This Page

has been moved to new address

Pottery Barn Christmas Garland Tutorial: Welcome to the 150th Metamorphosis Monday!
Between Naps on the Porch: Pottery Barn Christmas Garland Tutorial: Welcome to the 150th Metamorphosis Monday!

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Dec 4, 2011

Pottery Barn Christmas Garland Tutorial: Welcome to the 150th Metamorphosis Monday!

Happy Met Monday!  Hope you've had a wonderful weekend.  I've been busy with more holiday decorating and today a friend and I took a local Christmas home tour.   I took some pics on the tour and I'll be sharing those sometime soon. In the meantime, I'm sharing the start of my Christmas porch metamorphosis with a link to a tutorial in case it's one you would like to copy for your own front porch.

Last year I shared this photo from a Pottery Barn catalog.  I had seriously been drooling over this photo in the catalog for two years straight.  It taunted me with its Christmas charm and sheer beauty.  I'm telling ya, my heart literally skipped a beat each time I opened the Pottery Barn catalog to this page. ~~~SIGH~~~



After lusting after this beautiful entrance for two years, I finally decided to get with the program and create the look for my own porch.  I briefly considered buying the garland, but when I realized the garland was only 5 feet long and it would take 2 strands of garland for each column I decorated, I decided to make my own.

I saved a bundle by making it myself and ended up getting the PB look for less than half of what it would have cost if I had bought the garland ready made from Pottery Barn.  Plus, I got the added bonus of "lit" garland; the PB garland isn't lit.  Here's a photo taken last year of the completed garland.




And here's a photo taken this evening.  I don't have the porch or door decorated yet, will be working on that this week, but I wanted to go ahead and share the garland tutorial now in case you too, have long lusted after that gorgeous Pottery Barn Christmas garland.  The garland is in their catalog again this year.  It must be a pretty big hit since they keep bringing it back.  It's that insanely gorgeous picture that sells it.



Here's a view of the garland with the porch light off.  If you would like to make your Pottery Barn inspired garland, for less than half of what the PB garland costs, you'll find the detailed tutorial here:  Pottery Barn Garland Tutorial-Make Your Own.

That same link contains a video showing how Pottery Barn created this gorgeous photo shoot for the catalog. Pssst: You know all that beautiful snow you see in the photo? Fake. Yep, faux snow. That's the magic of Pottery Barn.   They know just how to capture our hearts, don't they? :)



Happy holiday decorating!  Looking forward to your beautiful Before and Afters!

To receive the latest posts, as well as updates about blog parties, subscribe via an RSS Reader or have BNOTP delivered right to your Inbox.  You'll find links to subscribe via RSS and Email on the sidebar to the right.  Thanks for reading; so glad you are here!

Reading this post via e-mail or RSS feed?
*If you are reading this via email or RSS feed, to view all the Before and Afters linked for Metamorphosis Monday, click HERE.


Metamorphosis Monday:
If you are participating in Metamorphosis Monday you will need to link up the permalink to your MM post and not your general blog address. To get your permalink, click on your post name, then just copy and paste the address that shows up in the address bar at the top of your blog, into the "url" box for InLinkz.

If you'd like to include the MM button in your post, just copy and paste the Met Monday button to your computer or grab the html code from underneath the MM logo under the "Parties" header at the top of this blog.

In order to link up, you'll need to include a link in your MM post back to the host blog, Between Naps on the Porch so your regular readers will be able to find the Met Monday party which ensures your friends and fellow bloggers will receive lots of visits, too.

PLEASE DO NOT type in all caps...it spreads the links waaaay out.

Please do not link posts that are giveaways or advertisements for products.  If you see an inappropriate post linked, let me know and I'll be happy to delete the link if it isn't related to a "Before and After."  It's no fun clicking on a link and finding your time was wasted by a spam or inappropriate link.

Let's try something fun today! Please visit the person who linked before you and after you...that way everyone will get some visits. Hope you'll visit more, of course.


Welcome! Thanks for coming to the party!

Labels:

70 Comments:

At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger laxsupermom said...

Your home looks so beautiful in all it's Christmas splendor! Love your PB knockoff garlands! They look terrific! Thanks for sharing and for hosting this party each week.

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Donna said...

All you need is some snow! So pretty and elegant.
Thank you for hosting the party!
Hugs,
Donna

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger K&B by the Sea said...

Oooh, I LOVE your garlands! If we had columns on our front porch, I'd definitely decorate them just like that :-) As it is, we just have two little potted fake trees on the porch. They look kind of sad & lonely - I really need to get my butt in gear and do some decorating!

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow- your place looks so festive and beautiful!
Thank you for hosting!
Kerry at HouseTalkN

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Okio B Designs said...

God, I love that house in the catalog and your house too! It's a shame the garland isn't long enough though. =(

Jeanine

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, Susan! PB has nothing on you! Your decorations are just lovely! But I can see why you were inspired by their page - your home's front facade is so similar. In fact, I'd love to do a painting of it (with the holiday decor, of course ;)

Can't wait to read your garland tutorial. I always love learning new floral techniques!

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger On Crooked Creek said...

Susan,
Gorgeous!!! I adore the vintage sleigh with the ice skates! This is such a beautiful front porch! Thank you for hosting this weekly meme! I gain much inspiration from you and the ladies in the Land of Blog!
Fondly,
Pat

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger K :) said...

Job well done. So pretty. I am so curious about your door decorations. I, too, have a red door and always struggle with decorating it. Oh, and that red door I have---inspired by your door several years ago!

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That is one of my all time favorite Christmas exterior shots, Susan! I could look at that picture all season. I love the wreaths you did in your windows. I had wanted to do that one year, but hubby nixed it. I think he was afraid of what holes I might make!

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Paula@SweetPea said...

Last Christmas I followed your directions to make my own PB garland. This year I updated it with matching ornament adorned wreaths. Thanks for inspiring me!

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

It's lovely, Susan! Thought we might get a few flakes the other day...but, no! Happy Sunday!...hugs...Debbie

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Kathleen said...

I remember your tutorial from last year. I have pillars too, though about it, but up high on the ladder isn't my cup of tea.
Your home looks beautiful!

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Sewconsult said...

Beautiful, stunning, elegant, and everything else that could be used to describe your house.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Desire Empire said...

Wow Susan you nailed it. Looks lovely. Is your home on this Christmas tour?
Carolyn

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

K, thanks! Love those red doors! HERE's a link that shows the door last year, in case that helps.

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I do remember this from last year and you did an amazing job recreating the garland!!! Way to go girl!!! Can't wait to see it all done too! Thanks for hosting!! XO, Pinky

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Desire Empire...I think I might have heart palpitations if that ever happened. :) No, but my "stalker" house was...one of the historic homes I've driven by and wanted to see inside of for so long.

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Olá! Realmente é encantadora esta decoração, guirlandas tradicionais e lindas..Parabéns pelo bom gosto!
Att: Dorath

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Beautiful! Love the nighttime photos. Makes me want to venture inside for a cup of hot chocolate! Thanks for hosting.

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Oooh so pretty!! My husband just hung up the wreaths on our windows, now I might have to make that garland too!

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your garland looks great! Can't wait to decorate my sled with ice skates (sled I dumpster dived for this summer :)

I'm so excited about this party, so much Christmas gorgeous-ness!

Mary

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Susan the outside of your house looks beautiful! I love the wreaths on all the windows! Thanks for hosting, Martina

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Karena said...

Susan, Gorgeous beyond. I really want to do this!! Pottery barn comes up with the best (albeit expensive) ideas!!

Please Come and enter in Our Twelve Days of Holiday Giveaways. There are so many exciting & special Gifts! Tis the Season!

xoxo

Karena
Art by Karena

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Susan Freeman said...

I love everything ~ especially the sled and the ice skates! Thanks for hosting!!

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Your version is gorgeous and I love all the wreaths in the windows of your beautiful home, Susan. Thanks for hosting. I linked up our tables changed for the Christmas season and I hope that they are suitable for this party.

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Traditions By The Seasons said...

Perfection, Susan, absolutely AMAZING! xo ~Liz

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What a beautiful home you have, Susan! You did a fabulous job on the garland. I love the wreaths in all the windows, too!

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Christie said...

The garland is beautiful and your home is as well! Thank you for hosting! Christie

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Love your Christmas decorations. Thanks for hosting.

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger summerland cottage said...

So festive & beautiful!
Thank you for sharing all the inspiration!

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Sarah said...

You and BJ know how to get the look. All is gorgeous, Susan.

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Your house looks so warm and festive! The garland is great! Thanks so much for sharing and being a wonderful hostess each week!

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your home looks just like a Magazine cover. Beautiful!!!!

Dee

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger Quirky Homemaker said...

Thanks for hosting! Love how your garland turned out! Gorgeous inspiration photo, too.
Michelle
Heartfelt Balance Handmade Life

 
At Sunday, December 04, 2011 , Blogger At The Picket Fence said...

Gorgeous! I love what you created...every bit as pretty as the Pottery Barn garland! Thank you for hosting!

Heather

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Anita Diaz said...

That is just gorgeous!! I also love the wreaths on the windows. I have always loved that look and do it on my house also. Thanks for hosting!!

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Mellodee said...

The PB photo is lovely, even if it is fake snow!! :) Inspiring me to look at our dormer windows again! Thanks for hosting! I'm glad to join in!

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish your site would look much better on my cell . I trust that you possibly will attend to this interest when you get a chance.

As a final note , allow me thank you for your patience with my English as (I'm positive you have become aware this at this moment ,), English is not my number one language hence I am using Google Translate to shape out how to write what I genuinely mean to state.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Anon, thanks for letting me know. I had noticed it didn't look right on my cell recently but I thought it was a glitch on my phone. Since you mentioned it, it dawned on me that it might be the animated banner...with the flashing lights on the house. I just went in and changed it to a non-animated banner and it's working okay now on my phone. Let me know if that fixed it for yours, too. Hope it did. Thanks again for mentioning that.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Ami Allison said...

Oh my gosh!!! I made the wreath from that picture!! I'm not kidding!! It's linked up #182!! Your garland looks amazing!! And wow ur house looks so gorgeous!!!!

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Anonymous Blinds said...

Different designs for home decorations during christmas celebration.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my goodness I'm new to blogging and we were going good until the tech stuff. Love your post and the Pottery Barn pic but I think your is much classier. I'm in Oz so we have a different take on thing here. Come have a look :)
http://myhomedreaming.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-is-here-last.html

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

E' uno splendore la tua casa cara Susan.....
Complimenti!!
Bellissima!!
Baci
Sabry!!

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

First time linking up to your blog! Thanks for hosting. Love your house...so beautiful!

Kristen

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger FABBY'S LIVING said...

The house in the catalog is gorgeous and yours is too, dear Susan; yours is just wonderful with your red door and all. Thank you for hosting MM and I've join caz of course, my house is transformed to C'mas decor too. Merry Christmas! FABBY

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Your home looks wonderful and festive!!

happy to be joining and sharing my couture aprons honoring a grandmother.

janet xox
http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Natasha said...

Oh! I remember this post it is one of my favorites. I thought the garland was so pretty. You made the tutorial look so easy I had to try it myself. I made two extra long garlands but they stay inside and dress up the entrance to my dining room. I also made a wreath. I'm considering making a few more indoor garlands and possibly a bunch for outside. Then my only problem will be... where in the world do I store everything when it is time to take them down. Susan, I love how many great ideas you share and how much I am motivated by them. Thank you!

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger LaurenFaythe said...

That Pottery Barn house had my heart skip a beat! You did a beautiful job replicating that look on your home!

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS said...

WOW!! You're home looks lovely as usual Susan!! Thanks for the tips - and for hosting another great link-up! Been a while since my last visit - We just sold our townhome in Florida, packed up, and moved to Gilbert, Arizona for my hubs relocation!! Can't wait now to take some time and see what the beautiful bloggers have been up to!

Thanks again for hosting... Happy Holidays!

:D Lynda

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

That's gorgeous! Also, cute Christmas header on your blog, too. Thanks for hosting!

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger  Nann said...

Your home is looking so festive. Love the tutorial. I have 12 columns across my porch and have wondered what to do and this looks positively gorgeous. Love how you see a picture and then run with it your way. You're one class act girl!

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Curtains in My Tree said...

your house is just breathtaking beautiful.

You should be so thankful for having such a great house and your home made ( LOL) decorations are perfectly beautiful. I have an old sled I am putting on my little front porch

thanks for sharing this linky post

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Arabella said...

Your house looks so amazing, Susan. Great job! Thanks for hosting & happy holidays :O)

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Calypso In The Country said...

Your house looks incredible! I swear that Pottery Barn catalog page must have been their most popular ever. I think it is the look we all dream as the perfect Christmas! Great job on yours! Thanks for hosting today!
-Shelley

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Angela said...

When I first looked at the thumbnail in my dashboard, I thought the PB house WAS your house. Just wanted to share that last year I used your tutorial and made my own garland for my front door. Used the dollar store bulbs that look like glass but don't break and lighted garland (I think from Home Depot) and it looks great again this year. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Your home is looking so amazing!!! I only wish my Christmas decor was up to this level! I shared my entryway update and a fun wreath @ #301. Thanks for hosting! Gotta go check out some other entries. Have a great week!
Sherry @ Pondered Primed Perfected

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you removed my link why?

Regards
Elna

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Elna,
I haven't removed any links. If you linked up, it should still be there.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Mary said...

Beautiful as always! I followed your instructions last year and made a garland for my niece who used it on her fireplace mantel.

Love your house!
Mary
From Virginia

 
At Monday, December 05, 2011 , Blogger Modern Country Lady said...

Wow- it looks amazing.Totally inspired , especially by the red front door !!better get crafting on some wreath for the outside for myself, pronto :-))

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2011 , Blogger Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Hi, Susan,
Your home looks so much more beautiful than the PB house. The
lights made such a difference.
I linked to your tutorial on my
blog. Thanks for doing this.
It's a gorgeous garland.
Happy Holidays To Everyone,
Susan

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2011 , Blogger Tonya said...

Your house looks beautiful already!!! Can't imagine how nice it's going to look when it's done!!

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2011 , Anonymous Lissa (Bellenza) said...

Your house looks breathtaking! It must give you such a thrill to light up that garland each night!

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely like it! It is exactly on the right spot between the clean and the "too much" decoration, perfect harmony with the house, lights and everything... amazing work, totally like it!

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Your photos have inspired me for next year. Yes next year, because the wreaths are already hung this year. thanks for hosting!!!

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2011 , Blogger Kahli said...

Thanks for hosting! Love the decor, especially that garland! I haven't done any decorating for the holidays and I'm not even sure I'll get to :(

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2011 , Blogger labbie1 said...

How beautiful! I love the sled and skates too! :)

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2011 , Anonymous Michele/Ohio said...

Oh Susn! PB has got nothin on you, hon! YOu did a FABULOUS job and you have the most stunning "Christmas decor" kind of house.

Your dark pic with all your lights on in the house with the wreaths on each window actually took my breath away.

Your garland looks exactly like the PB one.

WOW- what an impressive job! Whew!

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2011 , Anonymous Sarti said...

Wonderful decoration. Season greetings but with touch of class :)

 
At Thursday, December 08, 2011 , Anonymous Chimney Sweep Portland said...

Wow, your house must be the envy of your whole neighborhood:-)

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home