This Page

has been moved to new address

A Little Fun Around Blogland
Between Naps on the Porch: A Little Fun Around Blogland

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Jan 7, 2011

A Little Fun Around Blogland

Make your own ornament placecard holders for Easter, similar to what I used HERE. Lydia has a great tutorial at Saturday Morning Treasures




Make a doggie bed from a suitcase like Brian did at Decor Demon!




Check out some great bathroom "Before and Afters" all across Blogland at Centsational Girl.




Take a tour of this year's HGTV Dream House in Vermont.




Ever wonder what it would look like if you painted the inside back of your bookshelves from white to a bold color. Sherry and John made a dramatic change to theirs and you can see the new look at Young House Love.



I'm just starting to work on a little project in my home. It's going to involve converting my son's old room (shown below) into an office area for yours truly. I've never really shared this room with you guys because frankly, it has been a mess since he went off to undergrad school. I kept thinking on one of his trips back home for the holidays, he might have time to go through everything and box stuff up. But whenever he's here, we have so few days to visit, I haven't had the heart to ask him to spend it packing things up. He did go through all his clothes on one trip home, so at least that's done.

Soooo, it looks like it's up to me, hence all the boxes you see in the floor. The plan is to box everything up, put it in the basement and one day he can sort through it all and decide what to keep. In the meantime, I'll be sharing the ideas I'm bouncing around for this room and a HUGE dilemma I'm facing. I'm linking this project to Nester's Home Goals Party! Check back on Sunday evening when I'll reveal more of this room and my big plans. :)

33 Comments:

At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger The Painted Cottage said...

Can't wait to see what you have in store for your new office! :)

- Lauren

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Anonymous begin with a Sunny Outlook said...

Seems like the perfect opportunity for a Mom Cave!

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

It is going to be a fun re-do, Susan, and I can see it as a Mom Cave, too. :-)

Loved all of these projects you pointed out to us, and I like that color in the back of the bookcases very much. I've been thinking of painting the backs of mine in a complimentary color, but I haven't decided what yet. It will depend largely on what I end up doing in an adjoining room.

XO,

Sheila :-)

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hey, I'm liking this Mom Cave Idea. :)

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Pam Kessler said...

Well, I boxed up my room belongings at my Mom's house 30 years ago and I finally went through it and moved it out of the attic three years ago (when we sold her house). So better find a nice place to store it. I can't wait to see what you do with the room. So many possibilities.

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I finally got rid of almost everything of my kids a few years ago. Notice I said ALMOST everyting:) Can't wait to see what you are going to do but you also have me curious about the HUGE dilemma!!!! XO, Pinky

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Sheila said...

Good luck with that! I boxed up my sons things about 10 years ago & he recently let me know that they are here indefinitely. Ug!!! I plan on getting some totes, labeling them & sticking them in a corner of the attic to be discovered when it is their duty to clean this place out! And we don't even have a basement. : )

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Samantha said...

How exciting to have a whole room that you get to take over!!

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Tamara Jansen said...

I am just finished making a pair of chandeliers for my son's wedding last week. They turned out great! Of course, I had to post about this fun little DIY project.

Lots of fun in blogland, that's for sure!

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Donna said...

Big project....but so exciting!

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Vanessa said...

I'm sure you'll design yourself a gorgeous office. Share the progress with us!

(And when I finally have an animal bed I'm making it one of those awesome beds!)

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Hi Susan,
Can't wait to see it...you are so creative! I'm sure it will be fantastic!
Looking forward to it...
Cindy

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Decorating Ideas said...

Loved the light fixture in your laundry room! Beautiful!

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Lisa Porter said...

This is a heart tugger! Look at those book shelves! Many good years spent there....I know I'm not helping am I!
Will be looking forward to your new digs though!
I'm also looking forward to another tablescape with you, hopefully soon.
Have a great weekend.
Lisa

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger On Crooked Creek said...

Susan,
We went through the same thing with our son. We packed everything up and put it in the garage. He finished school, moved from home, married. . .boxes still in the garage. THEN, when we moved here. . .he went thgough the boxes. Kept more than I thought he would. There will be a day when it's the right time for the decisions of what to keep. . .what to toss!
Those windows in the room are certainly intriquing looking! Keep us posted on what's next! I'm needing to do a Master bedroom re~do. One never knows where inspiration might come from.
Fondly,
Pat

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Sunny Simple Life said...

My girls room so looks like this right now except they still live here. We have been painting it and have everything moved around. It is looking nice though.

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Mary said...

Having recently sold my parents' home (both are deceased) cleaning out the attic was NOT fun. My baby-dolls, Barbie house, cheering stuff from high school were STILL there. I have grown kids! LOL

This is what my sister did with her girls' things. She took pictures of their "stuff" emailed them and asked three questions, Pitch? Box up? Donate? There was a lot of donating and pitching!

I can't wait to see how you turn this room into an office. I know it will be beautiful! Will a trip to Classy Flea be coming up to look for pieces to be used in the office? :)

Mary

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Jojo said...

I have a ton of "boxed up" things from 2 of my 3 kids in my basement and my guess is that they will never voluntarily go through any of their things. When we moved 5 years ago we had no choice but to box and store. At this point they are forgotten. "IF" I had time, I would love to scan and electronically save all the papers to at least reduce some of the boxed items.

Can't wait to see the new office!

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Blondie's Journal said...

I think boxing everything up is a great idea and an efficient one. I'd like to do that with my girl's rooms and they still live at home.

XO,
Jane

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Unknown said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with but remember one thing, they sometimes come back home after college. Keep an extra bed somewhere.

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely places to go visit. Have a great evening.

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susan! Oh, fun! You'll have your own special place! Whatever you do I know it will be wonderful just like everything else you do.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan I hear ya on the packing..My oldest has been married for 10 years and this past summer her dad and i said do ya think you could take some of these boxes from the basement to your basement..Needless to say they are still here..ha ha..Can't wait to see what ya do with the room..Loving your posts..

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

uh oh....HUGE Dilemma...not sure I like the sound of that!

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Nancy said...

Boy, this post makes the world so small!

We just sold our home in Stowe, VT. I'm not saying anything other than if you win that HGTV Dream Home, be prepared to live on an island, WITH snow!!! It is isolated...be sure to give up shopping, too. My husband just had dinner at the Green Mountain Inn tonight. Me? I'm sitting in much warmer CA! :-)

Your son's room looks all This End Up'y like my son's. He is a junior at college. SO, can't wait to see what happens with the redo.

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Anonymous Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

What a great room. I bet it will make a wonderful space for you.

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger LydiaO said...

Squeeee! I got a apotlight on BNOTP! I wondered why I had all that traffic! Thanks Susan!
I love the windows in your new office. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

 
At Friday, January 07, 2011 , Blogger Susanne said...

It's my goal to get both my college kids to go through all the stuff they have left in their rooms.....before they go back to school. Yikes! That's little over a week! Where has the time gone?
Susanne.

 
At Saturday, January 08, 2011 , Blogger Lisa said...

Good luck Susan!
I know whatever you have in mind will be wonderful...Can't wait to see!
Hugs, Lisa

 
At Saturday, January 08, 2011 , Blogger megan said...

That should be fun Susan, watching you create an office. One thing though, are you going to finish your library first? I am longing to see that one. :)

 
At Saturday, January 08, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Megan, I'm afraid the library may have to wait a bit. My aching back needs an office and a good desk chair a lot more right now. Wish I could do them both right now...but it's not in the ole budget.

 
At Saturday, January 08, 2011 , Blogger Kate Riley said...

Hi Susan, thanks so much for the linky love, you always have the best roundups!
xo
Kate

 
At Saturday, January 08, 2011 , Blogger Lizabeth said...

Hi Susan-
I faced this a little sooner because I needed the bedroom for a guest room. Of course now occasionally he's the guest, but we still call it Ryan's room :) I got plastic totes and put the things in them. Someday I hope he enjoys seeing the stuff again! The room will be fabulous for an office/moms cave! Now I'm curious what the HUGE dilemma is? :)

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home