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home