This Page

has been moved to new address

Dogs, Gardens, and Guns...not necessarily in that order...
Between Naps on the Porch: Dogs, Gardens, and Guns...not necessarily in that order...

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Nov 15, 2008

Dogs, Gardens, and Guns...not necessarily in that order...

Have you ever done a double take? Doesn't happen often, right? Several months ago, I was sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office with one of my clients. It was a long wait and I began to flip through some of the magazines that were lying around on various tables. Eventually we were called back to an examining room where we got the opportunity to do some more...you guessed it...waiting. Again, I glanced around hoping to find something to read. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a magazine that I had never seen before...and I did a double take! What did that just say???

Garden and WHAT?

I picked up the magazine. HUH? Garden and GUN? What kind of combination is that? Had my attention! I begin to flip through the magazine and I found article after article that I truly enjoyed.

So when I got home, I looked it up online and decided to subscribe. Garden and Gun has become one of my favorite magazines.
Garden and Gun describes the magazine this way on their website: "G&G is a southern lifestyle magazine that's all about the magic of the New South — the sporting culture, the food, the music, the art, the literature, the people, and the ideas. It espouses a strong conservation ethic that grows out of its connection to the land, and it reveals the beauty of the South as no magazine ever has."

What other magazine would you open and find articles like this? :-)


There are articles about art, music, literature, southern authors, golfing, hunting, fishing, travel, resorts...
fashion, gardening, preservation of habitat and animal/plant species, and...how to make a mean Mint Julep.

But this posting isn't a sales ad for Garden and Gun. It's my long, rambling southern way of showing you a most interesting photograph. I've been busting to share this pic with all of you out there in blogland, ever since I first saw it.

Apparently, when you subscribe to a magazine called Garden and Gun, you end up on the mailing list for a catalog called Orvis. Guess that makes sense, since Orvis sells the things you need to go hunting, fishing, traveling, etc... Look closely at the pic below...it was inside an Orvis catalog I recently received...

Here's what the caption reads: "French knife makers created ways to lie face down and save their backs...rather than sit hunched over all day...to hone knives on their sharpening wheels. The knife makers brought their dogs to the shop to keep them company and to keep them warm. Dozorme factory...circa 1900's."

Do you see the two doggies snuggled down between their master's legs...is that cute or what? Must have been a bit chilly in that factory, huh?


Does anyone else subscribe to or read Garden and Gun? Did anyone else know that French knife makers used to work lying down with doggies snoozing between their legs? :-)

Tuesday is Tablescape Tuesday...just click on the pink TT logo in my sidebar for all the details...hope you will join us!

Have a great weekend!

Labels:

48 Comments:

At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Susan never even heard of this..a new one for me..Wow what a range of topics it has..and Gardens and Guns don;t even sound like it goes together..unless your shooting gophers in your garden..have a great weekend ..and put me down for Tuesday Susan...had so much fun last week I want to do it again...hugs and smiles Gloria

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger RetiredAtLast said...

That is "one" strange, wild, and unusual magazine. The picture of the men honing knives is a tad beyond strange. This almost qualifies as a "Believe It Or Not" post.
Verrry interesting.

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Oh now I loved this.. I have never heard of this magazine..I know you had a blast pouring thru the pages..and the music was just perfect..I spotted the dogs right off.. this was so different and fun and interesting..You always manage to surprise us. hugs ~lynne~

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Susan
I've not heard of this magazine, but love magazines about the south. I'll have to check into this one!

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Well,well,well...leave it to the French to find an interesting way to work. That's what you call lying down on the job...hehe... Sorry!...I will be looking for the magazine in the grocery store. Any magazine that does an whole article about sweet tea can't be all bad! Thanks for showing it to us!...Debbie

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Stacey said...

Haven't heard of Garden and Gun. Does it appeal to men and women? It does look beautiful.

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Terri Steffes said...

Ok, I am totally blown away (eww, bad pun) by this magazine. And, the dogs, too. I am very intrigued....

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Neabear said...

It must appeal to women if you are in love with it. LOL! That was my response to the comment above. But I have never heard of this magazine either. I love the photo of the men with their dogs. That is a great way to save their backs. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAN,YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE TALKING ABOUT.THIS IS FAR--------OUT,BUT VERY INTERESTING,HMMMMMMM.....ANN

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually saw that magazine about a month ago at the Barber Shop where my son's get their haircut. I skimmed through it, I guess it is an interesting concept! hahaha

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger imjacobsmom said...

Susan, This looks like a great magazine. I'm gonna check this one out. I wonder if they will have here in our Barnes & Nobles. I'm glad I didn't have to work in that knife warehouse - dog or no dog it just doesn't look that comfy! ~ Robyn

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Salmagundi said...

Wow! What a post - always something new and different. Love it! Sally

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you turned a work task into a discovery post! Only you could do that! I swear, I never met anyone who finds more unusual things than you! Don't think I'll be signing on for a subscription so please feel free to pass along any and all information that we might need!
Have a great weekend!

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Jojo said...

Only in the south! What a funny magazine title. One thing about it - it is an attention getter!

Thanks for sharing the magazine as it sounds like a magazine that I would enjoy.

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Miss Janice said...

Susan, I've heard about this magazine and saw it in the store, but never had read it. My daddy probably would have made mama buy it though....

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to read the sweet tea article. People in Oregon think I'm crazy for drinking it. How I miss suh-weeet tahy on the menu!

Are you scouting small towns in this magazine?

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

GLORIA'S point about "shooting gophers in the garden" LITERALLY just cracks me up!!! Looks like alllll the gals are SHARP-WITTED this beautfiful Saturday a.m.!!! Of course, being MARRIED to a bird hunter (who, by the way, just ret'd Thursday nite from one of his annual, week-long Pheasant trips), I have seen this, AND as a DOG LOVER, I could look at this pic constantly for all the SMILES it brings to my face!!! I, too, don't know HOW you do it, SS, but we can "count on you for something new"! Merci, mon ami!!! XO, Linda

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Melissa Miller said...

My sister Michele lives in B'mingham and would love this. Thanks for sharing. Now I have a Christmas idea for them. :)

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Bo said...

Hi Susan...Now I can say I've seen everything (well, almost)...That photo of men & their dogs working is a hoot...Quite ingenious of them though... ;-) Bo

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger NnN said...

Well, I'm not from the South but I LOVE this magazine, and the subjects!! I am going to have to look into it! :) Literally! Susan, I fell in love with the glass ball ornaments that you showed a few posts down, and went out to Hobby Lobby to get them....apparently, there are plenty of people who read your blog in my neck of the woods, 'cause they only had 6 left...now they have 0 left! :) And there were plenty of the other glass balls all around them...just the little snowflake ones were gone, and they were on the BOTTOM!!! So, I think you have a wide fan base! :) I do a silver tinsel tree with all glass balls, snowflakes and icicles...these balls will be perfect! :) Rose (niknnora)

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Four Paws and Co said...

I never heard of that one. Looks like the guys were very cold in there. Love the way the dogs were snuggled up. :0} Diane

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a hoot! It MUST be a southern thing.... ;) That picture of the knife sharpeners is definitely one of a kind. The iced tea looked so good I must go make a pitcher right now! Hugs, Jan

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought my husband was the only person who actually subscribed to this magazine. But I secretly confess to reading every issue, too. I also saw the picture of the french knife makers and found it fascinating. Can you imagine how sore your back would be with a hound laying on your legs all day?

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I've never heard of this magazine, but it does look like it has some wonderful articles. What a strange combination for the title. Maybe I've heard of it and ignored because of the "Guns" in the title! Thanks for sharing it. laurie

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger MIMILEE said...

Love this post, Susan, because my husband and I found out about this delightful magazine by accident also while at the beach recently.....we also subscribed and he said it's the best magazine on hunting that he's seen and he has seen alot!!! We both love it!Great, great magazine!

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger "Blossom" said...

Susan, I would have done a double take on the heading of this magazine too. But it does look interesting. When you get a minute take a look at my new blog it's more fitting to the home decorating and not Brides.
LOL
Blossom

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you love it Susan, I'm sure I will too. I'm subscribing.

Gretchen

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this magazine, but I know I would like it, I like any southern magazine.


Hugs,
chris

 
At Saturday, November 15, 2008 , Blogger Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Well, yes - hasn't EVERYONE heard of 1900's French knife makers lying on their bellies with dogs between their legs? Well, duh! LOL
As a life-long collector of both gardens and guns, how has this magazine escaped me? hmmmm...too may issues of Southern Living is what I say. I WILL be subscribing to this and greatly anticipate my first issue. Thanks for sharing!

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger lvroftiques said...

Heavens to murgatroid! What a wacky title!! Kinda like "Town and Bayonet" Lol!! Things that make you go "HUH?" But Susan if you really like it? It MUST be good!! And I think those are such interesting pictures with the men and their dogs! OK I'm going to check out Gardens and Guns! *winks* Vanna

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger Kay said...

That is so funny! We received a copy of this magazine in the mail a few weeks ago, and my husband and I kept wondering which one of us requested it! I put it in the stack on the coffee table, and it has received so many funny comments for the name. I will have to go back now and actually read it!! Thanks for the "you, too?" moment.

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger kenju said...

I saw that magazine at my hair salon, and thumbed through it, but didn't have time to really read anything. I'll check it out next time.


That knife-making job may be a good one for me - except when I lie face down, my sinuses fill and I can't breathe.....LOL

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

susan, this was great! As a true southern gal I will be looking for this, thanks! vickydarnell

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger Kathysue said...

I have never seen that magazine and believe me I get a lot of magazines, too many. It is an odd name for what looks to be a great magazine, too bad they used the word Gun, that is a turn-off to most of us, but the articles looked fascinating. I have a set of chees knives from that company, I will never use them now without visualizing those men and that dog,haha. This was a fun post, thanks for sharing

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger Belle (from Life of a...) said...

We are Garden and Gun fans at our house also. It was the Sweet Tea article a couple of months ago that hooked me...

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger kenju said...

THANKS for following me, Susan!

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger Tomarie said...

Well...this is a new one to me! How fascinating! Love how the doggies are keeping them company! Man's best friend through and through! :-)

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger mrsben said...

Susan, as a far-Northerner ....Garden and Gun???? It's a verrry ODD combination to me, but as I am not one to judge a book by its cover; I shall take your word that it is great reading.

(Re the workers and their dogs etc.
I guess that was well before the days of UNIONS.)

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger jerseygirl211 said...

Hi Susan,

Interesting post, odd name and who would have thought what it covers.

We were without our phone and computer for three days, while they worked on the system. I felt so removed from everything. But the UPS 'cutie' ;) came with a few Pfaltzgraff, serving pieces, that I 'broke down' and ordered, thought you might like to take a look at them. I posted pictures yesterday.

Hugs
'D'

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never heard of this one! That's a little scary!! I guess you go and shoot your gun at whatever and then come home and sit out in the garden cleaning it! I'm so glad you explained why those men were lying on their stomachs! I thought they were dead!! ;) Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger Unknown said...

Well that beats all! Too funny! I have heard of Orvis though...it's a big deal for people out here in Phoenix that fish. It is considered pretty high end....

~Liz~

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger Lady Katherine said...

I just deleted my comment. Give it another try! That is a neat magazine! You find the neastest things. I would have been desparate to have picked it up, I would thought it was for men. I have to look for it. Its sound so-- Southern.

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Blogger Nancy Rosalina said...

I have seen this magazine, but I never have bought it. Maybe I will try it out. Nancy

 
At Sunday, November 16, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, "THANKS"!!! Went on line & actually ORDERED a subscription for my B-I-L, who is not only an avid bird hunter, but a FANTASTIC, CREATIVE cook who COULD have ALSO been a landscape architect! SOOO, I KNOW that HE will LOVE this!!! My husband interested in that "stuff" OTHER than bird hunting (or golf)??? I DON'T T-H-I-N-K SO!!! Soooo, thanks mucho!!! MyB-I-L's sotcking stuffer gift is done!!! Hugs, Linda

 
At Monday, November 17, 2008 , Blogger BECKY said...

Thanks for introducing me to this magazine! I went to their site and ordered a free trial issue!! I think it's one me and hubby will both enjoy! This is my first time at your blog and I will definitely be back!!
Blessings, Becky

 
At Monday, November 17, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, being a Northern girl, I have never heard of this magazine but do know plenty of Southerners who might just love it, and I will like it for the recipes etc. too! LOVED the picture, spotted the dogs right away and wondered WHAT THE HECK the men were doing???????:):) Pinky

 
At Wednesday, November 19, 2008 , Blogger Tardevil said...

I'm a G.R.I.T. & I've never heard of that magazine, but I would have probably looked at it & thought it was for men...I know, I'm bad to stereotype. It has to be alright if it features a CAROLINA boy!! :O)

 
At Sunday, November 23, 2008 , Blogger Jojo said...

I just bumped into a blog that reminded me of this post and I had to share - Lace and Lures. Maybe your familiar with it but for some reason when I found it it reminded me of Guns and Gardens.

http://laceandlures.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home