This Page

has been moved to new address

Family Traditions...It's All About Love
Between Naps on the Porch: Family Traditions...It's All About Love

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Jan 24, 2009

Family Traditions...It's All About Love


Welcome to Pink Saturday, hosted by Beverly, at How Sweet the Sound. Be sure to visit Beverly's blog to see a complete list of all the participants in today's Pink Saturday.

Recently I came across this whimsical, pink grater and thought it would be a fun thing to share on an upcoming Pink Saturday. But it also reminded me of a very special grater we just used during this past Christmas.


My Father-in-Law, pictured below reading to my son when when he was quite young, faithfully served during World War II. One Christmas, after returning home, he and my Mother-in-Law were making a Coconut cake, to go with Ambrosia, both being the traditional Christmas dessert for many generations in their family. The war was still going on and many products were either unavailable or being rationed, including metal.



This picture taken in 1942 of movie star, Rita Hayworth, was definitely a sign of the times. (You can read more about rationing during the war at the SITE where I found this picture.)


My Mother and Father-in-law had not been married long, and as most newlyweds, were still accumulating some of the basic things you needed for a kitchen. The family recipe for the coconut cake called for fresh coconut and there were no metal graters to be found. So my Father-in-Law, being the creative and resourceful person he was, decided to just make one himself.

He used the only metal available, a tin can. Though not the fanciest grater in the world, it did an outstanding job of grating coconut extremely fine. The coconut it grated came out feathery light...very different from what you would ever find pre-packaged in stores.

Over the years, everyone in the family became quite spoiled and only liked coconut cake if the coconut was grated on this particular grater. Who could blame them...the cake all but melted in your mouth!

In later years, the job of grating the coconut was passed down to my husband. And with each passing year, it became harder and harder to use the grater as the little teeth became more and more dull. Over all those many years, I'm not sure anyone had ever realized what a true labor of love it was for Grandpa, as he grated the coconut for the coconut cake.



Now each year, when the coconut is grated for the coconut cake and ambrosia, it is mostly done on a grater I purchased at Williams Sonoma with very, very fine teeth, as well as on a microplane grater I received as a gift from my sister, Glenda. Fortunately, I was blessed with two wonderful assistants this past Christmas. One was my son, Chip, who by the way, just got 4 A's and a B his first semester of law school! Yipee! :-)



My other assistant was Chip's precious sweetheart, Nancy. They humored Mom and let me take a pic, despite knowing they just might end up on ..."The Blog." :-)
They both did an outstanding job of grating the coconut. And in memory of Grandpa, as well as for the sake of tradition, some of the coconut was grated on a little grater made during the era of WWII. I know Grandpa must have been smiling down from heaven seeing his much loved grandson using the grater he had made almost 60 years before.

The cake turned out to be one of my better efforts. It was moist, light and fluffy, the icing didn't sugar, and the coconut was food for angels. :-)



I thought I'd share the cake and icing recipe with you, my sweet friends in Blogland. It's an old fashioned, simple, family recipe that's been passed down through the generations. I got it from my dear Mother-in-law (pictured below.)




1 2 3 4 Cake

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
4 eggs
1 cup milk
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream butter until fluffy.
Add sugar and cream well.
Add eggs one at a time.
Beat well.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
Add milk and flour mixture into the butter mixture, alternating the two and ending with flour
Beat on low speed
Add vanilla extract
Pour into 3 greased and floured cake pans. (Makes three layers)
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes...test with a toothpick to see if it's done



Seven Minute Icing

Ingredients:

2 unbeaten egg whites
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons Karo syrup
6 Tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Coconut, finely grated

In double boiler, mix egg whites, sugar, water and Karo syrup, beating for 30 seconds until mixed. (Do this prior to placing the boiler over the boiling water.)
Cook 5 or 6 minutes in double boiler until the soft peak stage, beating with a hand mixer the whole time.
Add vanilla extract, beating 2 or 3 more minutes to the consistency for spreading.
Spread on cake, sprinkling coconut on each layer as well as patting coconut onto the sides.

Oh...little reminder. Monday is Metamorphosis Monday and Tuesday is Tablescape Tuesday. Mr. Linky will be here ready for you to sign up the evening before each event by 10:00 P.M.

I will let you know after this Tuesday if Tablescape Tuesday will be moving to Thursday (Tablescape Thursday). Please read last Thursday's post if you would like more details about why I'm thinking of changing the day of the week for Tablescape Tuesday.

Also, feel free to vote in the poll at the top of the sidebar. If you aren't familiar with Met Monday or Tablescape Tuesday, click on those logos in my sidebar for all the details. Have a great weekend!

Labels:

81 Comments:

At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Neabear said...

What wonderful memories! The cake sounds delish!

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Susan,
What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing with us. We live in such a disposable society. Need a grater, buy one and toss it when it gets even the slightest bit worn out. It's so nice that you have something to cherish that was handmade and can remind us there was a time when people could not just run out to Target for a new gadget.
~Michelle

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Knitty said...

What a lovely story!

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Jojo said...

This was a delightful post and full of surprises and enjoyment. Thank you for sharing the handmade grate, the pink grate and the precious graters, not to mention the cherished recipe!

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Love the story of the grater and that little lady one is soooo cute. I love coconut cake...looks so good!

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Pam said...

Great story! I love the picture of the grater and the fact that it was kept and used for so many years. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Susan, I loved your story about the grater. I am so glad it stayed in the family for all of these years. Your cake looks wonderful. You aren't going to believe this. But, I made a very similar looking cake today. I have already posted it and the recipe for a future post this week. I am not a copycat. I promise!!! LOL Mine isn't from scratch. But, it's yummy! I loved seeing your son & his girlfriend working in the kitchen. You must be proud he's doing so well in school. Have a great weekend.
Hugs, Terrie

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Tardevil said...

What a sweet story. That grater will be a family antique one day! Congrats to your son for making such good grades. I have a source very close to me that says that wasn't easy! :O) Oh, and the cake looks yummy too!

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Great post...sweet memories.. Happy Pink Saturday!

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Four Paws and Co said...

Susan, What a wonderful & heartwarming story! My mom also made amazing coconut cakes, and I'm so sorry to say I don't have the her recipes. Thank you for sharing the story and the recipe with us. ♥ Diane

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Charlotte said...

Hi Susan...what a wonderful story you told...to be able to see the picture of the actual can grater made it even better...Congrats to your son the future lawyer...My daughter is a lawyer so I know how difficult it is.....

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Kathysue said...

Oh Susan,I love this story and it is one that I will repeat,what a sweet,sweet story.By the way your son was an absolute little doll and as a young man quite Handsome.Congrats on the amazing grades that is wonderful.I love the fact that he helps grate the coconut,this memory will carry on for the future generations,now that is the BEST!! thank you for sharing another wonderful piece of you always interesting and inspirational life, hugs to you my friend,Kathysue

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Meadowsweet Days said...

What a precious story. Thank you for sharing it with us..... the recipe too!

Carol

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger xinex said...

Thanks for the recipe, Susan, that's my dh's favorite cake. That pink grater is the cutest one that I have ever seen. And the grater that your FIL made, how sweet of him and how nice that you still have it around. Your son and his GF makes a nice couple and congrats for his excellent grades. I can see how proud his mama is! Thanks for your warm welcome on my blog!...Christine

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Dixie said...

What a wonderful post... you know how I love to read those memories... Was your father-in-law Polish? That grater looks like something my husband would come up with... we call it "Polish Ingenuity"! Thanks for sharing such a sweet memory and such a delicious sounding recipe!
Blissfully, Dixie

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger The Raggedy Girl said...

A wonderful story with great photos AND a cool new recipe. Thank you!!!
Roberta Anne

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful story...carrying on traditions is a special thing.

I bet that cake is delicious, if you like coconut...unfortunately, I'm not a coconut girl! My mother on the other hand...would LOVE it!

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a beautiful and moving story. And ingenious of your father-in-law. Way to go Chip!! Good job.. Susan the cake looks delicious, thanks for the recipe. Hubby loves coconut.. Happy Pink Saturday
hugs ~lynne~

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a lovely and heartwarming story. I think it's wonderful that you still have that precious grater and that you still lovingly use it. Your son and his girlfriend make a wonderful couple and his grades are fabulous. Congratulations, I know you must be proud. Thanks also for the recipe, it sound just wonderful. Marty

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger santamaker said...

Susan, I loved your story about the coconut grater, it's those little things in life that we hold on to that keep our family close to our hearts. Thanks for sharing and also for the recipe. Looks delightful!
Your son looks like such a nice young man, congrats on his grades!

 
At Friday, January 23, 2009 , Blogger Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh Susan, I loved the story of the grater! What a wonderful story and memory your f-i-l passed down. Your son is so good looking, and his girlfriend is so pretty. Congratulations on his grades. laurie

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger 9405018--Pat said...

Susan, what a wonderful story! Thanks for the cake recipe...Pat

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Glenda/MidSouth said...

What wonderful memories! The cake looks so good. Tell your son to keep up the good grades - it will pay off. Have a great weekend.
Glenda

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

I loved that story! And I am going to try the cake recipe! Thanks or posting it...
Mmmmmm I'll let you know..
*Rainey

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Omah's Helping Hands said...

What wonderful memories, even if some of them were built on hard times. Personally I think those hard times made for better people. What a sweet man to make a grater like that. Makes one wish for more things like that. Thanks for sharing such a heart warming story. I love reading stuff like this. Bless you, happy pink Saturday, and have a wonderful weekend!

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Glenda said...

I knew one day you would have to give up the recipe. Who knew it would take a blog to make it happen. I've seen the grater and tasted a bit of what it is capable of creating (thank you Cary for saving me a piece).

Traditions don't die easily, so I think that grater will be around for a long, long time.

Good show Chipper D.

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Bo said...

This was such an enjoyable peek into your family's background. Your son is so handsome & smart too! His sweetheart is really pretty also. I used to make 7 Minute Icing, but it has been years!...just might have to give it a go again. ;-) Bo

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger My name is Riet said...

Thank you for the lovely story. What would life be without family traditions. I love your little pink grater . Happy pink Saturday

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Just Between Us Girls said...

Good Morning...
Your blog is incredible and your porch...heavenly...love the shears...I always wanted shears in the gazebo...maybe this year...you have inspired me. Your photographs are grand...everything
is superior..
Thank you.
Happy days to you.
Pat

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh Susan...What a wonderful, touching story! And thanks for the family recipe! The cake looks yummy! Is this the same cake at the Cookie Exchange or was that one made by one of your co-hostesses? Have a great week-end!...Debbie
PS Enjoying listening to Henri!!!! Merci!

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Kat said...

Such a wonderful story! It's so important to keep these traditions alive. Things move so fast now, and every thing is so disposable. When that grater retires, have you thought about having the story written (perhaps in calligraphy) and shadow boxing it? Just a thought. Anyway, thanks for the great post and congrats to your son on his grades! Kathy

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Terri Steffes said...

I am not a coconut fan, but most of my family is. I think the cake is lovely and something I should try for them! I loved the story of the grater. I loved that you put the story on your blog, now your story lives forever!

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Jewel Sauls said...

What a wonderful story. That is the type of history that needs to be saved and I am so glad you are doing that! Congrats to your son and his gf! DH and I were married while he was in law school and it is hard on both parties!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe also.

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Debra said...

A blessed and heartfelt story. I got a little teary. It is so nice that you cherish these family memories and keep them going. Your children are lucky to have such a wonderful and caring mom....Susan you are a special lady!

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

I love that story. What a special generation the WW2 people were (and some still are living)! I love how they rose to the challenge of a simple thing - a grater. Thanks! Linda

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a precious story of the grater, Susan! Love it. Now your assistants are most charming and your cake is gorgeous! I'm going to take your recipe!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Tomarie said...

I think that's about the prettiest cake I've ever seen! :-)
What a beautiful story you've shared...and how wonderful of you to have kept it all these years!
Congrats on your son making such FANTASTIC grades! And his girlfriend is a real beauty! :-)
L~

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger squawmama said...

What a wonderful story Susan... I loved it and thanks so much for sharing the recipe... The grater has so much love and memories attached to it I know it makes you feel special just having it… Such a beautiful cake and my honey just loves coconut... Can't wait to try it... Have a splendid Saturday.

(((HUGS)))
Donna

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Sue~ The wonderfully sweet & sentimental history of your grater choked me up w/ emotion. I don't think family items like that can be TRULY appreciated, unless one has grown up in a truly LOVING & WARM family, & FELT the attachment to the people involved. This touched my heart so much, & he was undoubtedly a WONDERFUL, giving & thoughtful man FOR & TO his family. I was thinking that while the grater's "effectiveness" may be fading... (while of course the memories are still "fresh)... that SETTING IT OUT on the counter, table or KITCHEN tablescape, w/ a small votive candle BEHIND it, would cast a lovely glow at night, & most likely make this dear man's presence felt & known once again... Just a thought for you, my dear friend~ Love, Linda

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Kris said...

Susan, that was such a "grate" post. Ha-ha! No seriously, I loved it. I am on who loves tradition, and adores family treasures. That tin can grater is precious! I am also a cake decorater and that recipe shall be going in my book of things to try very soon. Thank you for sharing it! Good job Chip, on your grades.

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Light and Voices said...

It was so exciting seeing the pink whimsical grater! Thank you for taking a wonderful photograph of it and posting. The homemade grater was a tear jerker. What a wonderful memory! It was so sweet of you to include the recipe for the cake and the frosting. Thank you.
Joyce

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet story and I love the creativity of Grandpa. Thanks for sharing your tradition along with the recipe. And Chip, if you're reading this... I'm sending you a big "attaboy"! Can I give you Mark's phone #? He could use some inspiration.
love, Carol

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Lavender Chick said...

What a lovely story and precious memory! Thanks for the cake recipe. Can't wait to give it a try. The cake looked beautiful on your gorgeous cake plate! Thanks for sharing this wonderful story.

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger ~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Your recipe sounds wonderful. I just love 7 minute frosting. Yum!

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger imjacobsmom said...

Such a dear, sweet story. It only goes to show you the ingenuity of some people and the sweetness behind it all. I have many precious homemade things from my Dad that I treasure. I love that pic of your FIL reading to your smarty-pants son (see how important it is to read to our kids - now he is a law studnet!) Thanks for the recipe I'm saving it for sure. ~ Robyn

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Helen said...

There are so many aspects of your post to comment on I don't know where to begin. The cake, the cake stand!!, your son and his good grades, your dad-in-law, the old photos, Rita, the icing - everything wonderful!!!!

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger ♥Mimi♥ said...

I would love to have a piece of that cake with a cup of tea. I'll be waiting by my front door for the UPS guy to deliver.

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Musings From A French Cottage said...

What a wonderful story. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting it and the yummy cake recipe too!

Hugs,
Kathleen

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Jen said...

I love your story about the grater. I wish I knew all the stories about the goodies I inherited from my grandparents and parents.

And by the way, I am impressed. You work full-time, have an amazingly well-decorated home and a beautiful garden, and still find time to blog? How do you do it all?

Happy Pink Saturday!

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh it turned out beautifully! What a great story and keepsake!

~Liz

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

Your cake turned out beautifully! What a wonderful story and keepsake.

~Liz

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet and touching story. You might have to have someone make you a new grater LIKE, but not to replace, the old one. I love thise story and the old photos. Thank you for sharing them!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Erin :)

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Cami @ Creating Myself said...

What a cute grater..thansk for teh coconut cake recipe. Happy PInk Saturday!

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Salmagundi said...

How special your grater is!! And the cake looks yummy, too. Sally

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Debra Howard said...

That cake looks so good. Now I am hungry. I always enjoy your blog so much. I left an award for you at my gloryfeathers blog.
Debbie

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Elenka said...

THAT was a fabulous story. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely story.And the pink grinder is precious.Thank you for the recipe.I know it's GOT to be yummy...Ann

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger The Muse said...

I applaud the tenacity and ingenuity of your family...and more importantly the thoughtful and caring manner in which you all seem to strive in helping one another.

What a story from the beginnings of a tin can!

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Decor To Adore said...

You left out the secret ingrediant: love. :)

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Susan,
That was a great story, the cake looks fabulous! My question is, how do you find all that energy? Could you please share your secret with me? Congrats to your son on his good grades too. Cindy

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Kat said...

Hi Susan, stop by when you get a chance, there is an award waiting for you. Kathy

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger ~CC Catherine said...

Susan, Loved the story behind the grater..Coconut Cake is one of my favorite, and "Coconut" in general is something I've always loved. It's so precious! Thanks for sharing the wonderful memory with us! I'm going to try the cake while my Mom's visiting this week! Thanks! xoxo ~CC

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Cottage Rose said...

Hey Susan; Happy Pink Saturday.

I really enjoyed reading your post about you sweet Father in law. How wonderful for you to still have the home made grater. Your pretty pink greater is so cute.

Hugs;
Alaura

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Michelle, All Home and Love said...

There is an award waiting for you on my blog. It is so nice of you to set up such fun postings like Met Monday.
~Michelle

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Rose Broadway (Rosie) said...

What a sweet memory you have of the grater. It shows some of the hardships of our ancestors, and how they were so intelligent to overcome them.

With hard times upon us now, you never know, we might come up with some clever ideas of our own.

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Picket said...

What a beautiful heart touching post girl...what a treasure that grater is! Thanks so much for sharing this memory and the fantastic recipe which I am copying and taking with me! lol lol
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Thank you for the yummy cake recipe! Sweet post on families!

Hugs,
Maryjane

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Envoy-ette said...

Your generosity is truly amazing! Giving a family recipe to Blogland - my mom would have banished me from the keyboard! LOL!
This was a touching story and I'm sure brought tears to many eyes! (mine included!) What a gem your in-laws were.

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

What a lovely story!

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful grater and such a lovely story. Happy Pink Saturday and have a lovely week.

 
At Saturday, January 24, 2009 , Blogger Kathleen said...

What a lovely story, and precious memory! I loved it!

 
At Sunday, January 25, 2009 , Blogger Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Susan what a wonderful story today...I just love things like this..and WAY TO GO CHIP BRAVO!! how great is that girl..I bet your are busting wth pride...You are not going to believe this but Len just bought up a box of china he found in the barn..I bet I got it like 20 years ago at a yard sale..forgot all about it Susan..now I need to do a new TT with it..Oh and I am going to do Met Monday girl..just got all my pictures loaded so I have my post already to go when Mr. Linky goes up..Hope all is weel in your world..did you see my grandson Josh and Kyra on my side bar?? hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

 
At Sunday, January 25, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing post, Susan. One that brought a tear, as well as a smile!

 
At Sunday, January 25, 2009 , Blogger the voice of melody said...

That grater is so special because of who made it - thanks for sharing the sweet story about it. And thanks as well for the yummy coconut cake recipe. It looks absolutely delicious! :)

 
At Sunday, January 25, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted on the grater. I had often thought of suggesting that you do so. Great minds, and all that...

I, too, rarely miss a chance to brag on Chip's grades and class standing at 6 of 175 (see).

Thanks, too, for the pictures.

 
At Sunday, January 25, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Susan. I love this post.

This is the very same recipe my mother always used to make coconut cake. And, it really does melt in your mouth.

Thank you for sharing your very special sweet memories with us.

 
At Sunday, January 25, 2009 , Blogger Stars Fault said...

Susan ~ Thank you for the beautiful post today. If we cold only mirror the resourcefulness of prior generations. We really need so little, and want way too much. Simple joys, simple pleasures, family, a warm home, a loving touch. I hope with this changein our economy, people will return to some of those values held dear by our predecessors.

If we cold only remember this: "use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without"

Blessings ~ Eileen @ Star's Fault

 
At Sunday, January 25, 2009 , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

Susan, your post literally brought tears to my eyes. That is such a precious story! Thank you so much for sharing. It was so moving.

The words coconut cake and ambrosia strike a chord in my heart, too, as my grandmother was the coconut cake and ambrosia queen in our family. She also hand-grated coconut for our Christmas cakes and ambrosia. It is truly a labor of love.

When she was nearing eighty (and had been widowed from my grandfather for almost forty years), her old high school sweetheart came calling. They got married, and he became the coconut grater! ;-) I still miss them (and my parents) more than I can say, and I always smile when I see a homemade coconut cake and ambrosia. :-)

I loved seeing your son assuming that role and passing your family tradition on to a new generation. That is so special.

At some point when my life settles down (long story), I want to participate in your tablescape day. I did it once and had a great time. I just wish I had pictures of the seven tables my friend and I did for antique club last year (we did a different theme on each table) because they were really cute. Maybe I'll have a chance to do this soon. I've got to get through a wedding in March... the daughter of one of my closest friends.

Looks like I've written a book, but I wanted to say thanks again for the blessing of your story..

XO,

Sheila :-)

 
At Sunday, January 25, 2009 , Blogger carolinagirl said...

What a sweet post! It brought a tear to my eye! The cake looks delicious!

 
At Monday, January 26, 2009 , Blogger KatCollects said...

I love your treasured story, such a beautiful memory. Happy belated pink Saturday.
Kathy

 
At Tuesday, January 27, 2009 , Blogger Cynthia's Botanical Arts said...

What a dear story... along with the wonderful music on your blog, I found myself tearing up with the amazing love that is passed down through the generations in the most unexpected ways. Thanks for sharing both the story and the cake recipe.

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home