This Page

has been moved to new address

ENTRY WITH A GLOW...
Between Naps on the Porch: ENTRY WITH A GLOW...

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Aug 27, 2008

ENTRY WITH A GLOW...



Have you ever noticed each time you decide to pull up stakes and move, you usually have this little list running through your mind...a list of what your next home "MUST have", or else, you would just as soon not move. And then there's that other list...the " WISH it had" list. At present, I am living in my third home, having lived in my first home four years, second home, seven years and now my third for eighteen.

My first home had an entry or foyer, sort of. It measured approximately 4 x 4...as in, feet...as in, tiny...as in, pretty-much-non-existent. Our second home was a bit better, but not much. There was no room in the entry for a table and I realllly wanted a table...with a lamp. On walks in the evenings I would pass by homes in the evening and see the warm glow of a lamp in their entry. It said, HOME...and I craved that.



By the time I was house hunting for the third time, the "must-have" and the "wish-it-had" lists had definitely grown. And running through my head, at the top of the "must-have" list, was the word "Entry" followed by the description, "large enough for a table with a lamp."

I have met so many wonderful friends in Blog Land. I do think it's time I welcomed you into my home. :-) So won't you please come in...I am so glad you are here!




The table with the...well, you know... :-)




Aglow at night...




View from Family Room...




Just in case you missed it the first time :-)




A few details...






Tree of Life rugs (or Tree rugs) are distinct in that they represent one of the oldest spiritual symbols in human history, predating Christianity and Islam. References to a "Tree of Life" that links mankind to heavenly worlds have been found in ancient cultures spanning from Europe to the Orient. (Description from Pak Persian Rugs online)




Quack!




Virginia MetalCrafters...Torch Sconce




See that room through the French doors? Got big plans for that room...one day.
But that's a story for another day. :)


Thanks for stopping by...you are always welcome here! Before you leave...I'd love to hear what's on your "must-have" and wish-it-had" list!

Labels: ,

35 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Susan! This is such a beautiful entry. I'm not surprised since the spaces you've posted are all gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Pam

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Glenda said...

Absolutely love the clock and the niche was a favorite of mine in your post on RMS. The pineapple sconce is the perfect symbol of hospitality.

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

great entry, it looks lovely and welcoming

I found you from cindy, I'm loving the idea of your Tablescape Tuesday, I'm hoping to join in next week if I may, I really enjoy setting the table, what fun...

your tablescape is to die for, I want it in my cottage lol!

Sarah

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Kay said...

Hi, I just found your blog and am bookmarking it. We are in the process of compiling a "must have" list and at the top of the list is a large master bedroom closet.

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger bj said...

Your entry is just breathtaking, as is all of your pretty home.

We've been in our present, humble, little house 32 years and would never, ever move to another one...all my kids lived here and all the grandkids know it as "Memaw's house". So...I don't have a MUST HAVE list. I do, however, love adding things to our cottage and the best thing we did was to double the size of our living room several years ago. We enjoy the "big" room very much.
Have a wonderful day,
bj

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad you have a blog! I've been looking for awhile now at your RMS pictures. You really are gifted.

No blog for me yet but it might happen any day.

Stacey

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Susan,
I love your entry way! I don't have too much of one....but I did get my 'must have' which is a porch! Two of them from which I have divided into 3 spaces.
Have a great day,
Diane

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Janet said...

Susan,

Thanks for inviting us in, no more peeping through the window at dusk! Your entry foyer is beautiful and very welcoming.

Janet @ Housepeepers

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Bo said...

Hi Susan...I love the angle of the Grandfather clock in your entry. You have such excellent and classic taste...I really did feel welcomed in your beautiful home.
;-)

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning dear Susan! Oh, you know how I love your home ~ it's so beautiful just like you! You have the most beautiful furnishings ~ that table in your foyer, the mirror, the crystal vase, the bowl, the grandfather clock...I'm getting dizzy just looking at all the prettieness! I certainly hope your home tour continues! I wanna see more!

Oh, yesterday was so fun with the tablescaping. I ordered the book you mentioned last night from Amazon...supposed to be here a couple of days. You're getting me into trouble, Missy!! lol
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Cathy Miller said...

Beautiful! I just found your blog last night, and I already love it. I covet, yes covet, your wicker porch swing..I am going to find one of those for my back porch soon! Also, love the Tablescape Tuesday. I actually posted a picture of a tablescape on my blog last night after reading your blog! Keep up the good work!

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger nikkicrumpet said...

Your home is stunning...I've loved it since my first visit on RMS. Thanks for giving us a closer peek at all it's glory!

Our current house is my 4th. The first for 16 yrs, the 2nd for 6, the 3rd for 3 and we've been in this one for 3 1/2. My MUST HAVES for this one was a HUGE jetted tub, an inground pool, a fenced yard so I could get a dog, and a library. My WISH I HAD is a front porch...I just love porches but we have a colonial so it will have to remain a "wish".
I hope you have a WONDEROUS Wednesday!

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger imjacobsmom said...

Hi Susan,
I'm on my third house, too. This one had the entry and a larger kitchen, a front porch, and so on. Now after living here for 10 years I wish that I had just two more feet of width on my kitchen and I would love a butler's pantry. And I absolutely would love larger closets in all the bedrooms. ~ Robyn

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning Susan, I love your entry hall and all of the pretty things in it. You have such classic taste and I can tell things were collected over time with love. It's truly a reflection of who you are. Can't wait to wander through more areas of your home. I've been in my home since 1984. I'm probably not going anywhere from here... I just keep building this home! If I had a perfect world, I would want more storage and HUGE closets. Oh, and another bathroom.... and YOUR screened porch! I actually think I could wander through my favorite places on RMS and build the perfect home. Wouldn't that be fun?
hugs~ Carol

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am so glad that you have a blog!! I've loved your posts on RMS and now it's wonderful to see your home in greater detail. Your tablescapes!!!!! How I love them- you are the Queen of tablescapes! You truly could write a book. I look forward to seeing more!! Christy

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, I've just discovered your blog today and what better way than to be welcomed into your lovely foyer. I can't wait to continue my tour through your blog.

Gretchen
birdnestcottage.typepad.com

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I finally saw your site on RMS. I love the grandfather clock. I have always wanted one. My husband and I have lived in 9 homes. Because MONEY is always the biggest factor, I still haven't gotten my wish list. I have a beautiful home, but I would love a fireplace with a mantle, a formal dining room, and a screened in porch. Now I have had all three before, but never in the same house!

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger cindy said...

Susan, awesome entry!..We are in the process of furnishing our new home and on my wish list is a table and lamp and a mirror for the entry!...Just cant seem to find the perfect 'set-up' ...yet. Thank you for inviting us 'in'!...will we get to see more? ~Cindy~

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Cyndy said...

Good Morning! I so enjoyed having a cup of coffee with you this morning. You're always such a gracious host! Absolutely love your entry!
As for my "must have list", we built our house 6 years ago. I drew up the house plans (took me two years) and we built what we hope to be our last house. It's funny how things that were on my must have list changed as were thinking through everything. But I did come away with an awesome front porch.

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger CIELO said...

Believe me, I know exactly what you mean by having "a list of what your next home "MUST have"".... my next home (that is if we ever buy another one) should definitely have an electric outlet on the entry wall... yes, our house have that big beautiful entry you mentioned on your post.... only problem is the builder, deliberately or accidentally, either way forgot to add an outlet for electricity on that wall, so I can't lit my beautiful lamp from dusk to night... now you can imagine what's on my "next" list of “must”....

You have a lovely blog

cielo

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Julie said...

Okay - I have to warn you...you will laugh your butt off after you read my list and then go and see where I live. The list will make total sense though!
1. An INDOOR staircase!
2. A fire place - something I was not allowed to have due to the fire hazzard it would cause!
3. A quiet house, where I no longer have to "sleep through" the sounds of whinneys, barks, baaas and etc.etc. etc.
4. A mouseless house.
5. Pella windows to silence the parade of motorcycles that go by on the weekends since Ride Texas Magazine decided to publish our road as one of the best scenic routes to ride!
6. A Front and Back door.

Okay - that is my list. It is actually about 100 items long, but those are the top 6.

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Kathy said...

Hi Susan, Your entryway is beautiful and inviting, thank you for welcoming us all in, your clock is beautiful and so are your rugs and accessories. When we first moved to the USA we rented a lovely house that I loved the layout of but the entryway was non-existent, so when it as time to buy a home I wanted exactly the same house but with an entryway and I found it, now of course I want a bigger kichen and a pool and a porch just like yours, etc etc haha. have a wonderful day, Kathy.

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Naz said...

I too like having a light by the front door all night long. It just feels right having it there.
What I wish I had was a sunroom like the one my DH built in our former home. Although this house is twice the size as our first home, there is nothing like a sunroom.

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Susan, what a lovely entry! I love having a light in my entry, too. Hmmm, a wish list....a REAL porch ~ front or back, a wrap-around would be yummy!, & an even larger entry than the one I have now, one with enough room for a large elegant center table full of gorgeous fresh flowers!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger Life on the Edge said...

What a welcoming foyer! I love the table and mirror and the grandfather clock, and of course the rug. I don't have a real foyer, just more of an entrance way, but there is room for a small table, which I still haven't found.

My must haves: After living 14 years in a home that didn't have closets, that's now a must have and I have double closets in my current home. Oh happy day! I now must have a dishwasher after getting used to the one here, and a garage. Do I park in the garage though? No, it's full of boxes. For a while I parked it in there and it was great!

Kady

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Blogger life in red shoes said...

My homes MUST have a front porch big enough for a rocker...as I am usually off mine!

 
At Wednesday, August 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, your entry is so inviting. It looks just like you-pretty and welcoming. I am so blessed to have a home that I love. When we remodeled this home, I put in two pantries and a large holiday closet. Those have been on my "must have" forever. Of course, this is only about my 15th residence! But, it is the last. I hope we will get to tour more of your beautiful home. Laurie, a/k/a bargainhunr

 
At Thursday, August 28, 2008 , Blogger lvroftiques said...

Ahhhh Susan your entry is simply perfect! Classic and classy...just like you! I only wish my home had an entry My home is (unfortunately for me)a modern open concept house. Basically two big rooms. Handy for entertaining large groups, but not the stuff of my heart at all. So my next house will need to have an entry,at least 10" ceilings, NO WALL TO WALL CARPET! (Ahem could you tell I hate it? *winks*)And a very private yard. Well that's just the top of my list! Lol! Vanna

 
At Thursday, October 02, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, Good Afternoon, and 'thank you' for such an inviting and beautiful entry! Everything you've shown is awesome; now I'm adding to my 'inside-wish' list. My last 'must have' list was torn up after looking at the 50th+ house. This is our 5th home...I've loved them all, and felt blessed more with each one! Your entry says "welcome w/warmth" and style. Every time I see another design photo of yours, I always say to myself..'gosh, she has great ideas!!'. Thank you, friend.

 
At Thursday, January 29, 2009 , Blogger Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

It's so...so...perfect! And I do mean PERFECT! What an exquisite home you have. It's like being at a lucious dessert table and everything is just too beautiful to eat...Well..anyway..you get the idea! LOVELY!
Mona

 
At Sunday, March 08, 2009 , Blogger Silvia said...

hi i'm silvia, it so nice to meet you..i just love your blog/home,its so beautiful i hope you dont mind me following you..have a great week..and thanks for the inspiration..

 
At Monday, June 22, 2009 , Blogger Sarah said...

Susan, we are in our third home during our 34 years of marriage. Our first home was a duplex we lived in the first year we married. Then we purchased our first house and it was home for the next 20 years. Our present house has been home since 1995. Both of our homes were built in the 30s. Never have lived in new construction, so limited closet space has always been the norm for our homes. On my "wish it had" list would be: a butler's pantry with lots of storage for dishes, a special closet to hang table linens, more built-in bookcases, and somewhat larger rooms. But I'm happy in our home, so no longing to move.

 
At Tuesday, December 15, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon!!! betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com is one of the most outstanding resourceful websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. I will be back.

 
At Saturday, January 23, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your porch entrance is just gorgeous! I am curious to find out where you purchased your pot urns and and the plants you have inside. If you could email me: oneheart58 (at) hotmail.com I would really appreciate it. Your home is such an inspiration!

 
At Wednesday, February 10, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an old grandfather clock like that! I guess I should get it refinished. I'd like to keep the old glass in mine.

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home