This Page

has been moved to new address

The Gift
Between Naps on the Porch: The Gift

Between Naps on the Porch

Between Naps on the Porch is a lifestyle blog with an emphasis on Decorating, Tablescaping, Before and Afters, Thrify Finds, and Gardening.

Jan 22, 2011

The Gift

Hi Everyone!
Hope you're having a wonderful weekend! I thought I'd do a little "rug"shopping this weekend. I'm on a quest for a fun, whimsical rug for the home office I'm working on with the hopes of avoiding the plastic floor protector thingy...ugh.

While I've been working my patooty off moving furniture, cleaning out closets, boxing and hauling stuff to the basement and garage and stripping wall paper, I decided to treat my tired self with a book I've been wanting to order for a long time, Where Women Create. I ordered it and a second one by the same author called, Where Women Create: Book of Inspiration, then I got back to the exhausting (and sometimes sad) job of cleaning out my son's old room.

A few days later I received an e-mail from the seller of the book, Where Women Create, saying it was listed in error and was no longer available. (Don't worry, I've since found it online and ordered it again.) The e-mail said a little gift was on its way to me for this mistake.

A few days later, a package arrived and when I saw what was inside, I knew I had to share it with you. The letter inside said, "I have enclosed a little 'dream pouch' as a gift for your time and effort and for our mistake. The little pouch provides a place to write down 'your dream' keeping it close to you as a daily reminder to never lose site of your dreams.




Inside I found this little envelope...




And inside the envelope was a darling little pouch made from very thick felt. Attached to the pouch were a few sparkly beads and a tiny silver charm engraved with the word, "Dream."




Inside the pouch was a little slip of paper...




It's the perfect size for jotting down a few thoughts about a dream you carry in your heart.




This little pouch appears to be handmade. There are tiny stitches holding the little silver necklace/thread in place. It's very small as you can see...wouldn't take up much room in a pocket or a purse. I love the little sparkly bead on the end of the necklace. I think these would be fun to make and enclose in a card to a friend.




I've always felt deep in my heart...that which we focus on and think about, will eventually come to pass. I've seen this happen many times in my own life. What dream do you carry in your heart? What would you write upon this tiny slip of paper?

40 Comments:

At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Tammy said...

That is adorable. So sweet.

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Susan said...

That was a very unique gift, Susan. I have a couple of things I would write down. Thank you for sharing. Susan

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I can't share what I would write but I do have a dream. I love this little pouch. I may do something like this with an old, very small change puse that was my Mothers. Thanks for the idea. XO, Pinky

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Tina said...

What a thoughtful little gift..

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger La said...

First, this is an amazing display of customer service. Secondly, this is the sweetest idea I've seen in some time. The little pouch is beautiful and would make a wonderful gift.

Thanks for sharing. La

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Stella said...

What a great idea for a special gift for your friends and family. Just think when one dream comes true you can add another. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Wow, that's a great company! I have a few things that I would write...I'm thankful that though I don't have this sweet little paper to jot them on, The Lord knows them all! So sweet Susan...thanks for sharing!
Cindy

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Lori E said...

Such a nice gesture. This is certainly something one could do for co-workers. Hmmmm.

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Jayna Rae said...

Very cute! I might have to repurpose this for my Bible Study girls. It would be a great way for us all to keep focused on the main thing.

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Morning Susan,
What a fun surprise!! and get customer service relations I must say.
That would be something cute to make for a friend or someone you know is awaiting the answer to their dream.
Thanks for showing us, it really is a darling idea.
Have a Very Nice Weekend hon,
Nellie

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger The Tablescaper said...

It's not too often a retailer apologizes, let alone in such a way. You might want to share who you attempted to order the book from so we can repay their great gesture with business. It's wonderful to deal with a retailer that really cares.

- The Tablescaper

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Tablescaper...I ordered it from the retailer showing in the first picture, Penelope Page Books. The address is in the second picture. I think it's readable but if not, click on the photo and it should enlarge a little. I would definitely order from her again.
Susan

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger JoyceG said...

I agree with the previous comments about the exceptional customer service. So often we focus on poor service, instead of recognizing these types of efforts that go above and beyond. What a great post!

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Kathysue said...

What a lovely sentiment. Hmmmmmm? I have to think about my dream. I feel pretty content with my life, but I am sure there is more to be offered from above. I agree about what you said about what we think or dwell we will bring to ourselves. That is probably why I take the Pollyanna road most of the time,hehe. Have fun looking for your rug!! Check overstock, they usually have great prices, Kathysue

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

I love hidden treasures! They are super special!

Thanks,

Valerie
www.lovingmyheartandhome.blogspot.com

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Marian said...

My dream is to move to the Pacific Northwest. I say it, think it, breathe it, wish it but so far it's a dream that won't manifest before me in real life. Maybe I need to put it on paper in a felt pouch.

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger On Crooked Creek said...

Susan,
I adore the part about keeping your dreams close at hand so you never lose sight of your dreams!
Thank you for this post. Enjoy your new book. I have the soft back version of Where Women Create! It is amazing!
Fondly,
Pat

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger An Oasis in the Desert said...

Hey, sweet lady, I've presented you with a couple of awards. Come over to my blog & check it out.
CAS

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Mary said...

What a fun and kind surprise!

I'm glad you were able to find your book.

Mary

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Jojo said...

That small gift is almost as nice as the new book and a perfect gift for beginning of the year.

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Heaven's Walk said...

That was so sweet, Susan! And yes, it would make a wonderful little surprise inside any card one would send out. Those tiny gifts are sometimes better than big ones. :)

My word for the year? FOCUS!!! lol!

xoxo laurie

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Lisa said...

Susan:
Darling little gift!

Information only: As a former flooring/design person. If you can't do a hard surface, consider glueing down a low pile carpet. Or if you must keep your carpet, remove the pad from the carpet you have, relay and glue it down. All this to avoid the ugly plastic thingy. If you can't do any of this, just bite the bullet, cause that chair will rip up your floor. The MOST durable floor (since you have already made the MDF cabinet plunge) is laminate wood look flooring. It will last longer than you and I sister, is affordable, and they make some now that you would have to get down on your knees and feel to know they weren't real. And your chair will not damage it, after years of use!
Hugs, Lisa

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Oh sweet Susan, no matter what your posts' are always uplifting! I love this little pouch, what a wonderful idea. I think I would jot down my dream...to either do interior redesign and/or event planning in my next 1/2century:)
By the way, I have that book, a friend gave it to me and its just delightful. Just think your new office will the place "you create" once its all done:) All the hard work (and tears) will be worth it.
Hugs,
Terry

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Aprons Gone Wild said...

What a sweet and touching thing to receive! That's what I call getting a "warm fuzzy" in the mail!
Joanne

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Mary Ann Pickett said...

Dream...such a lovely sentiment.
Mary Ann

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Blondie's Journal said...

How sweet!! Very unique...I hope you are happy with the inspiring books! I would write GRATITUDE on the slip of paper...it is my word for the year!!

XO,
Jane

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger kate blue said...

I would write in teeny print my dream that my son would soon depart ways with his apraxia and speak with ease :)

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2011 , Blogger Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kate, I'm saying a prayer this evening that your dream comes true, and soon.

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Blogger The Quintessential Magpie said...

What an adorable gift, Susan, and I know you're going to love having it.

If I were to write down a dream? I'd have to give it some thought, but I have an idea, but I can't tell my dreams till they come true! ;-)

XO,

Sheila

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Blogger Lisa said...

Kate:
Prayers tonight that your dream comes true for your son.

Hugs, Lisa with love

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Anonymous Pam @ Our Adventures in Home Improvement said...

I love that this seller thinks so much of her customers to do something so sweet!

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Blogger FABBY'S LIVING said...

Thank you for sharing Susan...I have something I'd like to write there!

Love
FABBY

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Blogger Ann Haller said...

Hi Susan,
I too, hate those ugly plastic covers for office floors. They ruin the look of the prettiest offices. After the twins left for college, we built a beautiful office on the first floor. We had custom bookcases and built in desk. There was no way I was slapping down a "office store" plastic protector. I found a bamboo one online. You can order different colors to coordinate with the desk or furniture. They are a little on the pricey side but it has held up and still looks great.

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Blogger Merlin said...

That "little gift" just shouts "Valentine's Day!" xoxo
franki

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Anonymous Snippets said...

How sweet! I just gave my daughter something similar to this for Christmas. It is a little pewter envelope on a chain. Two hummingbirds (also pewter) look like they are carrying the envelope. The envelop actually opens and inside is a little pewter card saying "I love you". How creative people are!

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Blogger Simple Daisy said...

That is so very sweet!! I love it:)

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Blogger Savannah Granny said...

Susan, this is such a sweet gift. I can only imagine the sweet lady who sent it. In today's world of what passes for "customer service" this is a miracle. Thank you for sharing this thoughtful act.
I dream of a better world for my grandchildren. Wishing them good health, a loving spouse and as great a family as I have had.
Hugs, Ginger

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Blogger janet said...

Wow, it has been so long since i have visited your blog, i have been a bad blogger lately. Your blog is bigger than ever but still a great place to visit. What a special little gift and glad to hear that you still get your book.
hugs
janet

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Anonymous EFT Manual said...

So cute and wonderful! It's such a sweet way to appreciate someone.

 
At Sunday, January 23, 2011 , Blogger CHERI said...

What a precious gift. Little things sometimes offer up great rewards.

 

Post a Comment

Have BNOTP delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. BNOTP is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are snarky, mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to BNOTP's much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Between Naps on the Porch!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home