This Page

has been moved to new address

Wormsloe
Between Naps on the Porch: Wormsloe

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

May 24, 2011

Wormsloe

I've been to Savannah, Georgia many times over the years. Each time I've visited this historic city, when it came time to leave and head back home, I always thought, "Fiddlesticks! I did it again!" I came all the way to Savannah and didn't find that awesome road...the one with the arching trees overhead. I was always so disappointed and mad at myself that I kept forgetting to ask where it was and how to get there. Do you know the one I'm talking about? You always see it in lots of magazines.

Well, I finally got there. I just spent three wonderful days in beautiful Savannah and this time, I tracked down THE ROAD.

It turns out the wonderful, mysterious road is called Oak Avenue and it's located on the grounds of Wormsloe, now a Georgia State Park.



I left all the pics in this post nice and large so you could click on them to enlarge them even more. Here's the brochure you're given when you visit Wormsloe and it explains the history of this place.



Oak Avenue is a long, straight road, lined with four-hundred (400) Live Oaks. It is 1.5 miles long and it's beautiful, mysterious, eerie, enchanting, magical and a must see if you're ever in Savannah. I took this first pic near the entrance after 3 cars had just left. I loved the mysterious feel of the avenue with the dust from the cars still lingering in the air.




I drove slowly down Oak Avenue, stopping 3-4 times to take pictures. Toward the end, the grass fades out due to the heavy shade and the Spanish moss is really thick in the trees. Hope you enjoy this stroll down Oak Avenue.





Click on this pic to ENLARGE it for the full effect of driving under all these beautiful oaks dripping in Spanish moss.





Have you ever visited Wormsloe? If you're headed to Savannah anytime soon, I recommend you take time to go. It's just a hop, skip and a jump from Historic Bonaventure Cemetery so you can see both while you're there. :)

Labels:

25 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Richard Cottrell said...

I love the South. I love those live oak trees that are every where in the South. I have never made it to Savanah . I want to go so bad. Thanks for sharing Richard at My Old Historic House

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Hi Susan,
I'm glad you had a good trip. I'm going to Savannah in June to celebrate a teacher friend's retirement. Perhaps we'll visit Wormsloe based on your recommendation. The photo reminds me of the entrance to Boone Hall in Mt. Pleasant, SC. We just planted 4 live oak trees last month. I cannot think of a more beautiful tree.

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

I love Savannah, I have to find this place!!
Great pictures!!

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Debbie said...

I've been several times and loved it each time. The entrance alone makes it trip worthy. I took several of my classes when I was teaching, and they always loved it.

Great post, Susan.

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

Beautiful!! Have you visited the "
Angel Oak" outside of Charleston, SC. Pretty amazing!

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Carrie, I haven't visited Angel Oak. Is it beautiful?

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Gardening in a Sandbox said...

What a beautiful estate. I can see why you searched it out. V

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Sheila said...

I too would like to visit Savannah. (I'm a big Paula Deen fan! ;) ) But--I have trouble enduring heat & humidity. What would be the best time of year to visit there? Loved the live oak pics!

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Sheila, if you're trying to avoid the heat and awful humidity, just don't go from about July through September. It's really, really hot and humid then. April and May are great times to go.

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Neha@ All things beautiful said...

Wow Susan, the pictures are gorgeous. The place looks beautiful...definitely on my list of places I'd like to visit!

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Pam said...

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I have wanted to go to Savannah for a long time. I think it would make a great friends trip.

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Rashon Carraway said...

I took my mother to Savannah last year for her birthday. Although she has been many times with Dad, it was a great mother son outing.


The next time I will certainly track down Wormsloe for just a nice casual walk. It looks so mysterious.


Rashon aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Jess said...

So beautiful!! I have seen this many times in photos- so great to know where it is!

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Blondie's Journal said...

These are beautiful pictures, Susan. Worth framing!

XO,
Jane

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger FABBY'S LIVING said...

I'm so glad you found it Susan, so you can show us like you did! That is one gorgeous state, this always reminds me of one of my favorite vintage movies I own: Gone With The Wind! Fiddlesticks!
Love
FABBY

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I love Oak Alley! The drive and oak trees can't be beat anywhere!

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Savannah has been on my "bucket list" for some time......maybe someday! I would love to see those oak trees! Thanks for the post, I've made note of it.

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 , Blogger Sarah said...

Susan, I've been to Savannah twice and didn't see this either time. Guess I need to go back! ~ Sarah

 
At Wednesday, May 25, 2011 , Blogger emmalina.lolly said...

Whoa, we have a poster of this road and I didn't even know where it was. Yet I always said "It looks like it would be in Georgia." The best part is we're headed to Savannah next week!! Thank you so much for posting this!

 
At Wednesday, May 25, 2011 , Blogger Savannah Granny said...

Miss Susan, I could just spank you!! You were sooooo near my home. I so wish I had known you were here. I would have loved to have taken you to lunch or prepared something for you. If you get back down here you had better let me know. If not, you are gonna see one wildly ranting Savannah Granny. I am going over to look at your tour on Isle of Hope. I can spit muscadine seeds over there from my porch! Hugs, Ginger :)

 
At Wednesday, May 25, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

LOL Sorry about that, Ginger. I was there with a friend and we only had a long weekend to get in all the sights. :) I'm sure I'll head that way again sometime...Savannah is one of my very favorite places to visit. :)

 
At Monday, May 30, 2011 , Blogger Denise said...

Love this place! My daughter had her engagement pictures taken here two years ago. As you can only imagine, the pictures were awesome. Great post.

 
At Sunday, January 08, 2012 , Anonymous Jocelyne said...

Hi Susan,
I don't think I'll ever go to Georgia so thank you for sharing your pictures of this wonderful path. It reminds me of The Mall in Central Park,NY.

 
At Sunday, January 08, 2012 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Jocelyne, I'm glad you left this comment. I had forgotten about this post and it was fun taking a mini-vacation and visiting it all over again. I hope you clicked on the pics...you really get the full effect when the pic enlarges. :) I hope you get to visit Savannah someday...it's a special place.

 
At Friday, January 13, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been to Savannah while on a visit to the USA. Liked that place very much. Great place to walk about.

But missed this Oak Avenue. Sad!

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home